Big problem with windows 10 not working properly

Dec 31, 2018
Ok i have a problem that has been bugging me for the past year or two where my windows 10 is not at all working properly some examples of this are left click on windows icon in bottom left doesnt work right click does but only for some apps cant even acess cmd admin from it cant open alot of other vital apps on windows such as settings and so on i can acess control panel from cmd tho there is so much more things that do not work for me and im really sick of it and ready to fic its so if anyone could help in any way at all it would be greatly appriciated thankyou. :)

Dec 31, 2018
There is no data that i want to keep tbh i just want to completely start new with the hard drive and whats the best way for me to format and reinstall windows and do i have to pay for a new iwndows 10 home?

Wolf has this handled but I am wondering if you made any system changes to Windows that can be avoided after this reset. Things like disabling Cortana by renaming the file can break things. Waiting a year or two can make things difficult so maybe come to us a little sooner if there is a next time. We really do enjoy helping others.

Wolfshadw

Titan
If Windows 10 is currently activated on your system, then no. You will not need to purchase it again.

During the installation process, it will ask you where you want to install Windows 10. In the advanced options it should give you the opportunity to format the location you want to install Windows 10 to. That's the easiest way to format and reinstall Windows 10.

Since you didn't make any hardware changes, Windows 10 should automatically activate on it's own. So unless you have the product key handy, just opt to Skip activation when it asks.

-Wolf sends

Dec 31, 2018

Yeah i should have thanksyou :)

Dec 31, 2018

When i go into my file explorer right click on my drive and click format it says you can not format this volume it contains versions of windows you are already using and i will be making hardware changes withing the next week or so ill be getting new mobo ram processor does that mean anything to what im trying to do now ? im really sorry i know i must be annoying and sound stupid i appriciate the help wolf .

Wolfshadw

Titan
When i go into my file explorer right click on my drive and click format it says you can not format this volume it contains versions of windows you are already using

Which is accurate and NOT what I said to do.

ill be getting new mobo ram processor

Yep! That changes everything. A clean install of Windows is going to be recommended when you make the hardware changes, so you can do it now if you want and then do it again when you go with the new motherboard/CPU/RAM, or you could just hold off until you make the hardware changes.

As for your Windows license when it comes to new hardware, you will need to assign the license to a Microsoft Account as detailed in this link.

-Wolf sends

P.S. You're Welcome! :)

Dec 31, 2018
hello as i mentioned before i cant access the start button nor the settings here is what it says on that link u sent

Associate your Windows 10 license with your Microsoft account
In Windows 10 (Version 1607 or later), link your Microsoft account to the Windows 10 digital license on your device. Then you can reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter if you make a significant hardware change later.

First, find out if your Microsoft account (What is a Microsoft account?) is linked to your Windows 10 digital license.

Select the Start button, and then select Settings > Update & Security > Activation.
I acc do have the product key beside me here if that helps?

The Start button is but one way of accessing the settings. You can also hold the Windows button and tap i. That opens settings. You can then click on the text box in the upper left hand corner of the window. Tap the R key and click on Reset. I wouldn't keep your files or your settings. Do you still get the same error?

If you have any other HDDs or SSDs in your PC I would remove them before the reset and install them after the install and updates are complete.

It's up to you when you want to reset. Do one now and one later for experience or just wdeal with these issues until you change. Be 100% certain that your Microsoft account is linked to your Win 10 license prior to your upgrade. Settings/ Update and Security/ Activation.

EDIT and now I see the W+i didn't work. Here are 13 other ways to open settings.

Wolfshadw

Titan

Could be. A clean format and reinstall should resolve this. Again, the format is part of the install process. Since you haven't changed any of the hardware yet, activation should not be an issue (if your current install is activated).

-Wolf sends

Dec 31, 2018

thanks for the answer i cant acess settings any of the 15 ways though my pc is fairly broke is the best option a new hdd but if i do that do i have to get windows again?

Wolfshadw

Titan
The format and reinstall on your current hardware will not require a new Windows license. It will (should) however, give you access back to your Start Menu. This in turn allows you to change the Windows license association to a Microsoft Account; which will then allow you to reinstall Windows again once your new hardware is in place, without having to purchase Windows 10 again.

Format and reinstall Windows
Change license association via the Start Button to a new Microsoft account.
Install new hardware
Format and reinstall Windows using your Microsoft Account to activate.

-Wolf sends

Dec 31, 2018
Hello I ran into another problem I turned the PC off and then turned it on to go into the bios and use the USB to boot but now I'm getting the PC starting up but no picture on the screen and no lights on my keyboard and mouse any help?