Better Wireless Solution Than a Range Extender?

alexdh01

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
I recently had my wireless internet upgraded but there are still dead-spots in my basement. I can't move the router. I decided to purchase a range extender. The range extender is working. It's putting out a 2.4GHz connection and a 5GHz connection. It's giving me coverage in my basement just fine but the speeds are quite slow. Also my laptop is single band so it is unable to connect to the 5 GHz network and achieve any decent speeds, it's getting about 5Mbps. My cell phone is getting the 5GHz connection and getting anywhere between 7 and 12Mbps. I understand that range extenders cut your bandwidth in half. I have a hard-wired connection in my basement as well. It's currently ran to a gaming console that has wi-fi.

I guess my question here is, is there something better I could be doing with the hard-wired connection? Is there a range extender I could wire it into? Or can I simply get another wireless router and wire that into my existing router? Would I see an increase in speed with a router? Any recommendation for routers?

Also I have speakers and TV remotes that are dependant on being on the same network as the router. Right now there doesn't seem to be a conflict with these devices when they are on the range extenders network. Hopefully a router wouldn't change that.

I know this a long one, but hopefully someone who's got some knowledge knows better than I. Thanks guys.

TLDR Bad wireless connection in basement. Bought range extender. Weak speeds. Have hard wired connection in basement. Can I get a router or hardwired range extender?

Solution

Yes, you can get a second router to use as an access point in the basement.

Since there are more routers than access points (or range extenders) to choose from, you'll have many more options when choosing what's best for your needs, and you'll eliminate the speed-halving caused by range extenders.

Just configure the router as an access point; connect the cable to a numbered LAN port on the second router and turn off LAN DHCP on it as well.

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

Yes, you can get a second router to use as an access point in the basement.

Since there are more routers than access points (or range extenders) to choose from, you'll have many more options when choosing what's best for your needs, and you'll eliminate the speed-halving caused by range extenders.

Just configure the router as an access point; connect the cable to a numbered LAN port on the second router and turn off LAN DHCP on it as well.

Solution