Best Thermal Paste?

Solution

Zero Cool

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2013

I've always had the best results with Arctic Silver 5 It uses pure silver but the the suspension that it's in makes it 100% non conductive so you don't have to worry if you accidentally get some on your motherboard or elsewhere. Some people might argue another brand, but I've used it on every CPU and GPU I've had for the past 10 or so years and It has always worked great! Another bonus is that is can be found at Radio Shack if you don't want to buy it online! Hope this helps!

StephenP85

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013

You're going to get a different response from everyone. Read the sticky that was linked, or visit other sites that have done similar tests, and pick one from the top 10, 15, or even 20. The difference is marginal (if applied correctly).

Setting Sun

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013

I think I'm going to go with the Arctic Silver 5. What is the proper way to apply it? I know this is an arguable question but what is the way that you have had good experience with.

I see alot of people these days doing the spread method lately. It seems the whole "less is more" motto that Linus reinforced in alot of people is starting to fade away and you see people spreading compound.

Zero Cool

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2013

I currently use the "X Shape" method for both my CPUs and GPUs. It seems to always spread perfectly without the occasional missed spots I would get with the pea sized globs. It really comes down to personal preference I think, but that's what works for me! Here is a cool article with 12 different techniques along with their individual results:

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Thermal-Paste-Application-Techniques-170/

Hope this helps!

Solution