Better PC133: 384MB CAS 3 or 256 CAS 2

G

I currently need to purchase more RAM for my system. I have a 1GHz Athlon T-Bird on a Biostar M7VKXB KT-133 motherboard. I do video editing and upgraded to Win2k and now need more RAM. I currently have 128MB of Hyundai PC133 CAS3.

So, my choice is should I go with another 256MB of Hyundai PC133 CAS3 at $150 to give me 384MB total, or get 256MB of Crucial PC133 CAS2 at $200 to give me 256MB and try sell the CAS3 Hyundai for $60(hard to do). I guess the real question is here is 384MB of CAS3 Hyundai RAM better then 256MB of CAS2 Crucial RAM.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You're doing heavy video editing? If so, I would go for the 384MB.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://zidane222.cjb.net" target="_new">http://zidane222.cjb.net</A></b>

G

I would go with the 256MB CAS2. Performance is crucial, and you just have to make sure that you are not running a lot of other progrmas that are not required.

RavenPrime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There is a big performance difference between C2 and C3.
There will not be as big a performance difference between 256MB and 384MB even when doing video editing. If you data is sitting in your RAM because of a long latency, having more in RAM is not going to be much help.
Get 256MB C2 RAM. Crucial brand is a plus.

:cool: James

mpjesse

Splendid
With video editing and Windows 2K the more memory the better... go with the 384 megs... Memory performance isn't everything, real gaines in memory performance come out of games not applications. I used to do serious digital video editing in college as a hobby- but the biggest increase in speed with video editing will come from a fast SCSI hard drive. Like 10,000 RPM

-MP Jesse

G

So it looks like its about half and half. I have a brother that is a Computer Tech. and he thinks that the 384MB CAS3 Hyundai is the way to go. Does any body have any good or bad experience with Hyundai RAM. It came cheap with my board.

I do play games too and I get hang ups in those like Windows bumping the VRmemory up as I play in Deus Ex

G

Another question is there ever such a thing as wasteful amounts of RAM. Like if I got 2 256MB CAS3 DIMMs giving me 640MB total. I suppose I could run Windows completly in RAM, but besides that silliness?

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Hyundai is fairly good RAM. It is definitely better than generic RAM. And RAM is never wasted when you use programs that can use it all.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://zidane222.cjb.net" target="_new">http://zidane222.cjb.net</A></b>

ledzepp98

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
BEFORE YOU BUY NEW RAM...sometimes cas3 ram can run at cas2... it's like overclocking a processor. before i continue, my general opinion would be to have 384megs rather than 256megs for video and photo editing. most applications reach a point of diminishing returns at around 128megs to 192megs of ram. editing, however, seems to be able to use as much as it can get. now, getting back to what i was saying before... you might get lucky and be able to run the hyundai at cas2!?! try it with your 128meg chip.... that's just my opinion, i could be wrong.

G

> I used to do serious digital video editing in college as a hobby- but the biggest increase in speed with video editing will come from a fast SCSI hard drive. Like 10,000 RPM

That's probably because you didn't have enough memory. You were doing alot of paging to disk.

G

Is there wastefull amounts of ram?

Anythng you buy that you never use is wastefull.

Personally if I were doing video editong, I would want 512MB cas2 ram.

G

I'd take the 384mb, Windows 2000 Pro takes 64mb just for itself, so more RAM the better.

G

Tried that one before! Good idea, Bad results. My Computer would not even boot the CMOS or BIOs so I had to resest the jumpers and leave it at CAS3. Damn, touchy VIA Chipset.

mpjesse

Splendid
"That's probably because you didn't have enough memory. You were doing alot of paging to disk."

Negative my friend! When you do video editing, your usually dealing with extremely high resolution video- like MPEG-2- and most programs write the edits to the hard drive. At least they used to. Anyways, our video editing machine had 512 megs of RAM. Don't forget audio too, most programs use AC3 and DTS intertwined with the video stream... anyhow, more RAM and faster HD make a big difference- not a 33mhz difference in RAM speed.

-MP Jesse

Raistlin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
cas2 to cas 3 isnt 33mhz? where did you get mhz from...
as there is also 3 setting cas 3 uses 3-3-3 cas 2 is 2-2-2
you can try to bump them down one at a time.
yes i froze my computer and it wouldnt boot but my a7v lets me hit the reset button on front to go into bios if it cant boot ;)

also anything over 256meg isnt gonna mean much.
128 works for most people

Bored,Certified Tech

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
i would go for 386mb if your using nt4 or win2k or linux. if you using win95, win98 ,winMe go for 256mb.

win 2k is 13x more stable then win98 and its true :)

-- takes one to now one --

G

Actually yes there is. Different OS have different sweet spots for memory. 98 and ME for example peak about 128MB (except for special applications). 256MB is spot for 2K. However, video/photoediting show performance increases all the way while most apps level off at the OS spot. Q3 supposedly even shows a decrease in moving from 128 to 196 in 98. Now something like linux that will cache as much of the hard drive as possible in memory regardless of how much memory should show increases with each amount of ram (assuming using programs that are bigger than amount of ram). General use in 2K, 256 would be better. If you're doing lot of video, more memory is better and don't worry about the latency as much.

"The answer is not in your hair."
"I'd rather jump in the lava than be fragged by you."