Best Verizon Fios Gateway G1100 replacement

Tacticall993

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2013
I'm not a big fan of this modem, it disconnects frequently and I really don't trust things that this company provides me. I went ahead and changed my plan to the gigabit service and I definitely need a new modem. My house was built in 2015 so we still use moCA and wiring an ethernet cable through the walls from the ont box is virtually impossible. What are my best options here? Just looking for something that wont bottleneck my service. Thanks in advance!

Solution

With Verizon, there are two ways to go from the ONT.

The default install is coax. This goes to a coax splitter, and to the G1100 and a STB.
The other type of install is ethernet direct from the ONT to a router of your choice. This, of course, requires significat Cat5e wiring.

But he's sort of incorrect. You can still use MOCA and the existing coax, after the router. You don't have to run actual Cat5e everywhere.
But unless the actual issue is...

Tacticall993

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2013

So here's the problem. At least once a day (usually in the morning) the globe icon turns red and internet becomes unavailable. I'd have to unplug the ONT in the basement to do a hard reset. And yes sadly it's wired via coax.

USAFRet

Titan

That sounds like an ONT problem instead of the router.
What does Verizon say?

Tacticall993

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2013

Sorry I was just waiting to respond until the Verizon Technician came in. He told me the only way to use a router since I'm just doing the internet package is to run cat6 cables through the walls, and this will be a very difficult and super expensive task. Should I just go with that?

USAFRet

Titan

With Verizon, there are two ways to go from the ONT.

The default install is coax. This goes to a coax splitter, and to the G1100 and a STB.
The other type of install is ethernet direct from the ONT to a router of your choice. This, of course, requires significat Cat5e wiring.

But he's sort of incorrect. You can still use MOCA and the existing coax, after the router. You don't have to run actual Cat5e everywhere.
But unless the actual issue is after your existing G1100....that guy should have discovered and fixed the problem.

Generally, everything up to and including the router is their issue.
ONT->coax->G1100....they must make that actually work. What happens after the router is all on you.

But frequent disconnects at the router is all on them.

Solution

Tacticall993

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2013

I just ordered a new g1100 and we'll see how that works out. Thanks for all the help from everyone!