Best way to remove a CPU backplate?

alterlai

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Hello everyone,

A few days ago I posted a thread about removing the screws off of a cpu cooler holder. Here's what i'm talking about.
F9cVMj7.jpg

Now i've managed to actually get the motherboard out but now i'm stuck on removing the backplate.
It seems to be glued on, but i'm not sure what's the best way of removing the backplate without damaging the motherboard.

Here's the backplate:
v3NcFCv.jpg

If anyone has experience removing these things feel free to leave a suggestion.

It probably is glued on there and I wouldn't try to pry it off since that could damage the motherboard. If you have an aftermarket cooler that needs a backplate you should be able to just install the aftermarket coolers backplate right on top of the stock one.

alterlai

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

I couldn't fit the new one on there since it was using push pins instead of screws. I have pried it off and hasn't damaged the motherboard. It was probably a slight risk but i was pretty carefull and it's still working.
By now i've sucessfully installed the new cpu cooler and works better than expectecd!

MonkeyisMonkey

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015

Yes but how you managed to take it off?

alterlai

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

I just used a credit card to kinda loosen the glue and then took a plier and slowly ripped it off. It was just glued to the motherboard. I would recommend using a hair dryer to soften up the glue beforehand.

Terrorsquad1990

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015

Hair dryer is worst thing you can do as it creates static electricity and can cause permanent damage to the motherboard, depsite being it plugged or not.

Best way is to let your PC run and let it run warm that way.
Then shut it off and remove backplate

alterlai

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know that! So yea don't listen to me, listen to @terrorsquad1990 :)