Question Best use case for all switches listed?

mxnty

Prominent
Mar 4, 2021
Please keep it to 1 thread
What switch do you recommend? Cherry MX Blue (Clicky), Red (Linear) , or Brown (Tactile) . GX Blue (Clicky). Razer Linear Optical Red switches.
What is the best switch for gaming and work? I would like the best gaming performance but also genuinely good work ability.
Basically, Should I go with the Steelseries Apex Pro 7 TKL (if so, which switch?), Logitech G Pro, or Razer Huntsman TE?

That entirely depends on you.
People have very different oppinions on switches.
Some like the clickiness (if thats even a word lol) of Blue switches, and some love silent browns.
I personally dont mind blue switches, infact i love the sound of them xD

mxnty

Prominent
Mar 4, 2021
I currently have a Cherry MX Blue Ripoff Switch (idk what switch but it’s not Cherry MX) and I’ve been liking it but some of the other features of my kb have started to die so I’m upgrading. I’ve heard great things about Cherry MX Red so I might go with that for the Apex 7 but i guess this is now a post of which keyboard to get.

Reactions: Dj0gany

Adam0ne

Proper
Feb 9, 2021
Most gamers go for linear switches. But to have best of both worlds (work and play), you have the Cherry red and the brown. More of them lean toward the brown. The brown has more tactile feedback. You may want a tactile feel for typing. I dont do gaming, so I use the cherry blue. It's all about how you are going to use it. FYI -Gamers like speed; fast, less tactile switch and low travel/stroke - Cherry silver.

mxnty

Prominent
Mar 4, 2021
Thank you for replying. At this moment, the battle is between the G Pro X and Huntsman TE from Logitech and Razer. I removed the Apex 7 because there didn't seem to be a huge point getting that instead of the Apex Pro for the Omnipoint switches which are way above my budget. The only pros on the A7 that I saw were the display, Cherry MX, and the build quality. Display, a bonus, but am I really going to buy this for that? Cherry MX, love these switches, I have very similar ones in a KB from HAVIT, they're blue but I think I can drop them. For switches, I have the opto-mechanical linear (razer red) and the gx linear or clicky to choose from. In terms of software, I use a Deathadder Elite and Kraken Ultimate so still using Synapse would be a huge convenience. If it's better, I don't mind using Synapse and GHUB, I don't really use synapse for my headset and I don't plan to adjust the profiles of my mouse any time soon. I would just have to get used to it. I like the idea of hot-swappable switches, because that way, I can have clicky and linear switches so it's a win-win. I've heard great things about the Huntsman TE and its switches (razer red) being incredibly fast. I am okay with the Apex 7 too if it's a better keyboard. For explanation, the switches I would use would be- Huntsman - preconfigured, G Pro - GX Linear and purchase Clicky later, Apex 7 - Cherry MX Blue, I wouldn't like linear with a kb like that.
What's the best keyboard between these? I plan to do gaming and my current Blue switches are great.
Huntsman TE - Pros of switches - 1.0 mm actuation, high quality built switches.
G Pro X - love the switches already, hot-swappable which is a HUGE bonus considering that I like to make one purchase and use it for its lifespan making some upgrades like with the switches.
If you had to pick one, which would it be? why and for what style?

mxnty

Prominent
Mar 4, 2021
I would like to buy a kb between these and don't know which to choose. Both are TKL, lighted, and would have linear switches. I know that the G Pro X has swappable switches, does that mean that the kb technically has an "infinite" life due to simply replacing the switches? Personally, I use Razer Products for all other peripherals but I can use GHUB if necessary. I plan to use it for as long as possible, preferably, 5-6 years at least. I will use it for games like Fortnite and Overwatch and general work as well as typing. I would like the best possible build quality. As stated above, I will use the linear red switches for each (GX Red and Razer Red).

Lutfij

Titan
The real question is how far do you want to go into the mechanical rabbit hole? Since I would advise on you breaking down how much you'll be using the keyboard with respect to your tasks in a percentage, i.e, typing 60% of your entire time? If so, then the reds aren't a good switch for typists. In fact browns are a good switch, if you're looking at the Cherry variants or the one's from Logitech. There are a tonne of other switches out there, especially since the patent is no longer held by Cherry.

If you have other Razer gear and they didn't fail in spectacular fashion(like it has for me) then you can go for the Razer Huntsman TE keep the software to a minimum, IMHO.

Hotswap keys are nice, but you may want to check to make sure the Logitech keyboard can use any MX style key and not just Logitech's GX keys.

You won't be swapping the switches that often, really just to be able to test out various ones, not use one in the morning then swap out the keyboard for another set in the evening.

I used an Optical Red switch from Gateron and those were very nice, for a linear key Optical Red are nice, along with Yellow, which is my favorite now.

mxnty

Prominent
Mar 4, 2021
In percentage, I'd say 60% gaming and 30% typing. I'm leaning towards the Huntsman for many reasons, but to the G Pro X for one reason: the swappable switches. I would not want to purchase a new kb because my switches go bad. If my budget increases, I would change up KBS but for now, I feel like Huntsman might be the best. Are there any noticeable differences between gen 1 and gen 2 of their linear optical switches? If it's a huge improvement, I'll have to rethink because I don't exactly like 60% KBS.

mxnty

Prominent
Mar 4, 2021
Noted. My only concern was that whenever my switches went bad, I could just swap them instead of buying a whole new keyboard. It seems that in every other way, the Huntsman is better.

Before continuing.. I have Razer Blackwidow Lite (TKL, orange switches), which I bough because of two reasons: excellent white backlit switch caps and because I like switch feedback.

I pay $100+ for keyboard and need to think about swapable switches? Isn't that kinda silly? I mean, I was worried about these things when I had $12 keyboard -btw. that 10+ years old keyboard still works.
Just sharing my thoughts