[SOLVED] Best way to attach case fans to prevent vibration/sound?

Jack800

Commendable
Feb 8, 2021
Hello All,

What do you use (or what would you use) to attach case fans so as to minimize vibration and sound?
I'll be using Corsair ML120s and from what I see they have vibration pads on four of its corners.

1. Does using a gasket on each fan make sense?
  2. Rubber screws, etc.?

Thank you everyone in advance for your advice and suggestions!

Jack800

Solution
Thanks Lafong, a reality slap is always appreciated.
But I still need to attach the case fans somehow. Are you saying simply using the included screws is enough?

That's what I use.

Naturally, if your fans sound like a Rolls/Merlin powered P-51 in full song, you are going to start grasping at straws.....doo-dads.

Maybe spend the money on different (quieter/larger) fans rather than doo-dads.

Fans are just going to become audible and possibly annoying above 1000 rpm, even 120mm or larger fans.

Buy quiet stuff.....rather than try to make noisy stuff quiet.

If you are hearing vibration or rattling, you may be a victim of a poor case, but in my experience I've never had a fan mount issue. But don't get me started on the front...
I've played with that stuff and found it all to be equal parts of:

Placebo effect
Snake oil
Wishful thinking
Imagination
Irresistible hobbyist urge to spend money on doo-dads

Literally never could detect any difference.

I'd be thinking more along the lines of:

Quieter fans
Larger fans
Less concern about temperatures
More concern about keeping fan rpms down

Jack800

Commendable
Feb 8, 2021
But I still need to attach the case fans somehow. Are you saying simply using the included screws is enough?

That's what I use.

Naturally, if your fans sound like a Rolls/Merlin powered P-51 in full song, you are going to start grasping at straws.....doo-dads.

Maybe spend the money on different (quieter/larger) fans rather than doo-dads.

Fans are just going to become audible and possibly annoying above 1000 rpm, even 120mm or larger fans.

Buy quiet stuff.....rather than try to make noisy stuff quiet.

If you are hearing vibration or rattling, you may be a victim of a poor case, but in my experience I've never had a fan mount issue. But don't get me started on the front bezel of most cases. They are typically hopeless.

Solution

Jack800

Commendable
Feb 8, 2021
Thanks! Oh, I've spent enough money on quality fans already (these Corsair ML120s are not cheap).
The case I'll be using is the Corsair 1000D which is a beast and a pretty good case from what I've read. The build will be all air cooling (for now). I just can't go down that rabbit hole now with AIOs and liquid cooling.

What parts will you have inside?
What will the pc be used for?

If you are considering that case, you must have a very high budget.
Consequently a strong processor and gpu.

If you want quiet, buy a different case.
It is mostly for show at an excessive price.

Fans make noise, they do not cool.
Case fans deliver cooling air to the cpu, gpu and motherboard vrm's.
Think of it this way.
A top air cooler like a noctua NH-D15s has a single 135mm fan.
Assign one front 140mm front intake fan for that.
A good gpu will have perhaps 2 or 3 100mm fans for cooling.
Add a second front 140mm intake for that.

The conclusion would be...
Look for a simple two 140mm front intake and you will have sufficient airflow for your cooling needs.

Jack800

Commendable
Feb 8, 2021
No, I don't have a high budget. But I do look for quality and future-proofing my system.
My current case has served me well for 10 years now and it's time to upgrade that component. Prorating the extra couple of hundred dollars over 10 years comes out to $2-3 per month extra. I can live with that.