Beta SteamVR Interface Is Easy To Navigate, Offers Plenty Of Customization

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkillall

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015
There are two things if they could work out it in the future that would make this freaking amazing. One full sim of your computer as in get some sensors on some gloves to track your fingers and hands so that you can fully manipulate the world like the screen grab and stretch and bring up a virtual keyboard. The other would be to allow a screen so and older game that's not vr companionable to just run in the screen that can be stretched to fit in your fov so a virtual screen i guess. Either way a virtual keyboard and the ability to fully manipulate your environment would be awesome! steam get on this lol.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

There is a virtual keyboard, which now that you mention it, i forgot to talk about.
It comes up when you need to type something in Steam, like a game code (though I'm not sure how you would get the code without taking off the headset)
The keyboard is split down the center, and the trackpads for each hand operate thier respective half, or you can use the pointer.

The virtual screen you discribe sounds more like an app than something Valve needs to put into Steam.
Using a mouse and keyboard is awkward with a VR headset on though, so I don't know how much people would enjoy that.

rtrski

Reputable
Jun 24, 2015
SteamVR backdrop, instead of being a static 360deg image, NEEDS to be some sort of rendered environment, even if it's nothing more than Minecrafty blocks moving around or low-rez pixel fish in an aquarium. Think of Android's "Live Wallpaper" but in VR. PLEASE!

mrkillall

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015
There are two things if they could work out it in the future that would make this freaking amazing. One full sim of your computer as in get some sensors on some gloves to track your fingers and hands so that you can fully manipulate the world like the screen grab and stretch and bring up a virtual keyboard. The other would be to allow a screen so and older game that's not vr companionable to just run in the screen that can be stretched to fit in your fov so a virtual screen i guess. Either way a virtual keyboard and the ability to fully manipulate your environment would be awesome! steam get on this lol.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015
SteamVR backdrop, instead of being a static 360deg image, NEEDS to be some sort of rendered environment, even if it's nothing more than Minecrafty blocks moving around or low-rez pixel fish in an aquarium. Think of Android's "Live Wallpaper" but in VR. PLEASE!

Keep in mind this is the only time your GPU has any kind of downtime while running your VR HMD.
It gets to cool down because there's not much for it to do. If you add 3D environments, you take away from that break your GPU gets in this area.

I personally like the blankness of it. It reminds me of the Construct room in the Matrix.

Status
Not open for further replies.