News Better than 2080 Ti? RTX 3070 Benchmarks Hit Geekbench

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
Its unfortunate that unless you are willing and able to camp out a brick and mortar store a few days prior to launch, their is little likelihood of actually being able to purchase one. Nvidia doesn't care who buys the cards and only said they were manually removing bot purchases to say that that did something. I'd love to replace my GTX 1080 to step into ray tracing in preparation for cyberpunk 2077, but its looking like iI'll be waiting to see what AMD brings to the table with big navi.

drewthebrave

Reputable
Aug 16, 2017
This is good news. Hopefully the AMD card reveal next week offers something competitive and hopefully is available to purchase in reasonable quantities so that we can upgrade our rigs for Cyberpunk.

Sep 13, 2020
No it is not better in anyway .. you cant compare 8GB card against 11GB and say it is better.

If you can get RTX 2080 ti for $500 it is the better choice.
If the 8 GB delivers better fps on 1440p and 4k than the 8 GB card is better than the 11 GB card. Just because something has more RAM does not automatically make it better.
That is like saying an i7 9700 with 64 GB RAM is better than a Ryzen 5800 with 32 GB RAM. Plus you won´t get a 2080 ti for 500 unless it is used in which case you get the worse choice.

Reactions: NP

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
If the 8 GB delivers better fps on 1440p and 4k than the 8 GB card is better than the 11 GB card. Just because something has more RAM does not automatically make it better.
That is like saying an i7 9700 with 64 GB RAM is better than a Ryzen 5800 with 32 GB RAM. Plus you won´t get a 2080 ti for 500 unless it is used in which case you get the worse choice.

2% better does not make much difference .,more VRAM is alot better . besides , some games are using more than 8GB already with everything maxed out in 1440p , and for sure future games will need more memory

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
No it is not better in anyway .. you cant compare 8GB card against 11GB and say it is better.

Assuming the performance is real and the reviews will tell the same story, actually the RTX 3070 is better than a RTX 2080ti in every way except one: 11GB for 4k gaming.

In every other way the RTX 3070 is better (for 1080p/1440p gaming):
  • you actually need to find a RTX 2080ti at 500$ first, 3070 has 500$ MSRP already.
  • you need to play the used market lottery with the 2080ti, 3070 is brand new so the 2080ti can be a dud or will have little to no warranty anymore, the opposite is true with the 3070
  • the 3070 will age better and get better driver support as drivers and optimizations get more mature for it
  • the 3070 will have higher re-salebility in 2 years, when 2080ti will be 4 years old...
  • the 3070 will have lower power consumption than the 2080ti

Of all these reasons the most important one is that you should always buy new instead of used if the performance is equal.

2% better does not make much difference .,more VRAM is alot better . besides , some games are using more than 8GB already with everything maxed out in 1440p , and for sure future games will need more memory
Which games? On my 3080 I have not seen any go over 6GB using 1440p. Also VRAM used does not mean VRAM required.

Also Id expect in Ray Tracing the 3070 should be significantly stronger even if non RT games are similar performance.

Last edited:

colson79

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012

Ram doesn't mean anything unless you need it. If the 3070 is as fast as the 2080 ti in normal games and has faster performance in ray tracing it is better. It's been proven that most games don't really need more than 8 GB of vram up to 4k

Reactions: NP and sizzling

colson79

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012
This simple isn't true. Most of the tools that you can get to show VRAM shows you how much VRAM is allocated not how much VRAM is used. If the card has more VRAM that 8 GB it is going to allocate more that 8 GB, but it doesn't mean it's using more that 8GB. You need special development tools to see the actual usages and some test have been done and almost all AAA games use less than 8 GB at 4k ultra.

Giroro

Splendid
I'll say the same thing about the 3070 that I will say about most video games.
Wait for all the independent reviews, never preorder anything, and falling victim to FOMO hype is not good justification for a big purchase. It's not a good idea to order a graphics card a few weeks before a major graphics card launch (and the day after announcement, really). We don't know what Big Navi will be, but we do know that it was enough to make Nvidia price their cards (relatively) aggressively (compared to their own bloated prices).
Yes $500 seems inexpensive... but only because it is being compared to a card that was universally panned for being overpriced - even 2 years ago when it was brand new and before people realized that nearly no games were going to end up supporting RTX.
Another reason to wait and see for Big Navi to be released/tested: games are always going to target consoles over PC, so future games with ray tracing are going to be optimized for AMD's method first, and Nvidia's method "maybe, if they pay us".

mrv_co

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2016
I'll say the same thing about the 3070 that I will say about most video games.
Wait for all the independent reviews, never preorder anything, and falling victim to FOMO hype is not good justification for a big purchase. It's not a good idea to order a graphics card a few weeks before a major graphics card launch (and the day after announcement, really). We don't know what Big Navi will be, but we do know that it was enough to make Nvidia price their cards (relatively) aggressively (compared to their own bloated prices).
Yes $500 seems inexpensive... but only because it is being compared to a card that was universally panned for being overpriced - even 2 years ago when it was brand new and before people realized that nearly no games were going to end up supporting RTX.
Another reason to wait and see for Big Navi to be released/tested: games are always going to target consoles over PC, so future games with ray tracing are going to be optimized for AMD's method first, and Nvidia's method "maybe, if they pay us".

Yep, I'm in absolutely no rush. I'm happy to watch the GPU wars play out from the sidelines. My CPU situation (i5-6600K) is far more dire than my GPU situation (5700XT). I have a new B550 mobo, 2x32GB RAM and a 4.0 1TB waiting on me to pick a CPU.

fevanson

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014

I second this I retired a gtx 770 2gb last year, if I had the 4gb version I would still be using it @ 1080p. Now i'm using the rtx 2060 super 8gb hopefully it will last me a few years at 2k-4k dlss with medium-high settings.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
This simple isn't true. Most of the tools that you can get to show VRAM shows you how much VRAM is allocated not how much VRAM is used. If the card has more VRAM that 8 GB it is going to allocate more that 8 GB, but it doesn't mean it's using more that 8GB. You need special development tools to see the actual usages and some test have been done and almost all AAA games use less than 8 GB at 4k ultra.

This was said about the 10GB RTX 3080 , 8GB is not enough for some games and future games.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Ram doesn't mean anything unless you need it. If the 3070 is as fast as the 2080 ti in normal games and has faster performance in ray tracing it is better. It's been proven that most games don't really need more than 8 GB of vram up to 4k

Nothing was proven , The whole talk was about the RTX 3080 10GB VRAM and if it is enough or not ... for 8GB no one ever claimed it is enough for max details and higher resolutions.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Reactions: LeighPing
Flight Sim is not representative of games, its a sim and really not comparable to any other game. I don't believe either of those COD WZ videos. At 1440p even a 3080 can't hold 144fps at max settings and I've never seen it over 6gb. Additionally as has already been pointed out vram usage doesn't mean vram needed. Do you have anything from a reputable review site?

Reactions: Makaveli
Its unfortunate that unless you are willing and able to camp out a brick and mortar store a few days prior to launch, their is little likelihood of actually being able to purchase one. Nvidia doesn't care who buys the cards and only said they were manually removing bot purchases to say that that did something. I'd love to replace my GTX 1080 to step into ray tracing in preparation for cyberpunk 2077, but its looking like iI'll be waiting to see what AMD brings to the table with big navi.

Don't worry AMD is about to help with all the supply issues. If you want a 3070 just let AMD launch and there will me much less of a shortage.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Flight Sim is not representative of games, its a sim and really not comparable to any other game. I don't believe either of those COD WZ videos. At 1440p even a 3080 can't hold 144fps at max settings and I've never seen it over 6gb. Additionally as has already been pointed out vram usage doesn't mean vram needed. Do you have anything from a reputable review site?

There is no way to determine the exact required VRAM needed , Reviewers dont have the utility to do it . but when I see 9-10 GB usage thats 1-2GB over 8GB of RTX 3070 I wont risk buying an 8GB card in 2020 . Even if it was caching 1-2GB is alot . I would never gamble on it.

Also , My main point was , if you have two cards at the same performance and you could find RTX 2080 ti in ebay for $500 thats for sure a better card than RTX 3070 with only 8GB of VRAM.

If you dont believe two movies from two different posters in COD showing 9-10GB VRAM used in BOTH , then this is your problem.

and you dont even know where to draw the line , People when pointed out about the VRAM were talking about the RTX 3080 with 10GB of VRAM .. thats just 1 GB difference less than RTS 2080 ti , it is acceptable .

But when you compare it to full 3GB difference between 11 and 8 GB thats another story ...

and it is a bad idea to gamble on that.

Last edited:

veldrane2

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
So the 3070 .....

Heh

There is an article about rumors on Guru3d that the 16 and 20 GB cards along with 3070s are getting cancelled.

Granted its just rumors, however up to this point all their other rumor articles about this launch have been correct,