[SOLVED] Better cooler for RX580 Asus DUAL

Feb 4, 2020
stick with 1 thread
So I have a Asus dual rx580. And it runs very, very hot. Pretty much as soon as I start a game the temps shoot up to almost 90C°. I've tried repasting, undervolting, custom fan curves, adding more fans to my case, pretty much everything but a different cooler. All the things listed before do get it to around 80 degrees but it is still really loud, Which I hate. So I want to put a custom cooler on the card. But I don't know if they all fit. I've looked at the Arctic coolers but they say that the Asus pcb's don't fit. So does anybody know of a good/quiet cooler for this card? Thank you.

Solution
Well that would be a problem. I got it as a Christmas gift and I don't think they would let me sell it.
Get a water cooler then, its about the same price. You will need the adapter first:
https://www.nzxt.com/products/kraken-g12-white

And a compatible AIO from the website I linked.

It will be dead silent and runs pretty cool. Also you will be able to reuse it on a new GPU in the future whereas an air cooler will only be compatible with your current GPU.
Feb 4, 2020
So I have a Asus dual rx580. And it runs very, very hot. Pretty much as soon as I start a game the temps shoot up to almost 90C°. I've tried repasting, undervolting, custom fan curves, adding more fans to my case, pretty much everything but a different cooler. All the things listed before do get it to around 80 degrees but it is still really loud, Which I hate. So I want to put a custom cooler on the card. But I don't know if they all fit. I've looked at the Arctic coolers but they say that the Asus pcb's don't fit. So does anybody know of a good/quiet cooler for this card? Thank you.

At that point its better to sell the card and get a better one with 3 fans.

To me it sounds like your cooler might be defective. Something may be wrong with the mating surface that is preventing it from conducting heat properly. Has it always been this way? Did it start after you cleaned the fans or did some other maintenance? Where potentially you bumped the cooler. It's very strange that it would be so hot after you've taken these measures. Assuming (no offence intended) they were done properly.

You might try lapping to improve the flatness, if possible, it may not be possible. Or buying a defective/dead ASUS rx580 and stealing the cooler from that.

Well that would be a problem. I got it as a Christmas gift and I don't think they would let me sell it.
Get a water cooler then, its about the same price. You will need the adapter first:
https://www.nzxt.com/products/kraken-g12-white

And a compatible AIO from the website I linked.

It will be dead silent and runs pretty cool. Also you will be able to reuse it on a new GPU in the future whereas an air cooler will only be compatible with your current GPU.

Solution
Is your system a prebuilt or custom? What model system or case do you have and how many case fans does it have? You probably don't have enough airflow if you only have 1-2 fans.

Feb 2, 2020
Sorry man, but it's toast.
If your voltage and clock speeds are normal .. it can't be your motherboard .. it can only be a defective heatsink .. the pipe cracked .. or the heatsink became loose do to mishandling, and/or natural expansion and contraction.

Meaning it's lost either air pressure, or physical pressure against the GPU, and burned up its thermal paste as a result. It will be cheaper to purchase a water cooler, and applying that, rather than buying a new card.

My stock clock, undervolted (1020 mV), 2 fan MSI RX-580
Runs at 70-75c with only 35% fan .. YIKES!

Last edited: