Big Patch for Battlefield 3 PC Planned This Week

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
They deployed this big patch on PC today. What a total train wreck. All of my favorite servers are gone! DICE has been cracking down on any server not running their very narrow set of rules. It's like they're deliberately trying to make the game not be fun. They've nerfed perfectly fine weapons like the G3A3 and went on this tirade attacking stat-padders and boosters by restricting servers to 5 players to start. We still don't have VOIP for squad communication on PC. We don't have additional squads either, just new colors and a tweaked UI. What we have is a patch that caused all sorts of collateral damage.

DICE also finally launched unranked servers, 4 weeks late I might add. Unfortunately, you still have to pay server providers to host them. It's really ridiculous that I can download and run the software on my home server, but then I can't get it to show up in Battlelog because because DICE and EA's greed is blocking home servers. At least there it's possible to set what is locked or unlocked, increase ticket counts, and tweak game dynamics.

I really don't like this new patch. DICE needs to lighten up and focus on making the game fun and inviting. DICE is way too focused on the competitive aspect of Battlefield 3.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
[citation][nom]theweedaman[/nom]Great work DICE. Enjoying the game, even with the bugs. Every piece of software has bugs and at least there's a team willing to put in the hours to fix them, even if they don't release a patch everyday for every bug that people whine about. Think about how many more problems that would cause Dice. Having 20 patch updates a week, only for the noob user with spyware/malware on their PC and then has problems patching the game, and then raging about the patch not installing....or whatever the case may be.Keep up the good work DICE, BF3 rocks![/citation]

I completely agree, except, I don't have problems patching the game, but I do have problems loading in. No malware, I scan my pc regularly with Bitdefender Total Suite (yes, I pay for it) and I don't download anything except games, drivers, ect. "the basics". Get black screen when loading in, sometimes BF3.exe hangs, have to shut down, and restart. Even worse now after server side patch. Tried about 5 times to get in this morning, finally got in. Also game crash's randomly. On a side note, Haven't tried new beta drivers just released this week yet.

Also, I did have the random green flashing, sometimes its bad, sometimes not. Haven't had it in awhile, so not sure. I know it's on the game side though because I did a google search and read a lot of people even with ati cards are getting it, regardless of setup. So hopefully that is something they fix.

I have 77 games on steam, all work great, and my system is rock solid. Never have any crashing or login problems in my other games. If I had to blame something, i'd say it's the "Browser login" that is causing most of the problems. Should have used a different game to experiment with it on. (could be origin also I dunno)

Other problems, complaints:

1. I think IRNV should be nerfed, or at very least, make vision narrower so not such a huge advantage. In real life you don't get a 180 degree of vision when looking through a scope, so it doesn't make sense to have it that way in the game (I know it's not 180 degree's, but it's pretty wide). After all it's just a game, and it unbalances the game with lower ranked gamers.

2. Hate the ranking, I think all jets, heli's should come standard with rockets and flairs. And when you rank up, you should be able to "PICK" your weapons and unlocks you want to be able to put points into. Instead of points going into unlocks of a weapon you don't like. Just my opinion.

3. Cloud syncing issues

4. POV in aircraft doesn't work with my Saitek joystick. Huge disadvantage IMO. Shouldn't be forced to use a mouse when flying, I know a lot of people don't mind, but I can't stand it.

Just want to say: BF3 is an awesome game, probably the best game i've ever played. I think under the circumstances, they did a great job, after all there is no way to know how the game will work on a gazillion different pc configurations until it's actually out. The game hasn't been out that long, they are listening to the community, and already coming out with a patch. I have to say that I'm glad that in the time of the console ports, Dice decided to develop for PC first, and that means a lot to me as a PC gamer. I don't think Dice or EA gets the appreciation they deserve. I read people in the BF3 forums and they are basically attacking Dice and EA, and while i'm not a huge fan of EA, I think they deserve props on this game. It's not perfect, but it's better IMO it's way better then any other game out there right now, Seriously, graphics blow my mind compared to other games. Amazing. And Dice is doing a great job "trying" to fix things. I seriously think if anything pushes developers away from the PC, I think it'll be all the bashing. After all, they been working on this game for 5 years, and they can't just fix things over night. People should just be happy BF3 ever came out. I never thought it would.

Sorry for the rant.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I dont notice much negative accel by my mouse, i have a Razer with speed adjustments under the wheel and it seems to work well regardless. I dont have any other issues except the slight green screen flicker is still there from I'm assuming the Nvidia drivers I'm using the latest beta 285.79. Its only for a split second and dont see it alot. Otherwise I'm addicted to this game, cant wait for the new maps next month. Playing this on a 30' 2560 x 1600 IPS panel is amazing only using a single GTX580 3Gb for now all high settings getting 45 fps with a 2600k @ 4.5, 8Gb ddr 3.

Using the same driver, no flicker, so not that.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
[citation][nom]dalmvern[/nom]I understand your frustration, but I dont think you quite grasp how IRNV works...it is not a thermal sight and doesnt detect heat signatures. This sight operates off of the absorption and reflectance of infrared light. Human skin absorbs infrared light quite differently than, say the desert landscape, so there is an obvious difference that you could pick out.That being said, the Taclight is ridiculous. Indoors, yes I can understand being blinded by a Taclight. Outside running around, a Taclight should not appear to be another goddamn sun.[/citation]

Ah lemmie explain then. When the sun is shining we are awash in IR. IR shouldn't function during daylight.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]acerace[/nom]@nebun, Yes, space is my issue. My 500GB HDD almost full. And like srgess said, HDD is too expensive now. You said just like HDD price is so cheap.[/citation]
when you compare a SSD to a HDD, yes they are cheaper....stop being cheap

jono009

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Thank god. After purchasing last week I usually only get 5 minute intervals between crashes. Was going to troubleshoot more once I finished some work projects, but heres hoping the "Stability" fixes cater to my issues...

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
still no squad voip, anybody else find the commorose too slow moving between options, and that the highlighting of which option is selected is far too subtle? I think commorose is ignoring mouse sensitivity settings because I have to move my mouse WAY more to select options, and can barely tell which one is my current choice. BF2 one was FAR superior.

I also have not figured out yet how the squad leader's ordered target is displayed. Since I can't open a full screen map and easily see it, I'm looking at a bunch of icons pasted all over my screen cluttering it up. Bring back full screen effective maps and the commander position! Stop accomodating crappy consoles with inferior game controls!

dub452

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Novermber 22 Patch Issues:

Battlefield 3 Has Stopped Working - Error:

Windows 7/Windows Vista

1) In Windows 7/Vista go to Start menu. Go to Accessories. Locate the command prompt shortcut and hover mouse over it. Right Click on the shortcut then select Run as Administrator.

2) In CMD Prompt Type:

bcdedit /set increaseuserva 2500

3) Make sure you get a message back confirming the change was made. To verify the entry is there you can type just bcdedit, hit enter, and you should see the entry now listed.

4) Then close the command prompt. You just told W7/Vista to increase user virtual address (userva) space to 2500MB.

5) Reboot PC to make changes come into effect.

To Undo:

Open command prompt as administrator and type:

bcdedit /deletevalue increaseuserva.

Reboot and you are back to normal.

for all your bf3 fix and tweaks : http://sonsofvalour.forumotion.co.nz/t687-battlefield-3-tweaks-and-fixes

dub452

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Taken on bf3 blog :

Upcoming Battlefield 3 details hinted by DICE

On November 23rd, 2011 in News

Just days ago, DICE released a huge Battlefield 3 PC patch weighing in at 450MB, fixing a whole slew of issues (you can find a fill list of release notes here). However, some of the promised fixes didn’t make it into the patch.

For instance, the tactical flashlights did not get fixed as previously promised, and neither did the change/nerf to the IRNV infrared sight. But fear not, those changes will be made in the upcoming patch DICE is currently working on.

Here’s a list of confirmed items/changes that will be addressed in an upcoming Battlefield 3 patch, as posted on Battlelog:
•In-game VOIP addition
•Tactical light nerf
•Chat window changes (size, positioning)
•New squad changes (ability to make squads)

These are just some of the issues that are being worked on, and, according to DICE, they are well aware of the huge demand for Battlerecorder in Battlefield 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.