Discussion Bethesda's Todd Howard confirms "FALLOUT 5" Is coming after Elder Scrolls 6.

Hi,

According to a recent gaming interview news, it appears that Bethesda has indeed confirmed that FALLOUT 5 will be its next game after 'The Elder Scrolls 6', and STARFIELD.

In an interview with IGN, Bethesda's Todd Howard confirmed that 'The Elder Scroll 6' is now in pre-production and that they will be working on Fallout 5 "after that". The good news for Fallout fans is that Fallout 5 is coming, but the bad news is that gamers will have to wait a while.

Check my previous topic in case you overlooked it. Bethesda Game Studio's next big title is Starfield, and it is due to release next year on PC and Xbox Series X/S. Following that launch, 'The Elder Scrolls 6' will be the studio's next big game, and after that will come 'Fallout 5'.

'The Elder Scrolls 6' may have been teased back in 2018, but the game still remains in pre-production. 'The Elder Scrolls 6's' teaser was intended to confirm to fans that Bethesda was not abandoning the single player RPG genre after Fallout 76. That said, The Elders Scroll fans expected more than a "pre-production" after a four year long wait.

It will be a long time before we see Fallout 5, though it is comforting to see that Bethesda has long term plans for its major franchises. Perhaps 'The Elder Scrolls 6' and 'Fallout 5' will come sooner thanks to Starfield's engine changes, and the fact that neither of these games have space combat or over 1,000 planets to explore.

Speaking to IGN, Todd Howard confirms, "Yes, Elder Scrolls 6 is in pre-production and, you know, we’re going to be doing Fallout 5 after that, so our slate’s pretty full going forward for a while. We have some other projects that we look at from time to time as well."

Howard has told IGN previously that the studio has an idea for Fallout 5 in place, saying, "Fallout's really part of our DNA here. We've worked with other [developers] from time to time – I can't say say what's gonna happen. You know, we have a one-pager on Fallout 5, what we want to do."

News Source: https://www.ign.com/articles/todd-howard-bethesda-fallout-5-elder-scrolls-6-starfield

15152410176l.jpg

Last edited:
Thank GOD you mentioned FO5 is actually coming after both Starfield and TES6, because you started out just saying it's coming after TES6. I was about to make a correction, but thankfully I can spare you that because you did end up specifying.

That said, it could be due to Starfield being such a massive project that TES6 is still only in preproduction phase. Bethesda has like 420 developers, and that may seem like a lot, but it's really not when you have a massive project, then two others that may very well have fairly big game maps as well. There's also tons of AI scripting work in these types of games that have lots of dialog choices, and various possible outcomes. Then there's tons of testing that has to be done not just with terrain, but also AI.

Don't be surprised if Todd Howard has grey hairs by the time FO5 releases. :D

Thank GOD you mentioned FO5 is actually coming after both Starfield and TES6, because you started out just saying it's coming after TES6.

Oh yeah, thanks for the correction . Just edited my post, to avoid any confusion. (y)

Don't be surprised if Todd Howard has grey hairs by the time FO5 releases. :D

Haha, that is definitely going to happen. FO5 still remains a far cry for now. :sweatsmile:

I haven't even finished playing SKYRIM, as well as OBLIVION RPGs. So there is more than enough bethesda rpgs to keep me engaged for years. Hopefully by the time Starfield releases, I might have completed these Elder Scrolls titles fully. Never played Morrowind though.

Speaking of Starfield, I just stumbled across this GamesRadar Article. All the leaked info and rumors have been summarized pretty well. It's a nice read though. If anyone is interested, then give this a read.

Starfield: Everything you need to know about Bethesda's space odyssey

https://www.gamesradar.com/starfield-release-date-trailer-next-gen-news/

Any ideas how much the lootbox/micro DLC/pay-to-win rot is going to creep its way into these next few titles from Bethesda?

My biggest fear is that the base TES 6 will barely be a shadow of previous TES titles in depth and breadth of characters, stories, quests, and all those fun little oddities, unless you spend an extra $100+ for the parts that were carved out of the base game for greed's sake.

Any ideas how much the lootbox/micro DLC/pay-to-win rot is going to creep its way into these next few titles from Bethesda?

No, I have no idea whether these upcoming TES games will contain micro-transactions as well. It's too early to comment. but I have a strong feeling it will be plagued by lootboxes/micro DLC and other transactions.

After Skyrim, Bethesda has a lot to live up to with its premier fantasy RPG series, and fans are eagerly waiting to learn more. Though, honestly, those ecstatic fans who are on the edge of their seats waiting for their next Elder Scrolls fix should perhaps put their hype on ice. Bethesda has released a bunch of games lately, and if there’s anything to glean from their latest titles, it’s that the studio is a big fan of microtransactions.

And if The Elder Scrolls 6 microtransactions come to fruition, it should worry the series’ biggest fans.

That’s not to say that The Elder Scrolls 6 will be a bad game though. Bethesda is a busy game studio and publisher. Right now it is busily maintaining The Elder Scrolls Online, Fallout 76, Fallout Shelter, and the The Elder Scrolls: Blades. That’s one big console and PC live service title and one mobile money maker for each of Bethesda’s two big main franchises, and all of these games have one thing in common: "in-game purchases".

All of this makes it more difficult to believe that The Elder Scrolls 6 microtransactions are at least on Bethesda’s mind.

It might require a small miracle for The Elder Scrolls 6 to release free from in-game purchases even if they’re not from the traditional marketplaces but Bethesda’s Creation Club instead. This Creation Club, is a shoo-in to reappear in The Elder Scrolls 6, just because it makes money.

Although all hope is not lost. Fallout 76, Elder Scrolls Online, and all of Bethesda’s mobile games are structured differently than a traditional Elder Scrolls title. The Elder Scrolls 6 is most likely going to be a single-player experience where the trappings of microtransactions would not apply as easily they would in a mobile or multiplayer game. And while plenty of solo games have microtransactions, this slight disconnect would hopefully dissuade Bethesda enough from including them. After all, nothing has been announced yet.

But given the last few Bethesda games, it’s worrying that a great single-player franchise has the potential to be sullied by anti-consumer practices and is why Elder Scrolls 6 microtranscactions would be so sad to see. Should things come to worst if The Elder Scrolls 6 launches with microtransactions, players who feel adamantly enough about it would probably try not to buy the game. And that’s a self-defeating outcome where no one wins.

But I digress.

Last edited:
No, I have no idea whether these upcoming TES games will contain micro-transactions as well. It's too early to comment. but I have a strong feeling it will be plagued by lootboxes/micro DLC and other transactions.

After Skyrim, Bethesda has a lot to live up to with its premier fantasy RPG series, and fans are eagerly waiting to learn more. Though, honestly, those ecstatic fans who are on the edge of their seats waiting for their next Elder Scrolls fix should perhaps put their hype on ice. Bethesda has released a bunch of games lately, and if there’s anything to glean from their latest titles, it’s that the studio is a big fan of microtransactions.

And if The Elder Scrolls 6 microtransactions come to fruition, it should worry the series’ biggest fans.

That’s not to say that The Elder Scrolls 6 will be a bad game though. Bethesda is a busy game studio and publisher. Right now it is busily maintaining The Elder Scrolls Online, Fallout 76, Fallout Shelter, and the The Elder Scrolls: Blades. That’s one big console and PC live service title and one mobile money maker for each of Bethesda’s two big main franchises, and all of these games have one thing in common: "in-game purchases".

All of this makes it more difficult to believe that The Elder Scrolls 6 microtransactions are at least on Bethesda’s mind.

It might require a small miracle for The Elder Scrolls 6 to release free from in-game purchases even if they’re not from the traditional marketplaces but Bethesda’s Creation Club instead. This Creation Club, is a shoo-in to reappear in The Elder Scrolls 6, just because it makes money.

Although all hope is not lost. Fallout 76, Elder Scrolls Online, and all of Bethesda’s mobile games are structured differently than a traditional Elder Scrolls title. The Elder Scrolls 6 is most likely going to be a single-player experience where the trappings of microtransactions would not apply as easily they would in a mobile or multiplayer game. And while plenty of solo games have microtransactions, this slight disconnect would hopefully dissuade Bethesda enough from including them. After all, nothing has been announced yet.

But given the last few Bethesda games, it’s worrying that a great single-player franchise has the potential to be sullied by anti-consumer practices and is why Elder Scrolls 6 microtranscactions would be so sad to see. Should things come to worst if The Elder Scrolls 6 launches with microtransactions, players who feel adamantly enough about it would probably try not to buy the game. And that’s a self-defeating outcome where no one wins.

But I digress.
I would only be okay with them sticking to the creation club if they allow purchasers of the base game the ability to completely avoid and ignore it. No forced updates that kill dozens of fan-made mods just for the sake of a paid feature that I want nothing to do with. Bethesda completely sours fan-made modding every time they push an update for the creation club and they know it.

...and now I'm digressing :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Shame best Fallout was New Vegas and not made by Bethesda.

Starfield is Fallout in space. Fallout is skyrim with guns. Where is skyrim in space?
Hopefully Todd will go away and Microsoft might find some talent left once they slam Blizzard/Acivision together with Bethesda... a monstrosity if ever I seen one. MIght be someone left who knows how to make games... so many marketers cry out in pain.

I would buy EA as well and then when you own trifecta of evil, close them all. No loss.

Last edited:
There are actually rumors floating on the web that Bethesda's upcoming vampire co-op shooter REDFALL might cause more delays for both 'The Elder Scrolls 6' and 'Fallout 5'. Redfall's initial release date has been pushed from Q1 2023 to Q3 2023 next year. 😟

So only after Starfield and Redfall, when they are finally released, we might at least expect Elder Scrolls 6 and Fallout 5. Even though ARKANE Studios are making REDFALL, there are rumors about a delay by Bethesda which might effect other titles as well. But I hope the dates are not pushed indefinitely, and these rumors are debunked.

There are actually rumors floating on the web that Bethesda's upcoming vampire co-op shooter REDFALL might cause more delays for both 'The Elder Scrolls 6' and 'Fallout 5'. Redfall's initial release date has been pushed from Q1 2023 to Q3 2023 next year. 😟

So only after Starfield and Redfall, when they are finally released, we might at least expect Elder Scrolls 6 and Fallout 5. Even though ARKANE Studios are making REDFALL, there are rumors about a delay by Bethesda which might effect other titles as well. But I hope the dates are not pushed indefinitely, and these rumors are debunked.
Yea I know they're working on Redfall, but thought they were nearly done developing it. Upon further searching though I found they delayed it until first half of next year some time.

I wouldn't mind so much if Redfall involved us playing as a protagonist that hunts vampires with various unique weapons, but it's looking like you actually play as a vampire, and that's not my kind of game.

Are you sure we can play as a vampire as well, at least in Single player ? Not sure, but according to this link, these are the playable characters in Redfall. Mercenary, a cryptozoologist, a combat engineer and a college student.

https://bethesda.net/en/article/5tDZ6b8XEBJKimmB7UfgEo/redfall-guide-heroes
I guess I was wrong about the premise of the game. If we play as mercs that hunt them, I'm fine with that. Upon closer inspection though, it may be a bit too arcade for my liking.

Yeah, the gameplay has a bit arcade-ish feel to it.
After watching this latest exclusive gameplay reveal, it looks to be less magic contrived than I thought. Meaning no matter what gadgets you use, it looks like you still have to back it up with shooting. So if the player consensus is it plays mostly like a shooter, I'll definitely give it a whirl.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.