[SOLVED] Best set up for combined extended and backup storage

AxelMagnus

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
I'm planning on soon switching my setup to a MacBook Pro + external storage. However, I have a few questions on how to best set this up.

I currently have about 5 TB of data that I need to have backed up, so aiming for 10 TB will be good enough for a few years.

So what I'm hoping is that for example a QNAP HS-453DX with two 10 TB IronWolf drives will have the following attributes:
- Silent enough for daily use in a small apartment while working with music.
- Have an incremental backup set up on the NAS that runs automatically between the two drives. Maybe have on month backlog of file changes on the backup.
- Direct connection to laptop dock so the partitions on the drives in the NAS show up on the laptop.
- Smart power off when the computer is sleeping or disconnected and powered on otherwise. (Maybe also considering if there are more files to be backed up between the two drives in the NAS and powering down after. Also possible to manually pause?)

Are these four things possible with that setup? Will this be a safe and good way to set up a combined extended and backup storage? Is it absolutely necessary to have an extra NAS when running combined extended and backup storage, or will this be fine?

Automated off-site backup would be interesting in the future, but I can't afford that currently. I will probably use my current Western Digital 4 TB powered external drive for that.

USAFRet

Titan
1. Kudos for being proactive on the backup front!

2. My current (windows based) backup routine is thus:
Each PC backs up to the (TS-453A, 4x4TB RAID 5, 12TB) Qnap NAS box every night. Full or incremental, fully automated. Each drive gets its own target folder.

3. The NAS backs up its entirety to a USB connected drive once a week, via its built in software.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3383768/backup-situation-home.html

Solution