Best/Safest/Most reliable PSU for around $30 or so

Kev79

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014
I was originally thinking of getting this "Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze PSU" ( http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx430 ), mostly because of the affordable price, considering my budget for this build was $600, OS included; However, I've had several people tell me that it's not a good PSU at all (done a bit of research as well), then again, others have told me it would be fine. I understand it's not top of the line (obviously being that cheap), and I don't know if I can find a real great one for $10 more or so. If it helps, here is what the build looked like (I purchased pretty much all the parts already, just need to figure out what PSU to get):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($118.97 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus H81M-E Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($58.99 @ Mac Mall)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Zalman ZM-T1 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($27.99 @ Mwave)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $590.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-11 09:29 EDT-0400)

Gotta' run out for a little while, so I won't be able to reply any time real soon after posting this. Check it when I get back. Appreciate any suggestions/recommendations!
Thanks!

Solution
The Antec VP is a great PSU, I would go that way then.

The CX430 is a fine budget PSU. It's not great by any means, but in a system with an i3 and a 60w GPU, you won't be stressing it at all, so it's not really a problem. The CX series runs into problems when people push them too far by overclocking, and trying to pull more amperage than is available.

Kev79

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014

Yeah, I'm thinking it would be fine too, but wondering if I might be better off going with something like this: Antec 450W ATX (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-power-supply-vp450). Or this one: ENERMAX NAXN ENP450AST 450W ATX12V ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194090 ). I'd actually end up paying less up front for the Antec (as opposed to the $39.99 for the CX430, then waiting for a $20 rebate), while the Enermax would be $39.99 up front and a $10 rebate, making it $29. Ohhhh, again, decisions decisions!!! haha

One of the reasons I am second guessing it, is because of things I've been reading about the mfr of the CX430 (CWT - Channel Well Technology). There's some very good articles out there on power supplies, but so far, I haven't seen one that absolutely bashes the CX430, or says that it's junk or anything (aside from some customer reviews, which I've learned not to rely on as much as I'd like to), so I suppose I'd be fine either way.

The Antec VP is a great PSU, I would go that way then.

The CX430 is a fine budget PSU. It's not great by any means, but in a system with an i3 and a 60w GPU, you won't be stressing it at all, so it's not really a problem. The CX series runs into problems when people push them too far by overclocking, and trying to pull more amperage than is available.

Solution

Kev79

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014

which I won't be doing. I guess one of the reasons why I was considering something that was a little higher, like 450w or maybe even 500w, is so that I don't have to buy a new one in the future when I may eventually want to get a newer GPU. Then again, as long as this system runs smoothly and doesn't give me any issues, I don't see myself needing or wanting to upgrade anything for a long while! Damn it, why can't I just make a freakin' decision already! Hahaha.

On a positive note, I did order everything else on that list, with the exception of the HDD, because I'm getting that from Amazon and gonna' bundle it with some other non-computer-related things for the free shipping.

Kev79

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014

Yeah, I think that's one of the units that I was doing some research on; looks pretty good. I just don't want to go with the wrong PSU, because I keep hearing all these horror stories of power supplies dying and taking the motherboard with them, etc. etc. It's a little concerning, especially when one person says a particular PSU is good and that I'll be fine, and another person says that it's poor quality and I'd be better off getting something else, etc. etc. lol... has me going around in circles!