[SOLVED] Best way to add USB ports

TiCoyote

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
I'm looking at building up a new PC. Mine is 5 years old, and I need to upgrade the CPU, but it's gotten to the point, that really, I need to start from scratch. I'm going to need a new MoBo, CPU, and RAM.

Right now, I have a lot of peripherals. That's okay, since I have 8 USB ports on the MOBO.

It looks like newer MoBos come with fewer USB ports. I was thinking about adding a PCi card to add more ports, but it looks like that would go in the same slot as the WiFi card, and the newer boards only have one PCi Expres x1 slot.

So here are my options:
  1. Get a USB hub. The downside is that I find that some peripherals don't play nicely with these.
  2. Get a USB WiFi adapter. I'm not sure that these are as reliable as the WiFi cards.
  3. ???

I'd love any suggestions you can offer. Thanks!

Solution
assuming you're not talking ITX, if you're not using dual GPU's you can hang off the 2nd PCI-e x 8/16 slot.

you can also attach a USB2 bracket to the USB2.0 headers, most MB's still have those - assuming you don't need all USB3.0 ports.
keyboard and mice certainly fit the bill. if you have a 2nd USB3.0 header there are brackets and 2.5" tray mounts that are available

I'm looking at building up a new PC. Mine is 5 years old, and I need to upgrade the CPU, but it's gotten to the point, that really, I need to start from scratch. I'm going to need a new MoBo, CPU, and RAM.

Right now, I have a lot of peripherals. That's okay, since I have 8 USB ports on the MOBO.

It looks like newer MoBos come with fewer USB ports. I was...
assuming you're not talking ITX, if you're not using dual GPU's you can hang off the 2nd PCI-e x 8/16 slot.

you can also attach a USB2 bracket to the USB2.0 headers, most MB's still have those - assuming you don't need all USB3.0 ports.
keyboard and mice certainly fit the bill. if you have a 2nd USB3.0 header there are brackets and 2.5" tray mounts that are available

It looks like newer MoBos come with fewer USB ports. I was thinking about adding a PCi card to add more ports, but it looks like that would go in the same slot as the WiFi card, and the newer boards only have one PCi Expres x1 slot.

So here are my options:
  1. Get a USB hub. The downside is that I find that some peripherals don't play nicely with these.
  2. Get a USB WiFi adapter. I'm not sure that these are as reliable as the WiFi cards.
  3. ???
I'd love any suggestions you can offer. Thanks!

Solution