Question Best way to keep RAID5 Volume?

Deodedros

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2015
So this feels like a very amateur question but what would be the best way to keep my RAID 5 array in Windows 10? I was planning on upgrading my C: drive as its starting to run low on space. I had set it up through disk management/storage spaces. So I assume if I get a new C: drive the volume may still show up in disk management. But since storage spaces manages the drives and checks the health on them that makes it a software RAID, so again if I were to get a new drive with a new windows it could cause issues.

On another hand I was thinking of trying to create an image of my drive and get a larger version from the same manufacturer and model.

So this feels like a very amateur question but what would be the best way to keep my RAID 5 array in Windows 10? I was planning on upgrading my C: drive as its starting to run low on space. I had set it up through disk management/storage spaces. So I assume if I get a new C: drive the volume may still show up in disk management. But since storage spaces manages the drives and checks the health on them that makes it a software RAID, so again if I were to get a new drive with a new windows it could cause issues.

On another hand I was thinking of trying to create an image of my drive and get a larger version from the same manufacturer and model.
If I'm understanding this correctly you have a normal C drive and an additional storage array using software raid?

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Don't think software raid 5 is available on Windows 10. It's only available on Windows Server.

y7B9J9R.png

So your "raid 5" probably is Windows Storage Space with parity setup?

Move Windows Storage Space to new system

https://superuser.com/questions/1270312/how-to-move-storage-pool

Last edited: