Question Big temps on i5 13600k

Apr 6, 2023
Hello,
I recently build this PC (2 days ago) and I am getting 100 celcius temps when I am benchmarking or running a game within a few seconds. Please keep in mind that I am not new to PC building procedure, I've done this a couple of times in the past without any issue.

My build:
MOBO: Z690 Aorus Elite DDR4
CPU: I5 13600k
COOLER: Liquid Freezer II 280
PSU: 650W Coolermaster Plus Bronze
CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower with 2 fans.

Results:
Idle: 38-41 Celsius AVG
On load: 100 Celsius

Things I've tried:
  • Applied MX5 thermal paste which came with the cooler.
  • Re-applied a recently purchased MX4 thermal paste.
  • Re-mounted cooler.
  • Connected to both CPU_FAN and CPU_SYS sockets.
  • Disabled Intel Turbo Boost setting from BIOS.
  • Disabled Multicore Enhancement setting from BIOS.
  • Undervolted CPU to 1.1
JlW6DtQ.png

Apr 6, 2023
Not trying to insult you, just going through the common items.

Well, it can only be one of two things. The cooler wasn't seated properly (not likely) or possible problem with the Liquid Freezer II 280.

Yeah that's what I thought as well, i already sent a ticket to arctic about this. However, what if it's CPU problem? I guess if it was related to CPU or thermal paste it would hit big temps on idle as well right?

Reactions: GarrettL

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
This is a new cooler? Does it sound like the pump is running?

You might also have a bubble trapped in the pump. Try giving the whole computer a few rotations in a few directions when it is off to see if you can dislodge it.

When you are firing it up for the first time you ideally want the pump to be as low as possible in relation to the radiator. If the pump is at the top, bubbles will accumulate there and prevent the pump from working properly.

Apr 6, 2023
This is a new cooler? Does it sound like the pump is running?

You might also have a bubble trapped in the pump. Try giving the whole computer a few rotations in a few directions when it is off to see if you can dislodge it.

When you are firing it up for the first time you ideally want the pump to be as low as possible in relation to the radiator. If the pump is at the top, bubbles will accumulate there and prevent the pump from working properly.

Yes it is a new cooler, just bought it. When PC starts I can feel it working normally (water flowing etc.) How can I verify if it's a bubble trapped?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you can feel a temperature difference between the two tubes, or feel heat coming out of the radiator that is a good sign everything is working.

You may not be getting sufficient contact or pressure with the CPU.

If you physically push down on the cooler during operation, do the temperatures go down?

Apr 6, 2023
If you can feel a temperature difference between the two tubes, or feel heat coming out of the radiator that is a good sign everything is working.

You may not be getting sufficient contact or pressure with the CPU.

If you physically push down on the cooler during operation, do the temperatures go down?

I can feel temperature difference between two tubes. The left one is colder than right one. I also tried to push down cooler but nothing changes.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That's still not going to fix anything. I have a 13700 and it's never gone above 81c.

13600 shouldn't be reaching 100

Are you running that 13700K at 1.4 volts? You also have a 360mm radiator which should handle things like that pretty well.

The idea behind troubleshooting is to test what might be wrong. Once the results are in hand we can move forward with other suggestions.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Are you running that 13700K at 1.4 volts? You also have a 360mm radiator which should handle things like that pretty well.

The idea behind troubleshooting is to test what might be wrong. Once the results are in hand we can move forward with other suggestions.

That's true, I'm not not calling you out, I just think that is a bandaid. I also now just caught that OP undervolted by 1.1? That doesn't sound right. Granted I have a different model CPU but above -0.075 I got bunch of WHEA and hard locks.

I think OP needs to reset their BIOS and remove any Windows tools if any used to control the CPU such as XTU.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023
That's still not going to fix anything. I have a 13700 and it's never gone above 81c.

13600 shouldn't be reaching 100
Set CPU Light Lode to 4 or 5, basically all 13'th gen can run mode 5 if not overclocked and most can run mode 4.

Also be aware that the March/April BIOS changed the voltage curves. Mode 6 is now equivalent to Mode 9 previously (though it still defaults to Mode 12 which is now even higher voltage than before)

With the default mode 12 my i5-13600 generates around 220w of heat but set to light lode mode 4 it drops to 165w.

Last edited:

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Set CPU Light Lode to 4 or 5, basically all 13'th gen can run mode 5 if not overclocked and most can run mode 4.

Also be aware that the March/April BIOS changed the voltage curves. Mode 6 is now equivalent to Mode 9 previously (though it still defaults to Mode 12 which is now even higher voltage than before)

With the default mode 12 my i5-13600 generates around 220w of heat but set to light lode mode 4 it drops to 165w.
Why are you quoting me?

May 28, 2023
I have a I5-13600k rig that I bought from a kid on Facebook Marketplace for only $1,200. He sold it to me telling me that it was running really hot and he didn't know what to do to fix it, he told me that he had built it. I hooked it up and at an idle the CPU was right around 40c than I ran some 3DMark Speedway tests and CPU Profile bench tests with HW Monitor running on my second screen and sure enough it was pegging 100+C and the processor was thermal throttling itself. The next thing I did was create a Positive Airflow in the Case following the rule of thumb top and back exhaust and bottom, front and side, intake. The young man that I bought it from had it set up with 3 intake and 6 exhaust which created a negative case pressure and with the system having an air cooled 3080ti it was also making it run very hot as well. Next I pulled the Lian Li Galahad 360 and found that he had used a thermal pad not thermal paste so I cleaned off the pad residue and used some PK-3 Thermal Paste on it and reseated the cooler. Then I ran the same tests again and now at factory changing no settings in the BIOS it is hitting 5.2 and only hitting a max temp of 84c. I played with some of the settings and OCed the processor up to 5.6 and I hit a high temp of 95c with no thermal throttling. The test scores went up substantially too scoring as high as a 24874 on Fire Strike Extreme which is better than 98% of all computers tested on theat test in 3DMark I will take that! Anyhow I am really thinking looking at that case that you really do not have enough positive case airflow. Remember that a GPU can get pretty warm too. Hopefully this helps you in some way. Oh and I think that the PK-3 paste is the best available paste on the market too.

JunCLJ

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2016
I am experiencing the same issue here and I'm searching for a solution to reduce the idle temperature to 30-35 degrees Celsius.

My Intel Core i5-13600K is currently running with default settings on an MSI MPG Z790 Carbon Wifi motherboard, equipped with G.Skill TridentZ DDR5 7200MHz 16GBx2 RAM. My CPU cooler is the Thermalright Frozen Magic 360 ARGB.

At present, my CPU's idle temperature hovers around 41-48 degrees Celsius. In my quest for a solution, I conducted a Google search and stumbled upon a Reddit post. According to the post, reducing the CPU lite load to "Mode 1" in the OC -> CPU advanced configuration helped resolve the issue. The default setting for CPU lite load was "Auto," which equated to "Mode 12." After making this adjustment, my Intel Core i5-13600K's voltage dropped to 1.22V.

However, the problem still persists. When I tested the CPU with Cinebench R23, the temperature reached only 67 degrees Celsius at 100% full load, a significant improvement from the default CPU lite load at "Auto" (Mode 12), which reached 92 degrees Celsius at full load. Nevertheless, the CPU continues to idle between 41-48 degrees Celsius.

I'm now wondering how I can further reduce the CPU's idle temperature to 30 degrees Celsius, especially given that my room temperature is a comfortable 22 degrees Celsius.

Currently, I'm using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme thermal paste and have also placed an order for Arctic MX-6, which is on its way for delivery.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023
I am experiencing the same issue here and I'm searching for a solution to reduce the idle temperature to 30-35 degrees Celsius.

My Intel Core i5-13600K is currently running with default settings on an MSI MPG Z790 Carbon Wifi motherboard, equipped with G.Skill TridentZ DDR5 7200MHz 16GBx2 RAM. My CPU cooler is the Thermalright Frozen Magic 360 ARGB.

At present, my CPU's idle temperature hovers around 41-48 degrees Celsius. In my quest for a solution, I conducted a Google search and stumbled upon a Reddit post. According to the post, reducing the CPU lite load to "Mode 1" in the OC -> CPU advanced configuration helped resolve the issue. The default setting for CPU lite load was "Auto," which equated to "Mode 12." After making this adjustment, my Intel Core i5-13600K's voltage dropped to 1.22V.

However, the problem still persists. When I tested the CPU with Cinebench R23, the temperature reached only 67 degrees Celsius at 100% full load, a significant improvement from the default CPU lite load at "Auto" (Mode 12), which reached 92 degrees Celsius at full load. Nevertheless, the CPU continues to idle between 41-48 degrees Celsius.

I'm now wondering how I can further reduce the CPU's idle temperature to 30 degrees Celsius, especially given that my room temperature is a comfortable 22 degrees Celsius.

Currently, I'm using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme thermal paste and have also placed an order for Arctic MX-6, which is on its way for delivery.
Have you found solution?

Have you found solution?
The default voltage curve for most 13600K will send an excessive amount of voltage to the CPU. This extra voltage is not necessary. The solution for all Intel CPUs is to adjust the voltage to what the CPU needs. The default value is deliberately set high by Intel so they can guarantee long term stability 10 years from now. Reducing this excess voltage today will allow the CPU to run significantly cooler.

If you have a motherboard with the B760 chipset, you will need to use an early BIOS version or an early microcode version which allows CPU voltage control. Many Asus and Gigabyte boards have an option in the BIOS so you can easily run the early microcode. Intel added Undervolt Protection to the most recent microcode versions. This prevents you from reducing the voltage and can cut CPU performance in half if you try to use a tiny undervolt. The ThrottleStop FIVR window makes it easy to see when Undervolt Protection has been enabled. HWiNFO can also report this information.

bpinOAW.png

Set the voltage appropriately, do not cheap out on a cooler and these CPUs will run great. You can adjust the turbo power limits in the BIOS to however much cooling you can afford. This will allow you to come up with a performance vs heat balance that is right for you.