Question Best way to Package RAM

amulsingh01

Reputable
May 29, 2016
I have to send back two stick of RAM for an RMA and was wondering whats the best to way to package RAM safely in a small box since I don't have the original packaging.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Put them in an anti Static bag
Wrap that in a layer of bubble wrap
Place in a Box of your choice.

Rule of thumb for boxes, you want 1-inch padding clearance between all dimensions of the object to be shipped.

Or

Anti Static Bag
Padded Mailer with a Sensitive Electronics Label.

amulsingh01

Reputable
May 29, 2016
Put them in an anti Static bag
Wrap that in a layer of bubble wrap
Place in a Box of your choice.

Rule of thumb for boxes, you want 1-inch padding clearance between all dimensions of the object to be shipped.

Or

Anti Static Bag
Padded Mailer with a Sensitive Electronics Label.

Would a used anti-static bag be safe? I think I still have the one that came with my graphics card.

Would a used anti-static bag be safe? I think I still have the one that came with my graphics card.
Yes, anti-static bag are safe.

I was helping a friend troubleshoot his PC and we needed to return the RAM.
He did not want to wait and of course, he didn't have any of the packaging or anti-static bag.
I took a slim CD case from his collection, place the RAM modules inside and sent it back.
I was surprised when he got a replacement. :oops:

Anti-static bags don't really wear out. If the bag is too degraded to hold your item...it probably wont work but otherwise should be fine.

If you don't have an anti-static bag, then don't use any plastic/foam in your packing material. Use crumpled newpaper, or pages from a phonebook (what else are you going to use a phone book for?) You can still use plastic packing tape to secure the box, but paper based tape would be better. Cellouse packing peanuts (the ones that disolve in water and are generally safe to eat (dirty but won't poison you)) are also okay.