Bill Gates Didn't Understand Gmail

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I like having the online storage. I routinely toss things up on Live's Sky Drive so I don't have to copy it to a flash drive to take it with me to work.

G

numbers of messages vs size of messages. but I wonder why not to have more if it is free?

zkevwlu

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
I've been using gmail for the better part of 4 years now. I get roughly 10-15 emails per day, mostly work related. After 4 years, I am currently sitting on only 200 megs of emails.

So I can definitely imagine why Bill Gates would be confused.

squallypie

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
my dad gets and sends close to 50-100 mails ( depending on the day ). many of them have pdf and word files. after 3 years, his mailbox has 35000 messages and his 8gb storage is full.

He also cant find time to delete the messages so we actually have to find a way to archive the whole thing locally using a software instead of deleting manually..

different people, different style of working, different needs....

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
"Oh sure, I play with everything… I play with A-Mail, B-Mail, C-Mail, I play with all of them,"

Whenever there's a story that makes me think I'm going to think less of Gate's after reading it, I always somehow find something that makes me like him even more.

adiposity

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
"You are currently using 901 MB (11 %) of your 7573 MB."

I do not go crazy on my e-mail. Granted, I've had this longer than Levy had had his, at the time, but 1 GB does not seem crazy to me.

At work we have people who use PST files and some of them are over 30GB. The primary reason is all the pdf attachments they pass around when scanning important documents.

My mailbox does not have loads of attachments, but I suspect that's where most of the space is used up. I also have a few dev mailing lists which just dump e-mails in at a regular rate. dev@apache, for one, has tons of e-mails of which many contain patches. So I suspect a lot is in there.

I understand Bill's confusion but it's all about non-personal mailing lists and attachments.

G

Hey i just wonder if you guys realise that just prior to the introducing of e-mail there was another communication system that was far more efficient and faster and more capacious than e-mail today! Espescially when it come to some gossip news. . . .it was known as femail :)-D)

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Of course it seems silly now in retrospect but you have to understand Bill Gates mind at least remotely. The main for all he's worth is very narrow minded. When he sees something he attacks it, but he never sees the "bigger" picture per se. Which is why Microsoft often became dominant then dormant in many areas, not really decaying, just not expanding from its original objective. So when Bill talks about email he's thinking post office size letters with a few packages, not packages with a few letters. It's a shame to watch Microsofts creativity fall so hard especially now that he's left as CEO, but give it time and Google will find themselves in a similar situation no matter how many Masters and PhD employees they higher. That 15-20 year mark seems to be the time frame tech companies lose their originality and start stabilizing into a big modern corporation, if they can last that long.

I am old school and still user flash drives and on occasional mechanical drives to move very large files and folders that just was to large for the flash :s

Moving a TB worth of youtube videos to somewhere else online is not possible for me.

SmileyTPB1

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
Keep in mind that at the time Hotmail had like a 10mb cap and you had to pay MS money to get more space. Of course Bill didn't get it. He didn't understand a business model that gave someone anything for free.

Of course Bill has never been an innovator, he's always been more of the steal other peoples ideas type of guy.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]adiposity[/nom]"You are currently using 901 MB (11 %) of your 7573 MB."I do not go crazy on my e-mail. Granted, I've had this longer than Levy had had his, at the time, but 1 GB does not seem crazy to me.At work we have people who use PST files and some of them are over 30GB. The primary reason is all the pdf attachments they pass around when scanning important documents.My mailbox does not have loads of attachments, but I suspect that's where most of the space is used up. I also have a few dev mailing lists which just dump e-mails in at a regular rate. dev@apache, for one, has tons of e-mails of which many contain patches. So I suspect a lot is in there.I understand Bill's confusion but it's all about non-personal mailing lists and attachments.[/citation]

30GB? Ouch!
It makes more sense to use SharePoint Outlook integration at this file size.

psiboy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Bill is the same guy who said "you will never need more than 640k" Yes Kilobytes people... not even Megabytes let alone Gigabytes which are now the norm!

G

so many guys here i know for sure would orally pleasure gates right now if he asked them. tom's hardware attracts the biggest amounts of sophomores.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]psiboy[/nom]Bill is the same guy who said "you will never need more than 640k" Yes Kilobytes people... not even Megabytes let alone Gigabytes which are now the norm![/citation]
If you know much about that topic, he had increased the memory to 10 times what was previously available. A similar example of what could happen again, is take the current high point of say... 32GB of memory. Then introduce something that allowed you to have 320GB of memory. Can you even imagine how much software you could run with 320GB of memory? Can you imagine really needing that much? Give the guy some credit, it lasted well for 6 years in a rapidly evolving industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.