Question Best way to bring internet into my large garage?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Marplot

Great
Jan 28, 2022
Please keep it to 1 thread.
I have a metal building about 200 feet from my home. I have an AT&T fiber modem. Wifi extenders? Booster? or just Cat8 Cable to a router?

Marplot

Great
Jan 28, 2022
Last edited:

Marplot

Great
Jan 28, 2022
Problem with EERO. I set up one eero 6 pro and did beautifully. Easy, fast and good speeds in my 8000sf car barn.

However unable to set up the other eero 6 in my garage, but no go. Called Tech support. Fast answer. But they told me that I cannot run two eero from one modem. They "confuse" each other. So I need another access point/router. Not an eero, but anything else.

Oh well. Off again for research for my 1800sf garage.

Marplot

Great
Jan 28, 2022
I am a device hound! I like Alexa(s), lights, music, scenes. I am setting up two buildings outside my home. I have one mesh system in one building that allows 100 devices. I want to set up a smaller mesh system that allows 40 devices. Both mesh systems come from my modem which now has 15 devices on it, now. Both mesh systems run through one wifi network.

Does the 40 device system only work in it's own building? Or does this throttle my overall device picture?

That is strange but I don't keep up with all the mesh systems. I though eero units could run as a AP. Even the cheapest router you can make run as a AP. I generally just use a old router as a AP or actual AP when I need power over ethernet.

Everything is always one network if you only have 1 router and if you set it up it can have the same SSID. This is nothing magic about mesh it is how wifi works since the beginning. The only time "mesh" means anything is if you are not using ethernet backhauls.

Not sure what limits a device would have. They are pretty much made up numbers. The key to how many device can be handled is more bandwidth related. A couple devices running torrent downloads or watching 4k netflix is going to be far different than a 100 smart thermostats sending updates every couple seconds. Hard to say what the actual number is but you should have no issue with 15 devices that are low to medium bandwidth.

There are limits since it must keep track of all the session encryption keys and all the device mac addresses etc. This is purely how much memory does the radio chip have, it is not even a function of the router memory. Never saw any documents that detail this limitation. The other limit you have is you are limited to 254 devices including the router and any AP. This is a limit of the DHCP table with your normal 255.255.255.0 subnet. You can change that to other masks but I don't know how much a home consumer router can really do. Normally if this is a issue you are using a PC as your DHCP server.