Question Best SBC's out there for cloud storage

NJackson7

Prominent
Oct 26, 2020
I need some help figuring out some examples of SBC's that would be good to make into personal cloud storage devices. I don't really know what I'm looking for in terms of the specs of the SBC, so If people could either give a direct example SBC or just let me know the sort of specs I'm looking for that would be great.

Currently, I have 4/5 example SBC's listed (I don't know if these are all good cloud for cloud storage, I'm just going off what I've gathered from various sites):
Raspberry Pi 4
Asus Tinker Board S
Odroid XU4
Pine64 RockPro.

Any information is really appreciated.

NJackson7

Prominent
Oct 26, 2020
I should clarify: both the Odroid and Pine examples were found from a site telling me they were good NAS SBC's. Idk if being good for NAS makes them good for Cloud functions, but i specifically need them to be good for turning into a cloud storage device.

What storage (SATA, USB, etc) you plan to use? This will limit your choices.
Aside from that - you don't need super-duper SBC for a NAS which will be primary accessed from cloud (over slow Internet link). Get an RPi 3, play with it, install eg Nextcloud, see how it works.

NJackson7

Prominent
Oct 26, 2020
What storage (SATA, USB, etc) you plan to use? This will limit your choices.
Aside from that - you don't need super-duper SBC for a NAS which will be primary accessed from cloud (over slow Internet link). Get an RPi 3, play with it, install eg Nextcloud, see how it works.
The project I'm doing is trying to choose the best 3/5 examples to use for an SBC portable cloud storage device for small document & pdf storage, so I would say its probably going to use either sd cards or USB sticks.
I have found another example in the mean time, so now my example list is the following:
Raspberry Pi 4
Asus Tinker Board S
Odroid XU4
Pine64 RockPro
ODYSSEY X86J4105800
However i still don't know whether these devices are even built to host a cloud storage method. I am just going off of what a lot of different sites say.

Unless you're talking about Google/Amazon/Microsoft/etc, devices are not specifically "built" for cloud storage. Two things are important for every storage server: connectivity, and storage.

None of devices on your list are specifically built for cloud storage, to start with. They will perform more or less the same on any 100MBit connection (and I doubt you'll have 100MBit/sec upload Internet connection). So, unless you are doing a homework, and not an actual project - yes, they will perform the same. Otherwise - make a table, which list each device' CPU/RAM/storage/network capabilities, and sort it out.

NJackson7

Prominent
Oct 26, 2020
Unless you're talking about Google/Amazon/Microsoft/etc, devices are not specifically "built" for cloud storage. Two things are important for every storage server: connectivity, and storage.

None of devices on your list are specifically built for cloud storage, to start with. They will perform more or less the same on any 100MBit connection (and I doubt you'll have 100MBit/sec upload Internet connection). So, unless you are doing a homework, and not an actual project - yes, they will perform the same. Otherwise - make a table, which list each device' CPU/RAM/storage/network capabilities, and sort it out.

Many thanks for the information, should be helpful in the project :) I will also be comparing the level of community involvement for each SBC, as I am aware the community surrounding Raspberry Pi makes it quite a good choice.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Many thanks for the information, should be helpful in the project :) I will also be comparing the level of community involvement for each SBC, as I am aware the community surrounding Raspberry Pi makes it quite a good choice.
As said above, none of them is particularly good for a storage server. And you are competing with commercially available purpose build devices like the DS120J. It is about $100 on NewEgg right now and can saturate a gigabit ethernet.

Reactions: scodd