Best thermal paste for lowest temps

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

Just curious what's the best thermal paste that yields the lowest temps out there?Heard some good reviews about AS5 but not sure if newer thermal pastes are out on the market.

Is the Gelid extreme good?

Thanks in advance.

G

hey all, good article.
when i was building desktops for my flight simulator x i used to get the kick ass heat sink fans etc. one thing that i always noticed was the base that mated to the processor heat spreader was always very poorly finished. what i did was sand them smooth as silk on a piece of glass and different sheets of very fine grit sandpaper. it made a tremendous difference in fit and heat transfer from the fact more surface contact. also good old arctic silver 5 which was not mentioned in the article.
i never hear or read where people do this anymore and i know that the heat sinks and fans are made as bad if not worse than before. lots of imperfections on most that i have looked at lately.

just was curious.
the poorguy

scuzzycard

Honorable
The best I've ever used is the stuff Phanteks ships with their coolers. Seriously! I've been using Phobya Hegrease because I read good reviews on it, but I misplaced it and had to use the Phanteks this time. To my surprise, temps are down 5C with no other changes! I probably just used a thinner layer this time, but it goes to show - having the best paste is not a big deal, but applying it very sparingly is the key!