Bigger than I thought

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mick- Jagger

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014
Hi guys,I'm in a spot of bother here,desktop and its guts all over the floor,I'm upgrading my old HP Elite 320.No longer is the i-3 still in there.,and ive taken out the h57 that was in there.I have put in new i54690k into this Asus Z97-A,as nice as it looks I didnt check lengths!!,it seems to be just 4mm too long as it hits the only original part left,the Hitachi drive..??I'm stuck here any help would be appreciated..I also have here Gtx660.Will I be able to get this in?,it seems maybe if I can upgrade the drive ,get slightly shorter one then will it fit,also the PSU is still hanging out and will that go in after too.thanks

Solution

Stop what you're doing before you break all your fancy new parts. Computers aren't like suitcases - stuffing in an inappropriate motherboard for your case isn't like trying to jam in an extra pair of pants in a full suitcases.

Also urge you to find a table. Building a PC on a carpeted floor is another Really Bad Idea.

Mick- Jagger

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014
And I might have to get another same motherboard I might have gone and broken this.Out the box 4hours ago too...whilst putting in GTX660,(it was on table,but it slipped a little),and the first gfx card slot it was in,is now bent very slightly!!!..I'd say about3-5 degrees,and the card is slightly wobbly when slotted??,will this still work?is it made of tough stuff,or can I change to the second slot?if it has to go back then this is an expensive lesson..I'm embarrassed too,I could have left this ltext out but I'm not.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

The only way to check it is to check it.

You don't need to isntall the GPU just to do a basic fire up of the computer. Just use the integrated graphics until it's actually in a case to verify you're working!

Mick- Jagger

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014
Ok,Thankyou ever so much,I've taken all that on board,feel bit silly now!..I even got the dremill out and started attacking mesh frame near disk drive,in an attempt to fit it in..can't believe I thought it would fit

Mick- Jagger

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014
Just bought the carbide windowed 300series Atx...seeing as I've now upgraded all but the old Hitachi Disk Drive ,I may as well replace this too with?!?..thanks again for your input

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

I'm glad we stopped you before the butchery!

Mick- Jagger

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014
Hi all,thankyou for all the help and advice the other week,Heres an update,I totally stopped what i was doing,packed everything up and put in an order(which took 14 days to arrive)for a Thermaltake GT10,thought i'd go all out here.Had the Mobo tested properly and its fine along with the GFX card so thankfully no damage was done.Cleared the table i use for my Modelwork.Now tower has arrived all this now has to go in.Had also to buy quickly aNew Samsung DvdMulti,so i can install my refurbished copy of win7 pro easier.Bit nervous about putting it all in,as the Asus z97it seems a totally diffrent Motherboard to the one in this old Hpelite.some of the smaller cables look diffrent.Suppose i'll find out soon enough if im in over my head!Don't think ive left anything out now?!...Thanks again for the advice etc and ill let you know how this project of mine pans out.;)

Mick- Jagger

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014
Hi zim heres where i am,i'm almost there mate,got 99%of this lovely Pc built.It's up and running really nice.very quiet too,can hardly hear the 1 out of four fans i got going and the cooler fan too.For some reason the door fan,the top fan and the front fan youc ant get too are all wired up to this what it seems goes to a USB 3.0 cable.This splits into the three fans that still need to be connected.Ive followed it right through the case and ive taken a picture of the kind of 4xpin connector at the end mate.Also another pic of the mobo.As this cable also inc the lights that are attached to the fans and the 2x USB and Esata.Hope thats not too confusing again!?.the pic will help.

Mick- Jagger

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014

Hi zim heres where i am,i'm almost there mate,got 99%of this lovely Pc built.It'sand running really nice.very quiet too,can hardly hear the 1 out of four fans i got going and the cooler fan too.For some reason the door fan,the top fan and the front fan youc ant get too are all wired up to this what it seems goes to a USB 3.0 cable.This splits into the three fans that still need to be connected.Ive followed it right through the case and ive taken a picture of the kind of 4xpin connector at the end mate.Also another pic of the mobo.As this cable also inc the lights that are attached to the fans and the 2x USB and Esata.Hope thats not too confusing again!?.the pic will help.http://imgur.com/AIsN1WN,S7tv9V4 http://imgur.com/AIsN1WN,S7tv9V4#1