Question Better GPU option for an i7-6700K- - - would an RX 6700 (non XT) bottleneck it noticeably in 1080p @ 144Hz ?

Lameth

Honorable
Aug 3, 2016
Hi,

I am looking to upgrade my old GPU now that there are some windows with "normal" pricing.
I don't plan to burn my money but to do an upgrade that keeps me going 2 or 3 years more at decent frame-rates with new games.

This is my current setup:
i7 6700K
Asus Z170-A
16GB ram
Sapphire R9 Fury 4GB
EVGA Supernova B2 750W

I play at 1080p 144Hz

Checking the market I was initially looking for a RTX 2060 6GB/12GB but I came to the conclusion that AMD offers me better performance for less/same price.
So what I am considering right now:

RX 6600(non XT) PCIE 4.0 x8 - (arround 270 EUR)
RX 6700(non XT) PCIE 4.0 x16 (arround 330 EUR)

My doubts are with having severe or noticeable bottlenecks with the RX 6700 or it's still viable?
Also what concerns me a bit is that RX 6600 apparently more suitable has only x8 memory slots while RX 6700 has x16. So my PCIE 3.0 x16 motherboard would benefit more with the later but I am not sure how impactful/relevant that is.

Could you please give me some feedback? is RX 6700(non XT) too much for my CPU at 1080p 144Hz? Should I just go with the 6600?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I wouldn't overthink the whole bottleneck thing. The 6700 would perform much better than your current Fury and generate less heat as well. The PCIe interface on the 6600 does limit it to some extent, but even that would be less of a factor in this older rig than it would be in a more modern/capable rig.

The 6700 would also perform well in an updated system should you decide to modernize your mobo/CPU combo in the future.

Lameth

Honorable
Aug 3, 2016
I wouldn't overthink the whole bottleneck thing. The 6700 would perform much better than your current Fury and generate less heat as well. The PCIe interface on the 6600 does limit it to some extent, but even that would be less of a factor in this older rig than it would be in a more modern/capable rig.

The 6700 would also perform well in an updated system should you decide to modernize your mobo/CPU combo in the future.

Thanks for your answer, yeah I would probably keep the GPU once I go for new build. And now that I'm thinking, If I'm not mistaken, the equivalent GPU for a PS5 is a RX 5700xt so more reason to go for a 6700. I would be "covered" for this gen of gaming also.

Lameth

Honorable
Aug 3, 2016
I wouldn't be concerned about the x8 PCI-E lanes on the 6600, it in practice it makes little difference.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6600-xt-pci-express-scaling/19.html

The 6600 would perhaps be a more appropriate pairing for a quad core CPU but as @COLGeek says you can use it with an updated CPU/mobo at a later date. I had a 6700K with a 3080 for a while, what games do you play?

Thank you for that PCIE scaling test., really illustrative.
I play mostly single player games. The reason I am looking to upgrade is because some of the newer titles can't be handled in high/ultra by the Fury at least at 60fps.
I plan to play God of War, Horizon, Elden Ring, Cyberpunk, Resident Evil 4 remaster and some alike once I get the new GPU that will allow me for a better experience on those kind of demanding games.

Thank you for that PCIE scaling test., really illustrative.
I play mostly single player games. The reason I am looking to upgrade is because some of the newer titles can't be handled in high/ultra by the Fury at least at 60fps.
I plan to play God of War, Horizon, Elden Ring, Cyberpunk, Resident Evil 4 remaster and some alike once I get the new GPU that will allow me for a better experience on those kind of demanding games.
Your welcome. Cyberpunk was one game that I found really punished my 6700K with a 3080. You should be able to play with a relatively stable 60 FPS with crowd density reduced to low. I found with Ray Tracing though things start to fall apart but you may not be interested in RT. A 6700 will be a vast improvement over what you have and will allow you to play most modern games at 60 FPS with all the eye candy. 144hz is more challenging but what mileage you get depends on what game it is. CSGO and Rainbow Six Siege are much easier to drive than say Battlefield 2042, not that I'm condoning anyone play the latter.

TRENDING THREADS