Best SSDs (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2017
Where are the budget SSD's? I'd love to see some 250GB recommendations, as soo many people need to swap out an old junky hard drive with an SSD to get their computers running faster...

I've been loyal to the Samsung 850 Evos, but now I'm seeing a whole new range of cheap $50 250GB SSD's...

Iavan_

Prominent
Jun 24, 2017
goo.gl/oTxCPM Excellent ssd from kingston I use it, noiseless, fast, reliable. Delivery is fast, great seller. I advise everyone. You can choose any size of memory, under your budget.

bull2760

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
Plextor has been missing software since its debut. When the drive was first released I purchased it, going on almost a full year with it and they still have no software to monitor this drive. The performance of this drive vs the Samsung EVO class is a joke. Being an owner of both drives I can tell you without a doubt the EVO is the better drive. I don't care about the MLC vs TLC endurance I'll never use up all the writes on either drive. For plextor to produce a drive and not have software is a massive failure on there part.

willie nugs

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
The Best SSD list on this website sucks. It's not complete not is it representative of the available options in the market. I follow this list weekly, and it hasn't been a very good source of info for at least a year now. I wish this website would step it up. SSD's are so important to a computer, I don't understand why tomshardware had such a pathetic "best ssd" section on their website.

willie nugs

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
The best performing SSD's are Samsung. Period. Now, that answer changes when the question is about the best value. That can sometimes be the SK Hynix SL308, but that won't be true if it costs the same, or very close to, the price of the Samsung 850 EVO.

This is true for consumer SSDs and not necessarily true for Enterprise level SSDs.

TJohn

Reputable
Mar 6, 2015
Been using the SK hynix 256G since initially recommended here. C drive on my desktop. Has been flawless and fast. I always double-check with Newegg as the will beat amazon on some deals.

tommatthews1951

Commendable
Apr 18, 2016
I agree with the comment by Willie Nugs. The information is woefully incomplete. Virtually every SATA-based SSD is compared against the Samsung EVO and yet, other than the high capacity models, it is not even listed. I know the difficulty in keep all of this information up to date, but the top rated SSD for the last 18 months, should be mentioned especially since you reference Samsung SSDs within the review of the others.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
I think review sites like Toms/Anandtech forget we dont update our kit like they get sent review samples every day. They forget we as consumers need to see how the new stuff compares to kit from 12-18 months ago not just what came out a month before.

andymur

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
Did you know that, to my knowledge, only line of Samsung pro 850 and SanDisk Extreme PRO 960GB/480GB offer included 10 year warranty, which even surpases sas ssd-s.

bull2760

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
You need to update this list. The Plextor drive has been out for nearly 2 years not and still has no software to monitor the drive. Not to mention their stupid ass firmware boot message that pops up every time your computer starts up. Reminds me of RAID card booting, so annoying! Plextor is a mere shadow of what it once was.

bestraughn

Prominent
Aug 31, 2017
Does anyone see the price of SSD's going down anytime soon? I think $130-$170 for a 256GB drive is a bit ridiculous. I know an SSD as a boot drive is a life changing PC experience and all but I think the prices are quite exorbitant when you compare it to a 4TB storage drive can be had for $120-$140.

Kevin-M

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
It will be really cool when the new wears off and the price of these comes down to something realistic and not some fabricated price point that cant be justified!

crazydzjj

Prominent
Oct 21, 2017
Where is the read/write comparison? As for the pricing SSD Drives hardware cost are higher in general price drop isn't likely any time soon. Plus the fact they keep improving the speeds and keeping the price up, drop the old model.

Status
Not open for further replies.