Question Between Ryzen 1300X and ryzen 2600

Rojak

Commendable
May 8, 2019
I planned on building a PC with LG monitor for 75 Refresh rate with a freesync capability. I want the build to be able to play 1080p AAA game on ultra at stable +75 fps for around 3 years. I don't want to overkill on the processor. Budget is also quite tight, so should I get ryzen 5 2600 or ryzen 3 1300X with a bit overclocking will suffice? If you could please tell me the best GPU pairng for it. Thanks

Get the 2600, the 1300X isn't good enough for all games to be played at ultra. It'll play most games, but it's too low-end for a gaming rig, especially when you can afford a 2600, there's no point in going with the 1300X then.

As fro the GPU, since you also have Freesync, I would say go with an RX 590 or RX 580 8 GB, you might not be able to play all games at ultra but all of them will run at high easily. At ultra, 75 FPS will not be stable, especially in very demanding games like the newer Assassin's Creed titles, Ghost Recon: Wildlands, etc.

If you absolutely want 75 FPS stable, then I would say get the RTX 2060, and you can use Freesync with an Nvidia GPU anyway, so you'll be fine. RTX 2060 will give you what you want in almost every game. Again, there will be a few exceptions, because ultra settings in some games require ridiculous GPU horsepower, while they don't increase visual quality that much, so compromises have to be made sometimes.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Be wary of buying any CPU right now. Ryzen 3000 is right around the corner and Intel is about to release a bunch of new 9th gen variants. I'd wait until the end of May to decide if possible. Announcements should be coming about Ryzen 3000 at computex. These announcements could turn the consumer desktop CPU market on its head. If you decide ryzen is best for your needs, and need a holdover CPU while the dust settles on 3000 series, the R5 1600 is an excellent choice. Here in the US it costs half that of a 2600 at Micro Center.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Don't underestimate the 1300X. It's still a good CPU.

OP we need your full budget for CPU and GPU to help.

Meh. Give me a 1600 any day of the week or twice on Tuesday for $20 more. It costs more than a 2200g on amazon too. I also wouldn't pay $35 more for it than a 1200. But I agree it could possibly be adequate depending on pricing and the rest of the parts he's looking at. My pricing could be irrelevant depending on location as well. Still a terrible time to be CPU shopping.

InvalidError

Titan
Don't underestimate the 1300X. It's still a good CPU.
4C4T is getting a bit old even for current games, could be way past its prime on the way to the 3+ years of useful life OP is aiming for.

I would aim for the 1600 at a minimum, 1700/2600 depending on how much extra they cost with a preference for the 2600 where gaming is the primary concern, then OP should be set for the next 3-5 years.

So close to the 3000s' launches though, I'd be very tempted to wait to see where prices and performance settle at. Worst case, the 2600/2700 should still get considerably cheaper.

Reactions: rigg42

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
4C4T is getting a bit old even for current games, could be way past its prime on the way to the 3+ years of useful life OP is aiming for.

I would aim for the 1600 at a minimum, 1700/2600 depending on how much extra they cost with a preference for the 2600 where gaming is the primary concern, then OP should be set for the next 3-5 years.

So close to the 3000s' launches though, I'd be very tempted to wait to see where prices and performance settle at. Worst case, the 2600/2700 should still get considerably cheaper.
I agree on all points. I kinda wish you guys would pin a thread with this advice until Zen 2 launches. I must post this sentiment in 2600 threads every 20 minutes......LOL. I know I'm new around here but doesn't anyone search threads before posting?

Rojak

Commendable
May 8, 2019
Get the 2600, the 1300X isn't good enough for all games to be played at ultra. It'll play most games, but it's too low-end for a gaming rig, especially when you can afford a 2600, there's no point in going with the 1300X then.

As fro the GPU, since you also have Freesync, I would say go with an RX 590 or RX 580 8 GB, you might not be able to play all games at ultra but all of them will run at high easily. At ultra, 75 FPS will not be stable, especially in very demanding games like the newer Assassin's Creed titles, Ghost Recon: Wildlands, etc.

If you absolutely want 75 FPS stable, then I would say get the RTX 2060, and you can use Freesync with an Nvidia GPU anyway, so you'll be fine. RTX 2060 will give you what you want in almost every game. Again, there will be a few exceptions, because ultra settings in some games require ridiculous GPU horsepower, while they don't increase visual quality that much, so compromises have to be made sometimes.

Thanks for the response. I'll try to decide at the end of may. But ryzen 31300X is definitely out of the list

Rojak

Commendable
May 8, 2019
Meh. Give me a 1600 any day of the week or twice on Tuesday for $20 more. It costs more than a 2200g on amazon too. I also wouldn't pay $35 more for it than a 1200. But I agree it could possibly be adequate depending on pricing and the rest of the parts he's looking at. My pricing could be irrelevant depending on location as well. Still a terrible time to be CPU shopping.
Should I wait until june for building this?