[SOLVED] Best sound card for gaming with headphones?

User Name Noob

Reputable
May 1, 2019
I've been experiencing a "clipping" anomaly with my computer's audio...the audio cuts out randomly and sporadically and all I hear is a popping sound. Along with this clipping my cursor will stutter and lag while I'm moving it. It started about a week ago when I downloaded a game from Steam; when it began it would happen every 15-20 seconds...now it's almost constant. I ordered a new set of headphones (the old ones are pretty beat up) but would like to know what card I should get...hopefully that will solve my problem.

Solution
Are those bluetooth? If so, then the audio isn't going through your PCs soundcard; the audio is being transferred digitally over Bluetooth and the DAC inside the headphones are processing the audio signal.

If you are having audio problems, it's probably either your motherboards bluetooth driver, or possible the processing being done inside the headphones.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I've been experiencing a "clipping" anomaly with my computer's audio...the audio cuts out randomly and sporadically and all I hear is a popping sound. Along with this clipping my cursor will stutter and lag while I'm moving it. It started about a week ago when I downloaded a game from Steam; when it began it would happen every 15-20 seconds...now it's almost constant. I ordered a new set of headphones (the old ones are pretty beat up) but would like to know what card I should get...hopefully that will solve my problem.

Hi @User Name Noob

Please list out your current systems hardware as that'll help narrow down which sound card(s) will work.

That clipping sound sounds (no pun intended) like a possible grounding issue. Possibly a driver issue &/or hardware issue as well, though it's hard to narrow it down exactly without more info. Have you don'e any recent repairs or upgrades? When was the last time you took the system apart, cleaned everything, put it back together and reinstalled your OS/drivers? It would be a shame if you ordered a sound card, and then had the same issue.

Also whats your realistic max budget? Add-in sound cards go from $20 on up to $$$.

A little more info please.

User Name Noob

Reputable
May 1, 2019
Hi @User Name Noob

Please list out your current systems hardware as that'll help narrow down which sound card(s) will work.

That clipping sound sounds (no pun intended) like a possible grounding issue. Possibly a driver issue &/or hardware issue as well, though it's hard to narrow it down exactly without more info. Have you don'e any recent repairs or upgrades? When was the last time you took the system apart, cleaned everything, put it back together and reinstalled your OS/drivers? It would be a shame if you ordered a sound card, and then had the same issue.

Also whats your realistic max budget? Add-in sound cards go from $20 on up to $$$.

A little more info please.

My system specs are...

CPU: Intel i7 6700k @4 GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
MoBo: ASRock Z170 Extreme6
RAM: 32 GB G Skill @ 1600 Mhz (16-18-18-38)
SSD: 500 GB Micron_M600 and a 2 TB Samsung 860 EVO
Audio: just received the Sony WH-1000XM3 wireless headphones - Realtek High Def Audio
Monitor: Alienware 34" 3440x1440

Aside from the headphones, the only resent upgrade I made was the 2 tb Samsung SSD. I did upgrade the video card several months ago. All my drivers are up to date.

As for my sound card budget, it's pretty much open...just consider, though, that I'm only using headphones.

Last edited:
Are those bluetooth? If so, then the audio isn't going through your PCs soundcard; the audio is being transferred digitally over Bluetooth and the DAC inside the headphones are processing the audio signal.

If you are having audio problems, it's probably either your motherboards bluetooth driver, or possible the processing being done inside the headphones.

Solution

User Name Noob

Reputable
May 1, 2019

Yes, they are bluetooth, but they are not working atm because, apparently, I don't have bluetooth on my computer...I will have to get a bluetooth adapter (which should have been included with this $300 pair of headphones!) in order to get these things to work. So, it'll be another week, or so, before I know if the "clipping" problem is still affecting my computer.

Feb 6, 2020
Could you please specify your headphone model you are using with your pc. You must try some gaming headphones which will get you better performance. I am read out some gaming mouse review over this site. You can check out yourself and decide about. I hope it helps.