[SOLVED] Better Space...

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Hi all, I might have an opportunity to make a better choice between these drives:
Crucial P2 2TB PCIE M.2 NVME SSD
or
Samsung 870 EVO 2TB 2.5" SATA III SSD

Witch one would be better in the long run for my gaming pc, or if there is another option for me to lookout for I would love to hear it. (I'm going to be looking around for some other options a bit)

Last edited:
Solution
But then I would end up with 1TB less space, but far better performance. And of course I would be without a C:\Drive for some time until the pickup and deliveries are completed, and the redoing of all installations.
Stay with the 870 or the Crucial. The 980 Pro is 'faster', but you'd only see that in rare circumstances.
And twice the space is hard to argue against.
Can't go wrong with either option. The Samsung 870 EVO is a pretty great model and well known but being a SATA III SSD means its read and write speeds are about 4x slower than the Crucial P2 2TB Nvme SSD (games will still load pretty fast on SSD's regardless). The Crucial is much smaller and requires no cables to connect - its life cycle is also pretty long and has software to manage and monitor its health (this applies for both SSD models), just make sure your motherboard supports M.2 Nvme.

Overall, I'd go with the Crucial, its M.2 feature simply means faster speeds and less physical management.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Isn't heat going to be a concern, that's my only concern (M.2 drive sits right between the GPU and CPU) as we know it can get hot there when gaming... but the fact is that more performance of the M.2 drive will help in the future for larger games...

They are both the same size.

So does my motherboard actually support this exact model : Crucial P2 2TB PCIE M.2 NVME SSD (Motherboard: Gigabyte B460M D3H bios version F3)

Isn't heat going to be a concern, that's my only concern (M.2 drive sits right between the GPU and CPU) as we know it can get hot there when gaming... but the fact is that more performance of the M.2 drive will help in the future for larger games...

They are both the same size.

So does my motherboard actually support this exact model : Crucial P2 2TB PCIE M.2 NVME SSD (Motherboard: Gigabyte B460M D3H bios version F3)

Your board should be able to support the Crucial drive, as for temp issues that won't necessarily be a problem as long as you have good case flow. Throttling for an NVMe drive usually occurs around 70C which would require a lot of reading/writing to it to build up that much heat, even if next to the GPU. Some boards do come with an M.2 heatsink to cover the SSD and passively dissipate the heat, so check your motherboard box to see if it came with it. You're also going to need the little screw that came with that board to lock the SSD in place after installation.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Thanks for your reply. I have everything I need to make the change and see if I come out on the other end with a better drive.

One other concern might be that if I do not prefer the later over the former that I cant or might not be able to go back and thus would have to settle for something smaller in size or higher in cost to get to where I am now with the 870 EVO 2tb.

As a practical matter you will not notice any difference in performance between a 2.5" sata ssd and a m.2 pcie ssd.
True, pcie is faster sequentially, but most work is small random I/o.

Today, there seems to be little difference in cost for 2tb regardless of m.2 vs 2.5"
m.2 is a cleaner install, requiring no sata power or data cables.

For relibility, I would pick samsung.
It is the go to ssd used by puget sustems:

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Still did not made up my mind yet, all things considered.

Reliability is actually more important than synthetic pure speed.

Does anybody know and would recommend any other drive in the same price range?

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
I might suggest 2tb Intel 660P as a good value.
https://www.newegg.com/intel-660p-series-2tb/p/N82E16820167461?quicklink=true

Intel and samsung make their own nand chips and controllers so they can do a better job of quality control.

Samsung 980 PRO is as good as it gets:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/samsung-980-pro-prime-day-deal

Unfortunately they don't sell Intel drives here, Would have loved to get my hands on one.

I can exchange my 870 EVO 2TB for an M.2 980 PRO 1TB.

But then I would end up with 1TB less space, but far better performance. And of course I would be without a C:\Drive for some time until the pickup and deliveries are completed, and the redoing of all installations.

And another thing I have picked up on today is "QLC" and "TLC" and "MLC"

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Stay with the 870 or the Crucial. The 980 Pro is 'faster', but you'd only see that in rare circumstances.
And twice the space is hard to argue against.

Solution