[SOLVED] Best way to run ethernet to basement from 1st floor modem/router?

Apr 30, 2019
Hi! I have a problem. I have a modem/router upstairs in my living room, and I need to get some form of wired Ethernet/ Internet to my basement PC, since the fridge next to my PC causes interference with the WiFi, even with an extender on the opposite wall. I've attached a mostly accurate diagram of what the area of my house looks like, to let you visualize how it looks.
View: https://imgur.com/a/ubHJ9q5

See, under the living room is just a concrete slab, and the basement is only under the kitchen/dining room, which is a few steps up from the living room. This means I can't run a cable through the floor. Unfortunately, there is also a walkway along the wall I'd run a cable through. I'm using this for gaming, so I'd also like a solution that allows the full 1Gbps speed we have. Oh, and if it's of any help, my house was built 1979.

Solution
Without knowing location/construction materials, it's a little tough to judge.

Powerline exists, which can utilize your electrical wiring. It's not a perfect solution though and, given the layout you're working with, I'd consider something like this:

123.jpg

Take the ethernet out the wall, into the garage - run it along the wall and (assuming it's easy enough to do), under the floor, coming in around the fridge area. Obviously watch for electrical, but would be the easiest route I see (for a truly wired connection)

Alternatively, come in down the stairs and under/around.

123.jpg

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Powerline exists, which can utilize your electrical wiring. It's not a perfect solution though and, given the layout you're working with, I'd consider something like this:

123.jpg

Take the ethernet out the wall, into the garage - run it along the wall and (assuming it's easy enough to do), under the floor, coming in around the fridge area. Obviously watch for electrical, but would be the easiest route I see (for a truly wired connection)

123.jpg

Solution
Apr 30, 2019
Not really enough to go by. If the floor is not an option, go up. Run it through the ceiling and then drop down through the wall. You'll want a good long fish tape to do this.

Otherwise, consider powerline adapters.
Alright thanks! Sorry for the lack of information. That should be possible, seeing as we've just installed ceiling lights in the living room recently, there should be room to thread a cable.

Wow, that's super useful! I had a chat with my dad, and that second one is pretty close to what we're planning. In theory, we'll run it through the wall and along the garage, then in the house again down where it comes in through the utility room (next to the basement stairs), under the bottom step then through the two walls next to the fridge to the destination. It turns out a 150ft Cat5e patch cable is only 17 bucks at Home Depot, so I can imagine just a wire being at least a little cheaper. My only worry is running into any plumbing, but let's hope for the best in that regard.