Big memory in small case?

lowep

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
Hi there, I have a question about upgrading ram in my 64-bit Win7 PC with Intel DQ57TM mobo.

Until now I have run with no problem a combo kit of 2 x 2GB sticks of Kingston RAM. Today I upgraded to 2 separate but identical sticks of 4GB (total 8GB) RAM and this works fine :)

But when I add one of the original sticks of 2GB RAM things start to get complicated insofar as the computer system recognizes all three sticks of RAM (4GB+4GB) + 2GB = 10GB but only uses 1 4GB stick, with "System" reporting as follows: Installed memory (RAM): 10.00GB (3.93GB useable)"!!

This is surprising as the mobo can handle up to 16GB RAM, the 3 sticks are in the right slots according to the mobo manual, and the system confirms it is "64 bit operating system" so it ought to be able to handle 10GB with no problem.

As I wrote further up, when I remove the 2GB the 2x4GB works fine, and also I checked before I got the 2 x 4GB that the PC runs fine with just one or two of the original 2GB sticks too. Also I double checked that apart from each of the new sticks being 4TB instead of 2TB the brand and model number is the same as the original 2 x 2TB RAM... with only one slight difference: the original 2 x 2TB came together as a kit of 2 sticks and the model name indicates this as such ..........K2/.... and also specifies on each stick "KIT of 2" Maybe this "kit" combo causes some kind of problem when added together with other RAM but I figure this is unlikely and besides that the computer starts up and runs ok with just one of these kit of 2 sticks of 2TB installed.

So what is going on?

Anyways now comes the interesting bit: I would like to see if adding the 2nd 2GB stick to the empty channel solves the problem by giving me a combination of 2 pairs of matched RAM ie 2 x 4GB + 2 x 2GB = 12GB RAM. BUT the copper pipes of my CPU are so bulky that one of them comes quite close to the 4th RAM slot on my mobo that so far is empty. I can squeeze my last 2GB stick of RAM into this slot and snap closed the catches - but when I do this one of the 4 big square black panels on the front of the RAM stick (same side as the Kingston label) touches one of the copper pipes of the CPU that I think is part of the CPU cooling system.

What risk if any do I run by operating the computer with this black square on the RAM stick touching the copper pipe of the CPU cooling system: overheating? short circuit? exploding computer or.... no problemm whatsoever?

To resolve this, I reckon I have three choices:
(1) just be happy with the upgrade to 2 x4TB sticks that are running fine and put away the original pair of 2 x 2TB sticks for a rainy day
(2) continue to investigate why the combo of 2 x 4TB + 1 x 2TB is not working as it should even though all 10TB it is recognized by the system, or
(3) add in the outstanding 2TB so that all four slots are utilized despite the fact that it touches the copper pipe of the CPU cooler, or....

What would you do?

Solution

Something doesn't add up correctly with your explanation, are the ram same brand with voltages or not ?
It's not a good idea to put 2gb in 2 slots and another 4gb ram stick in the other slot.
Either buy 2 8gb memory sticks or buy the same memory at 4gb each and put it in all 4 slots.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000006611.html
Read what intel has to say before buying memory for that board again

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820239613

Two of these for a total 115.00 would be a better bet

lowep

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
Thanks Maikutech for your very quick reply!

I absolutely agree something doesn´t add up.

Yes all 4 sticks of RAM have the same voltage.

I am running into a problem when I attempt to install a matched pair of 2 x 4GB + third stick of 2TB.

Yes I carefully read the mobo manual before attempting this. Here is what it has to say about how to install one matched pair and one additional (ie three) sticks of RAM

Installing and Removing System Memory
Desktop board DQ57TM has four 240-pin DDR3 DIMM sockets arranged as DIMM 0 and
DIMM 1 in both Channel A and Channel B.
NOTE
A DIMM must be present in at least one of the DIMM 0 sockets when you are using
only one or two DIMMs with a processor that does not support Intel Graphics
Technology.
Guidelines for Dual Channel Memory Configuration
Before installing DIMMs, read and follow these guidelines for dual channel memory
configuration.
Two or Four DIMMs
Install a matched pair of DIMMs equal in speed and size (see Figure 15) in the DIMM 0
(blue) sockets of channels A and B.
Figure 15. Example Dual Channel Memory Configuration with Two DIMMs
Intel Desktop Board DQ57TM Product Guide
If additional memory is to be used, install another matched pair of DIMMs in the
DIMM 1 (black) sockets of channels A and B (see Figure 16).
Figure 16. Example Dual Channel Memory Configuration with Four DIMMs
Three DIMMs
If you want to use three DIMMs in a dual-channel configuration, install a matched pair
of DIMMs equal in speed and size in the DIMM 0 (blue) socket of channel A and the
DIMM 0 (blue) socket of channel B. Install the third DIMM in the DIMM 1 (black)
socket of either channel A or channel B (see Figure 17).

Figure 17. Example Dual Channel Memory Configuration with Three DIMMs
NOTE
All other memory configurations will result in single channel memory operation.

The last line of this quoted text is the problem I am facing.

Maybe the third stick has to be the same size as the matched pair in the blue sockets - though the manual does not say this?

Taking this into consideration, what do you reckon is causing the problem?

Thats a simple answer in itself "Intel corporation", this is why I don't buy or bother with intel motherboards.
Because they lead to problems one way or another, such as your issue you are having now.
I suggest you call or start a support ticket with them and ask them what the problem is with the memory slots on the mobo.
If you don't want to call buy a new mid micro atx mobo, during late winter mobo prices drop down low enough to buy new.

lowep

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
Thanks again for your helpful reply that has encouraged me to persist and try to resolve this myself rather than expecting an Intel customer representative to come up with a solution.

Despite the close proximity of the copper pipes, I decided this morning to risk putting in the remaining stick of 2GB RAM in the empty 4th slot that I had not tried before, bringing the total configuration up to 12GB (2x 4GB + 2x2GB) and much to my surprise - it worked!

So now my "System" shows 12GB RAM with no message about any of it being unusable :)

This brings me back to the reason that I posted this question about inserting RAM in close proximity to one of the copper tubes of the CPU, since now one stick of RAM (barely) touches one of the copper tubes, as you can see in the photo that I have uploaded here:

http://s86.photobucket.com/user/shengani/media/IMG_3341_zpspnyghdqo.jpg.html

Probably the optimal solution would be to shift the mobo into a larger case, though would prefer to keep using the one I have. Just not sure if it is risky to continue to do so with the RAM so close to the copper tube of the CPU. So two questions:

Do these copper tubes usually heat up a lot when the computer is working?

What are the flat black squares on the RAM, as it is one of these that touches the copper tube not any other part of the circuitry? Are they non-metal mounting boards of the memory stick´s chips or are they metal components that conduct electricity when the computer is switched on?

Honestly it shouldn't do any harm at all.
Long as the ram is inserted correctly.
Everything will work fine.
I've had artic heat sink coolers touch my ram lightly.
Never had it short out due to Kingston small designs.

Solution