Best solution for no inbuilt wifi card that isn't an ethernet cable.

Oct 13, 2018
My desktop does not have inbuilt wifi and I have tried around 3 different USB wifi adaptors but every time I have used them I get large (1000+ ms) latency spikes so my question is what is the best way to connect to the internet with stable latency? I can't really do an ethernet cable as it would have to go through the house but not sure if there are any other options. Or if there are any fixes to the USB wifi adaptor, maybe it's because I have only used the cheap ones? Any recommendations for affordable ones? Thank you in advance.

Try a pair of powerline adapters that you plug directly in to mains socket.

This is the pair I got for Smart TV (downstairs) with router upstairs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA4020PKIT-Passthrough-Powerline-Configuration-Required/dp/B01M16AZTI/ref=sr_1_5/259-9401088-6188631?ie=UTF8&qid=1539425046&sr=8-5&keywords=powerline+adapter

Works like a charm, easy-peasy to set up, and very stable connection. It's always best to avoid using WiFi where possible on a fixed desktop PC, powerline adapters make that possible when router & PC are in different rooms.

Oct 13, 2018

Super cool actually had no idea this existed, seems pretty perfect for what I want but a bit more than I can afford sadly. I tried looking around a bit but couldn't find any that were cheaper. Any recommendations for more affordable ones? And I assume if I bought one overseas it would work fine with a power plug adaptor? Thanks for your answer.

Don't get too excited just yet. Powerline solution rely on the quality of your electrical system and if you are overseas..... and more than 1 person here would recommend you buy from somewhere you can return easy if unhappy and if you are buying this overseas with no chance of returning....

Bottom line, nothing beats ethernet for performance and reliability.

What does your smartphone WIFI ping tells you? if ur happy with that, u may just need a better, not China-cheap PCIe-based WIFI adapter.