Question Best single slot card for well under $1K ?

Nov 20, 2023
I had to sacrifice my existing two-slot video card because I need that particular x16 slot for an NVMe module that wouldn't work in my other x16 slot. And it was pretty old anyway. So I need a single-slot card.

This is a 10th gen i9 system with 32GB of RAM, a 650W supply, and a single 4K screen (although I might get a second one). I do occasional video editing with DaVinci Resolve, and I spend a lot of time in Google Earth with 3D buildings enabled. However, I'm not a gamer, and I also am unlikely to use the card for crypto or AI stuff. And I'd prefer something that isn't too noisy when it is working hard.

Several reviews tout the RTX A4000 from PNY as the best single-width card, but that's overkill. So what's second-best? Or third-best? It's hard to suss this out because sites like Newegg miss some cards when you filter in single-width cards.

As far as gaming cards go, single-slot you're limited to a GT 1030 2GB, which you can even get passively cooled so it'll be quiet. But reading around it barely scrapes into being able to run Resolve, and it has no hardware encoding. So it sounds like it'll run, but it'll be a bit of a dog.

That leaves you with workstation cards. You could get a W6600 or T1000 8 GB for about half the price of the A1000. You could get a W6400 or T1000 4 GB for half as much again.

You probably need to be more precise about your budget. Does "well under $1000" mean $750? $500? Less?

Nov 20, 2023
The card I just retired had 1408 CUDA cores, while the T1000 has 896. That's a pretty big step down. These are black box mysteries to me, but I assume those cores perform much of the functionality needed by DaVinci Resolve and Google Earth.

However, I found an A1000 for $900, so decided to buy that. It's overkill right now, but it will probably last me for a long time, and it's at the high end of my budget.

Thanks for your advice, though.

Reactions: Moonstick2