Question Best way to bring internet into my large garage?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Marplot

Great
Jan 28, 2022
Please keep it to 1 thread.
I have a metal building about 200 feet from my home. I have an AT&T fiber modem. Wifi extenders? Booster? or just Cat8 Cable to a router?

Marplot

Great
Jan 28, 2022
Disconnected the ethernet cable between ATT and TPLink. Same problem. "Not connected to the TPLink Network" Doneloaded the manual and carefully did what it said. No JOY!

I did get the TPLink Tether on my iPhone and it found the TPLink Router, but can't to see how it can help me.

I am not sure if you can get into the tplink via the iphone. You could try a web browser and put in 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 and see if you get in.

So you connect to a lan port with your pc. Then do ipconfig /all and see what IP you now have. The gateway should be 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. You want to try this IP in the web browser, that is what the tplinkwifi.net should use but using the IP itself is better because you know for sure what you are attempting to connect to. If it still have 192.168.1.254 do IPCONFIG /release IPCONFIG / renew and then look again what ip you have.

If you do not see a gateway ip in the ipconfig or if you still get failures using the ip address I would try a factory reset of the tplink router. I think it is simple as holding the reset button on the back until the lights flash, a few second. Not sure been a while since I had a tplink router.

Marplot

Great
Jan 28, 2022
I am not sure if you can get into the tplink via the iphone. You could try a web browser and put in 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 and see if you get in.

So you connect to a lan port with your pc. Then do ipconfig /all and see what IP you now have. The gateway should be 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. You want to try this IP in the web browser, that is what the tplinkwifi.net should use but using the IP itself is better because you know for sure what you are attempting to connect to. If it still have 192.168.1.254 do IPCONFIG /release IPCONFIG / renew and then look again what ip you have.

If you do not see a gateway ip in the ipconfig or if you still get failures using the ip address I would try a factory reset of the tplink router. I think it is simple as holding the reset button on the back until the lights flash, a few second. Not sure been a while since I had a tplink router.

The ip in the gateway is 192.168.1.254. I did IPCONFIG /release IPCONFIG / renew still have 192.168.1.254. I did factory reset on the TPLink, cleared the data in the browser. Tried Chrome, Edge and Firefox browsers.

Unless somehow someone can help me get into the TPLink Network, I am about to give up and this should be here tomorrow. An access point made to be one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098BRF91P?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

That is not a bad price on a AP even though it doesn't have the feature that most people that buy AP are looking for. It can not be powered by POE it must be plugged into normal wall plug. Not that it matters in your install.

It is also wifi6 but wifi6 is not much faster than wifi5 but again it doesn't likely matter because it will also run wifi5. You really need the newer wifi6e to get the speeds they talk about on wifi6.

I assume you tried to put in 192.168.1.254 in the browser. This is the ip ATT uses on their fiber equipment so it will conflict. I would hook your pc directly to the att router with the tplink turned off and confirm you can get access to the att.

I have no idea how the tplink is using that IP. When you factory reset it should change it back to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1.

Marplot

Great
Jan 28, 2022
That is not a bad price on a AP even though it doesn't have the feature that most people that buy AP are looking for. It can not be powered by POE it must be plugged into normal wall plug. Not that it matters in your install.

It is also wifi6 but wifi6 is not much faster than wifi5 but again it doesn't likely matter because it will also run wifi5. You really need the newer wifi6e to get the speeds they talk about on wifi6.

I assume you tried to put in 192.168.1.254 in the browser. This is the ip ATT uses on their fiber equipment so it will conflict. I would hook your pc directly to the att router with the tplink turned off and confirm you can get access to the att.

I have no idea how the tplink is using that IP. When you factory reset it should change it back to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1.

Please recommend a better AP? I can return this one to Amazon within 30 days. Please advise. I plan to have a lot of wifi connections in my larger barn. It is actually a car barn and I have 15 classic cars. Want to set up some amazing lighting that could be controlled by voice. I lioke Alexa.

I put 192.168.1.254 in my browser. I did get acess to the ATT Fiber equipment. BUT I an UNABLE to access the TPLink. Yes Factory seems to be 92.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. HOWEVER I cannot access anything with those. I get

This site can’t be reached
192.168.1.1 took too long to respond.

Try:
I disabled the Firewall and ran Windows Network Diagnostics. No joy. Not sure how I should deal "the proxy." Not sure wha and how this works. Perhaps the problem lies there?

I very much appreciate your trying to help me.

Please recommend a better AP? I can return this one to Amazon within 30 days. Please advise. I plan to have a lot of wifi connections in my larger barn. It is actually a car barn and I have 15 classic cars. Want to set up some amazing lighting that could be controlled by voice. I lioke Alexa.

I put 192.168.1.254 in my browser. I did get acess to the ATT Fiber equipment. BUT I an UNABLE to access the TPLink. Yes Factory seems to be 92.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. HOWEVER I cannot access anything with those. I get

This site can’t be reached
192.168.1.1 took too long to respond.

Try:
I disabled the Firewall and ran Windows Network Diagnostics. No joy. Not sure how I should deal "the proxy." Not sure wha and how this works. Perhaps the problem lies there?

I very much appreciate your trying to help me.
When accessing 192.168.1.254 does it take you to the main modem/router equipment settings or the tp link routers settings it the tp link the ap mode will be in these settings somewhere

So let me confirm. You have completely disconnected the tplink from the network and connect your pc to a lan port on the tplink.

After this you still see 192.168.1.254 as gateway address in the IPCONFIG /all

Is the DHCP server also set to that IP.

All I can think of is do you have the IP set in the ethernet nic to a fixed value.

Marplot

Great
Jan 28, 2022
I have a ATT I have a BGW320-500. Ran a CAT7 Cable 250feet to an 8000sf metal building. Clear span/ no inside walls. I plan to run 4k Firestick and multiple WIFI devices for lighting. Could be at least 50 possibly 100. I want to have room for future expansion. Cameras 10-16

What access point do you recomend?

kanewolf

Titan
I have a ATT I have a BGW320-500. Ran a CAT7 Cable 250feet to an 8000sf metal building. Clear span/ no inside walls. I plan to run 4k Firestick and multiple WIFI devices for lighting. Could be at least 50 possibly 100. I want to have room for future expansion. Cameras 10-16

What access point do you recomend?
8000 sqft and 100 WIFI devices, two or three APs. Ubiquiti UniFI are what I have and recommend as long as you can live with a learning curve. They can work semi-plug-and-play, but that is not optimal.

Marplot

Great
Jan 28, 2022
When accessing 192.168.1.254 does it take you to the main modem/router equipment settings or the tp link routers settings it the tp link the ap mode will be in these settings somewhere

Takes me only to the main modemATT Fiber. I can't access the tplink at all. Even did factory reset. Can't get the TPLink Network. No access to TPLink Modem
So let me confirm. You have completely disconnected the tplink from the network and connect your pc to a lan port on the tplink.

After this you still see 192.168.1.254 as gateway address in the IPCONFIG /all

Is the DHCP server also set to that IP.

All I can think of is do you have the IP set in the ethernet nic to a fixed value.

Does this help?

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::6e4b:b4ff:fe62:3fc1%5
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 67146142
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-29-32-45-F0-D0-8E-79-15-4C-3F
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 2600:1700:1e91:6200::1

Takes me only to the main modemATT Fiber. I can't access the tplink at all. Even did factory reset. Can't get the TPLink Network. No access to TPLink Modem

Does this help?

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::6e4b:b4ff:fe62:3fc1%5
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 67146142
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-29-32-45-F0-D0-8E-79-15-4C-3F
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 2600:1700:1e91:6200::1
Does the fiber modem register the two routers Ethernet connected to them, in the device list?

It does that even if you have the tplink connected only to the PC and not connected to the ATT box ?

If that is true the tplink is using 192.168.1.254 which is almost too much of a coincidence. Generally you have to set that value by hand it is not one tplink uses as defaults. What makes this even more suspect is IPv6 address you see for DNS is actually a ATT DNS server. I can't see how tplink would ever use that value.

So what I would do is unplug the ethernet cable and verify that the ethernet port is now disconnected and you do not see any ip addresses in the ipcofig command. Then plug into a lan port on the tplink being sure there is only the 1 cable going between the tplink and your PC.

Marplot

Great
Jan 28, 2022
I have the TPLink connected to the ATT box. The ATT box has 192.168.1.254. I cannot access the TPLink box. The info I copied above is entirely from the ATT Box.

OK, I did unplug the ethernet cable. Tried to access the TPLink to see any addresses. till have failure to communicate with the TPLink.

I did plug the TPLInk ethernet cable into the PC. Using IPCONFIG/All --- I got this

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe 2.5GbE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D8-BB-C1-4D-59-6C
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::90a2:604b:e2ef:e9ed%17(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.233.237(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 299416513
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-29-A8-80-B4-D8-BB-C1-4D-59-6C
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D0-3C-1F-0F-98-98
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

C:\Users\billm>

I can't thank you enough for your help!

In some ways this is better. I suspect the tplink is already in bridge mode which is why you get IP addresses from the ATT when it is plugged in. Now that it is not plugged in you do not get any IP which means the tplink is not giving it to you.

So either the tplink is broken or more likely it is in bridge mode. Try again to reset the tplink. I would read the manual but in most cases you take something like a paper clip and hold the reset button for about 10 seconds. You might then have to power cycle the router, not sure the process is different for different devices and I am too lazy to look the manual up to find out.

....update so I found this video that show how to reset a tplink router not sure if it is exactly like yours but they are all very similar
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMdXTqMZYuk

Last edited:
When you say "turn off the DHCP", do you mean on the ATT Box?
No he means in the tplink BUT it is already off and that is part of your issue trying to get into the tplink. Right now you actually need the DHCP turned on so you can get to the setting in the tplink. Later after you get it setup you will turn it off.....or when you set it to AP mode the tplink will turn it off.

Again your best option is to try a factory reset of the tplink device. If you continue not to get a IP address from the tplink you are going to have to go to plan B of buying a different device. Could be the tplink is dead or has crashed the firmware.