[SOLVED] Best wifi option

Sajvinder

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2015
In 2015 I built a pc desktop and thankfully it is still running pretty well for my needs. I keep having connection issues with the Internet via Ethernet cable.

I didn't get WiFi when I built my pc and now wondering what my options are to get WiFi to either act as a primary or secondary connection when my ethenet cable connection dips.

Gigabyte Z97-D3H

Intel core i5 4690k

Thanks.

Solution
Your motherboard is too old to have the newer m.2 slots that take wifi cards. Your best option is a pcie card, assuming you have room in the case. They are pretty small and most only need a 1x slot.

Cards like this are your best option. This is a popular example from asus but many other vendor make good cards. The key feature is that it has cable to allow you to mount the antenna away from the case. These extension cables increase the price.

The ones with the antenna directly on the card work fine for many people but it is best if the back of the case faces toward the router since the metal case blocks signal

You can also look at USB wifi...
Try a new cable, as it's nearly always the problem and is cheap.

While wifi is less reliable than ethernet, it certainly doesn't hurt to also have it installed. Usually a USB wifi dongle is the way to go for a desktop as you could even put it on the end of a 15' cable so you can easily move it around until you get the best unobstructed signal. If the back of the computer is fairly line-of-sight to the AP then a PCIe wifi adapter card can give better performance as it can be bristling with antennae, but that's of little use if the desktop is on the floor and shielding them from the AP. Extension cables at radio frequencies will rapidly attenuate the signal.

Of course if your intermittent problem is with the ISP, then it will still be there on wifi

Reactions: Sajvinder
Your motherboard is too old to have the newer m.2 slots that take wifi cards. Your best option is a pcie card, assuming you have room in the case. They are pretty small and most only need a 1x slot.

Cards like this are your best option. This is a popular example from asus but many other vendor make good cards. The key feature is that it has cable to allow you to mount the antenna away from the case. These extension cables increase the price.

The ones with the antenna directly on the card work fine for many people but it is best if the back of the case faces toward the router since the metal case blocks signal

You can also look at USB wifi cards. Quality ones work as well as pcie cards. These are a little more tricky since most devices are built for portable devices where low battery usage (ie low radio transmit power) and small size are more important that performance. The best devices come with external mounts and long USB cables.

Reactions: Sajvinder
Solution