[SOLVED] Best VM software for security and privacy and keeping separated the VM from the host PC completely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
Please keep it to 1 thread.
Hello everybody, as some may know i love testing regular software, open source software, security/malware software and surfing through this type of sites on my test PC. I also do a lot of networking stuff on it. Well, now i have a friend in need of a PC for work. I barely use it, so i was thinking he will probably needs it a lot more than i do. I have my office PC that is a powerhouse and since i am an independent service provider, i spend most of my time at the office. Is my personal/work/entertainment PC so i have all my personal/family files/pictures. Y also have sensitive client information and of course i browse my personal bank/money accounts there. I thought why buy another PC just to test new things? So I was thinking getting a VM software, Open source preferably and host my test test PC on my office PC in a VM.

1) First, i did my research and came to a conclusion i should use VMWare or QEmu? Or is there a better option for security and privacy reasons?

2) About VPNs and using internet. I was planning to copy the HDD into the VM, installing a VPN on the VM and using my regular connection in the host PC. Will the VPN will affect the host PC connection. I want to keep my direct connection completely separated from my filtered VPN connection in the VM.

3) I am missing something, is completely safe to do this on my main computer? Is secure private? I really want to keep the host completely separated form the VM.

4) Can i block completely the access to my cam and microphone from my VM.

Thanks!

Solution
i've never tried a vpn from inside a vm. i've used a vm as the endpoint of a vpn but never as the client. so not really sure there.

the only thing special i do with my vm's is to keep it's storage separate from the host machine. i don't share any folders or anything like that so the only storage the vm can "see" is the virtual disk created with it. if you have read and write privileges to important storage on your host through sharing, then it is vulnerable to whatever you are unleashing on the vm. i have a small amount of data i can copy in if needed to see what happens to it, but it stays on the virtual hdd inside the vm and not from my main storage.

other than that i've never done anything special to "protect" the host system.
D

Deleted member 14196

Of course you can you can remove the hardware from the virtual machine, but I’m not sure those are supported in a virtual machine. In fact, I’m pretty sure they are not. As far as security for virtual machine, software tech one I prefer VMware.

anything you can do in an operating system can be done within the virtual operating system as well so if there’s things you want to disable in the VM go ahead, you can certainly disable the Internet access

Reactions: preguntonontrack

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
Of course you can you can remove the hardware from the virtual machine, but I’m not sure those are supported in a virtual machine. In fact, I’m pretty sure they are not. As far as security for virtual machine, software tech one I prefer VMware.

anything you can do in an operating system can be done within the virtual operating system as well so if there’s things you want to disable in the VM go ahead, you can certainly disable the Internet access
This covers the basic concepts but i want to know how this actually works. Why VMware over other options?

Also i really want to know if no matter what i do inside the VM can it leak into the host? Security, privacy?

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
Hello, ive been researching VM software to host on my main computer. After researching a little bit i came across QEmu and the paid version, VMWare. It will be used to test new software and networking. Since it will be on my main computer i am looking for the best open source VM software in performance, security, privacy and that doesnt leak malicious software tot he host PC. Looking for new suggestions and why? or you like QEmu over all?

Reactions: Neo-ConTrai

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i use virtualbox for my vm needs. it's free, easy to use and as safe as it gets with vm's.

but then so is vmware. vmware is the paid preferred program for professional commercial uses. it has a lot of great features and worth it if you wish to pay for it.

otherwise, the free virtualbox is good enough.

i use it for testing software, investigating virus/malware tendencies, virtual networking and many many other things. does all i need and it's free :)

each is different and you will need to learn how to work with whatever you chose. if you have desire to work in the IT world, then vmware is worth learning as is Docker. they are used more than anything for virtualization.

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
I use VirtualBox as well.

i use virtualbox for my vm needs. it's free, easy to use and as safe as it gets with vm's.

but then so is vmware. vmware is the paid preferred program for professional commercial uses. it has a lot of great features and worth it if you wish to pay for it.

otherwise, the free virtualbox is good enough.

i use it for testing software, investigating virus/malware tendencies, virtual networking and many many other things. does all i need and it's free :)

each is different and you will need to learn how to work with whatever you chose. if you have desire to work in the IT world, then vmware is worth learning as is Docker. they are used more than anything for virtualization.

Thanks both for the answer, i need more info to make a well informed decision.

Tried QEmu? Why VirtualBox over QEmu or other OSource software?

Should i worry any leakage of activity (internet or files) between host and VM? Should i worry of a malicious program i test on the VM getting personal info from the host computer?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the only 100% safe use would be on a system that is totally separate from your network and other systems. only then can you be pretty sure you're safe.

with that said, i've never had anything "leak" from a vm and i've been doing this for a long time. malware, viruses, ransomware and all kinds of other fun stuff i've let loose on my vm's.

i even build virtual networks with multiple vm's so i can see how stuff moves from system to system.

does not sound like you are going to get the answer you are looking for honestly since you are asking for a total review of every virtualization software out there using every possible use......

i just know virtualbox works for my uses which sound the same as what you hope to do.

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
the only 100% safe use would be on a system that is totally separate from your network and other systems. only then can you be pretty sure you're safe.

with that said, i've never had anything "leak" from a vm and i've been doing this for a long time. malware, viruses, ransomware and all kinds of other fun stuff i've let loose on my vm's.

i even build virtual networks with multiple vm's so i can see how stuff moves from system to system.

does not sound like you are going to get the answer you are looking for honestly since you are asking for a total review of every virtualization software out there using every possible use......

i just know virtualbox works for my uses which sound the same as what you hope to do.

Any settings you recommend for exactly this, avoiding activity leak or malware leak to host? Also the VPN should only work for the VM wont affect the host PC?

USAFRet

Titan
Here's a concept you may not have thought of....

If you're testing software to detect the existence of malware, some malware will detect that it is running in a VM, and shut itself down.
You then assume that the software is OK.
When in reality, when you install that same software package on your real system, the malware does its thing.

This is where a whole different physical system is used.

Reactions: Math Geek

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i've never tried a vpn from inside a vm. i've used a vm as the endpoint of a vpn but never as the client. so not really sure there.

the only thing special i do with my vm's is to keep it's storage separate from the host machine. i don't share any folders or anything like that so the only storage the vm can "see" is the virtual disk created with it. if you have read and write privileges to important storage on your host through sharing, then it is vulnerable to whatever you are unleashing on the vm. i have a small amount of data i can copy in if needed to see what happens to it, but it stays on the virtual hdd inside the vm and not from my main storage.

Solution

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013

Thanks for all the answers, ill keep looking but i got clear picture of what i need

Status
Not open for further replies.