Best SSDs For The Money: August 2012 (Archive)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cryan

Honorable
I'm starting to feel like this "Best" is unclear. Before there was a buy this..now there are just lists of SSDs. I mean. I want to buy a 256GB SSD. Yet there are 4 choices and prices are from $135-160. Why can't there just be one choice like before, and maybe a runner up?

If there was just one SSD that would work for everybody, this monthly adventure in consumer storage wouldn't be very lively. But fortunately, there are various needs that cannot be addressed by one model. These are simply a few of the disks I've spent at least a couple hundred hours with, and feel confident that in here, somewhere is the drive for you -- the prospective buyer.

If something isn't in here, it's for one of several reasons. Either the manufacturer wouldn't send it to me (it happens), I haven't spent enough time with it yet (very common), or it doesn't belong in this hallowed list. Not every SSD gets a gold star, yo.

Regards,
Christopher Ryan

cryan

Honorable
logainofhades writes:
> The Crucial MX100, 256gb is an attractive option at $110, imo.

The only argument against it might be that the XM100 is new, ie. immature firmware. Many people prefer
to wait so that any bugs can be discovered and ironed out with updates before commiting to a new model.
OCZ damaged its rep years ago by releasing certain models too early in this process, so now there are
some who will eagerly comment on forums that they'll never use OCZ again, irony being that such models
are today very reliable because all the updates have been sorted out. One can only hope that Crucial has
put in a decent amount of time to ensure there are no unexpected nasties with the MX100's firmware.
Mind you, I've been winning used 840s and other equivalent models for less than the cost of an MX100,
so I'm not bothered, eg. in May I won an 840 Pro 256GB for 80 UKP, more recently a Vector 512GB for 167.

TripleXbeatz writes:
> ... But Samsung takes the prize for best overall user experience when it comes to the drives just
> working, not having a ridiculously high DOA rate(like OCZ has been known for in the past) and
> sheer ingenuity with their controllers and software.

The only thing which annoys me about Samsung Magician is not being able to do a secure erase
from within the program. Having to boot from a CDR or USB stick, etc., is irritating (and I found on
some systems the display didn't initialise correctly, so I had to use Parted Magic instead). In that
regard I prefer OCZ's Toolbox.

Ian.

TripleXbeatz writes:
> ... But Samsung takes the prize for best overall user experience when it comes to the drives just
> working, not having a ridiculously high DOA rate(like OCZ has been known for in the past) and
> sheer ingenuity with their controllers and software.

The only thing which annoys me about Samsung Magician is not being able to do a secure erase
from within the program. Having to boot from a CDR or USB stick, etc., is irritating (and I found on
some systems the display didn't initialise correctly, so I had to use Parted Magic instead). In that
regard I prefer OCZ's Toolbox.

Ian.

First, let me say that not being able to SE in Win 8+ is ANNOYING. I'm assuming this is what you mean when you say magician won't let you SE without booting from another environ. This is not the case in earlier versions. I can SE anything in W8, but I'm what you'd call a ninja, and I have my secret ways.

Now, moving on to the MX100... I haven't reviewed it yet. It's forthcoming. But let me say, I'm less concerned about the FW on the Micron platform. The MX100, M550, Adata SP920, and their mSATA/M.2 counterparts all all using the same FW family. No, I'd be more concerned about the 16 nm flash.

Micron is fairly conservative, so you won't see them shoehorn new products on new NAND out the door before their fully baked, but there were problems with their 20 nm 128 Gb-die flash. That's why the M500 ships in 240 GB and not 256 GB like the new ones -- 16 GB of that flash is used for parity in the event the early 20 nm L85A went south. The MX100 and M550 have far less room for error, but that also makes me think Micron and Intel's fabs are churning out decent flash at high yields, even on the new 16nm process.

Christopher Ryan

cryan

Honorable
Can't wait for Sandforce 3xxx controllers for SATA SSDs come out. What the 4K Q1 performance will be like.

4 KB QD1 reads are basically a function of the flash. Swap different flash in, get different numbers. Newer Toggle I/F flash has more mojo here. 4 KB QD1 WRITES are different, since most people run with volatile write caching enabled. Try turning it off to see the REAL QD1 4KB write performance of a drive sans write cache. I dare you.

Christopher Ryan

JustWords

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
The 240gb OCZ Vertex 460 SSD Didn't make the June 2014 list, it's comparable to the OCZ 450 Vertex,
but at a price of $99.99 with a Rebate at Newegg.com
sure feels like a winner to me….. "Real Talk" - That's a "Gonga". Look it up.
it uses Toshiba 19nm Toggle MLC flash
M10 version of the Indilinx Barefoot 3 controller.
Rated at 20gb writes/day.
3 year Warranty.
On top of the Apricon Solo X2 PCI-e Card
Blackmagic Benchmark indicates 495.8 MB/s Writes and 477.1 MB/s Reads on
a "Jurassic" Early 2008 MacPro 2.8 Ghz Quad(8)Core.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

Actually no, I meant with Win7 (Pro/64).

Btw, you've quoted my post twice. ;)

Ian.

cryan

Honorable

When I get going, it's like a shaken soda can. You just don't know where its going to get sprayed.

But I believe most new SSD Toolbox versions are actually ditching SE all together, or force preboot, because of Win 8. Plextor's newer utility won't SE at all UNLESS you're using the drive in a USB enclosure! That's a miscarriage of justice, but a harbinger of things to come. The good news is, most people can get by with a force TRIM and thus can save enhanced secure erasure for those special occasions in life.

Regards,
Christopher Ryan

mapesdhs

Distinguished
cryan writes:
> When I get going, it's like a shaken soda can. You just don't know where its going to get sprayed.

:D

Rightyho, off to the Edit button... ;)

> But I believe most new SSD Toolbox versions are actually ditching SE all together, ...

Argh!! Why is it things always just seem to get worse in the tech world in various ways??

> get by with a force TRIM ...

Alas in the past I've found that doing a TRIM with OCZ drives often doesn't make much difference,
or at least not to read speeds anyway.

Parted Magic is ok I suppose, but on several occasions I found the X environment unable to init,
no idea why. Had to boot via the alternative instead which is usually low-res.

Ian.

RyanEvans

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013

Yeah, me too. waiting for the sf 3xxx ssds to come out.

kamhagh

Honorable
im wondering how much real world difference does the crucial m500 and a ssd ... like 840 pro or evo have ? crucial m500 250gb is only 100$ but can't be found here, anyway im just wondering ... :? my wow loads in half of hdd time (hdd : 6.43 to login screen, 12.39 entering world / ssd: 3.20 to login , 5.10 entering world , no more lags when selecting my other chars :)) and my boot time is now 28~ second compared to around 58 seconds or something ! (bootracer) but still i have an intel 520 120gb , i like to see how much difference in seconds i get with a Samsung pro ! in boot and ect, ppl mostly do socre or mb/s benchmarks, i almsot haven't seen a good loading time in seconds benchmark !

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Having any kind of SSD at all will make the biggest difference. Beyond that, well,
it depends on the task. Models vary as to their read vs. write, sequential/random,
compressed/uncompressed, etc. strengths & weaknesses. Top end models like
the 840 Pro will have stronger IOPS performance, longer life, more reliable, etc.
The M500 is ok I guess, but reading about it I just felt its write performance is a
bit low compared to other models, including various products placed below the
840 Pro (for some users though this probably wouldn't matter or even be that
noticeable). The picture is made more complex due to performance also being a
function of capacity. For some models, capacities below 256GB show a marked
performance decrease in certain areas, though whether this matters depends
on what you're doing.

Then there's the issue of long term consistency. Some SSDs start off performing
well, but their steady-state (long term usage) behaviour isn't so good.

For me, this is why I like the Samsung 840. Its performance is good across a
general range of tasks, it's cheaper than the 840 Pro and it has excellent
steady-state behaviour. The EVO has replaced the 840 of course, but carries
on in the same vein. Meanwhile though, I still like obtaining other models
when I can, eg. the OCZ Vertex4/Vector.

I did run some 'real-world' game loading tests a while ago (sort of - it was the
Stalker COP benchmark demo), though it was testing SSDs with a SATA2 port.
Still, it showed what I more or less expected - any SSD was a great improvement
over a mechanical drive, but between SSDs the differences were minimal. Keep
meaning to run the tests with an Intel SATA3 setup but haven't had the time yet.
For what it's worth though, here's the data:

http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/misc/ssd_tests.txt

Ian.

kamhagh

Honorable

:O thanks :) i got an ssd and i love it !! altought its an slow old 520 (newly bought :) ) but still it halfed almost all my loading times
im reading it:) i saw somewhere that msot ssd make max 1.5 second diffrence on boot and loadings on a same computer !

edit: same on here not much difference but still a difference :)thanks 1-2 seconds for around 29$ is worth it i think:) it will last almost an lifetime :)

maxinexus

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
Why would you recommend mx550 if mx100 is direct successor and it is almost $100 cheaper. Why? Because it has been polished by age? That does not variant hefty price jump over mx100...maybe they should have call it mx600 and then you would recommend it. You should look at best VGA of a month.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
maxinexus,

The MX100 is not a direct successor. Read the reviews. The M550 (I assume you mean) replaces the M500,
though the intention is that both will be available for the time being. The M550 is a faster M500 at a slightly
higher price, ie. consumers have a choice.

The MX100 is a new, more entry-level product; its design means write performance is significantly lower than the
M550 at lesser capacities. Also, the M550 is available as a 1TB option, whereas the top MX100 is 512GB.

If anything, the MX100 is more like the older M500 in its behaviour, except it uses newer 16nm flash and has
slightly better IOPS & slightly slower sequential speeds at the 128GB level.

The article's point about reliability is valid. Jumping on a new SSD can be a hazardous choice as it's hard to know
how well a manufacturer has ironed out any firmware bugs. An SSD that's been available for some time and gone
through any early necessary updates will be more trusted.

No idea what your comment about 'best VGA' means...

Ian.

meat_loaf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
@mapesdhs

You prefer OCZ? That company has an extremely bad rep and is bankrupt for making bad quality products.

On the other hand there are top 3 brands that are popular for SSDs on the market.
1. Samsung ---> makes the best memory chips in the industry
2. Intel?? ---> Intel has it failures in the early stage
3. Kingston ----> Good brand since its RAM sticks are very well regarded

mapesdhs

Distinguished
meat_loaf writes:
> You prefer OCZ? That company has an extremely bad rep and is bankrupt for making bad quality products.

Blah blah, the usual nonsense based on early fw issues of old products. Makes me laugh people
keep trotting out this stuff. Talk about beating a dead horse. They fixed the issues, and the later models
like the Vertex4 and Vector were massively better. Ever occured to you that maybe one reason they went
bust and got bought out was that continued unwarranted PR put people off buying their later, very good
products? ie. people complaining about them way past when it was relevant just made it worse. Plus, all
other companies including Intel and Samsung have had their own SSD screwups (oh how quickly so many
here choose to forget the bricked '8MB' Intel fiasco). OCZ's mistake was releasing some models far too
early with too many problems, but they stopped doing that after the early Vertex series.

I have more than 30 OCZ SSDs (Vertex2E/3/4, and Vector/Vector150). Only the 2/2E/3 and other older
models were affected by the early fw problems, and once the fw is updated they are absolutely fine, I've
not had problems with any of them. I do however avoid the low-brow products like the Solid. I also have
various Samsung models (830/840/Pro), Crucial, Corsair, Sandisk, etc. Maybe 40 or 50 total, lost count.
In the numerous system builds I've done for other people, I've used Samsung 830/840/Pro for C-drives
and either Samsung or OCZ Vector/Vertex4 for high-IOPS data drives. Univ. of Utah is running one of
them right now, filled with three 840 Pros (128B, 256GB and 512GB), so take back your comment saying
I 'prefer' OCZ because that's inaccurate; I use OCZ because they work fine, just like the other models
I use, but I tailor the task to suit. For my own systems, I have lots of V2E/3s as C-drives on benchmarking
systems (at least two dozen) along with some other models (many of the V3S are MAX IOPS units), while
my own systems have a Vector 256GB with a 5GHz 2700K/M4E, Samsung 840 250GB with a 3930K rig,
840 Pro 256GB in another 3930K, several Vertex2Es in my SGI Fuel (OCZ fw is one of the very best for
use in systems that do not support TRIM), V3 in my firewall/gateway, and a RAID with eight 120GB V3 MXIs.

> On the other hand there are top 3 brands that are popular for SSDs on the market.

And if you'd bothered reading my other posts you'd notice I consistently recommend the
Samsung 840/EVO/Pro as a system drive, but point out that models like the Vertex4
and Vector are just as good as well, along with the GTX and various others. I like the
Samsungs because they have excellent long term consistency, but the Vector is just
as fast if not quicker, and the Vertex4 is very good too. I fitted a 512GB Vertex4 in a
3930K build as a cache drive for AE, it gets absolutely slammed every day, running A-ok
for almost a year now.

Top brands... talk about filtered history. People have forgotten now that the 840 was
slower than the 830 in some ways when it came out. Reliable? Yes. Fast? Sure, but
I'd be just as happy with a Vector or Vertex4, which is why I use all of these models.

And btw, at least one can s.e. a drive with OCZ's Toolbox, can't freakin' do that with
Samsung Magician most of the time.

> 3. Kingston ----> Good brand since its RAM sticks are very well regarded

The only Kingston RAM kit I ever had (4GB DDR3/2K) was absolute rubbish. I will never use
Kingston again. I don't think Kingston's RAM is well regarded at all. GSkill or Mushkin on the
other hand, definitely. Hence why my 3930K has 64GB GSkill running perfectly @ 2133. There,
how's that for selecting narrow experience and generalising? Same thing you did with OCZ. :)

Ian.

maxinexus

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007

512 version of MX100 write performance is same as MX550. Yes MX550 offers 1TB version but you can raid MX100 and that gives you even better performance plus $200 more in your pocket.
My issue is that this is "The best SSD for the money" and the recommendation is way off on that one, in my opinion ;)

G Dalton

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
mapesdhs re Magician. Your PC tech is awry No software lets U erase the disk you booted too "AKA on" as long as you can boot to another disk then you can erase the other disk WITH MAGICIAN (at least up to a year ago version) from that. OTHERWISE ALL partition software must have boot software if the PC has only one drive + that drive is to be erased!!!! Parted Magic will not let you erase the disk it is installed on - it will delete the software that is doing the deleting for a start - it will have its own boot media to do such a function!!!?????