Bill Gates Didn't Understand Gmail

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BSMonitor

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
What Bill fails to realize, is that most people are not really computer literate even if they can use a computer.

Oh, you sent me a schedule in .pdf format that's 10MB. I have a question so I reply and along comes the attachment. You respond, and there is the attachment again. Go thru a conversation with 10 responses, and there's 100MB each person including SENT folders.

web11

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
"I don't understand why anyone thinks Gmail is good. You can't even make folders to move messages to."

Its called tags... If you cant understand how to use it I feel sorry for you.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
with so many gigs of space available, i rarely spend time to clean up my emails. gmail, hotmail, yahoo mail can hold my junk all they want.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Honestly I can understand Bill's thinking back then. 1GB in 2004 seemed so much and he wasn't saying it's useless he was actually trying to understand how you can fill it up. A very valid question if your line of work isn't to live on Gmail.

haz300

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I understand where some people are coming from by sending and receiving lots of attachments daily. Using personal email you have more sending of photos and videos than the typical business user would. I would say it's a lack of proper archiving of emails that leads to 8GB+ of usage. I download all of my photos and documents to my computer then delete the email afterwards.

This is generally something you wouldn't see happening on the business end because any administrator with a brain wouldn't allow email to get out of control like that.

G

[citation][nom]squallypie[/nom]my dad gets and sends close to 50-100 mails ( depending on the day ). many of them have pdf and word files. after 3 years, his mailbox has 35000 messages and his 8gb storage is full.He also cant find time to delete the messages so we actually have to find a way to archive the whole thing locally using a software instead of deleting manually..different people, different style of working, different needs....[/citation]

average of about 4mb an email?

We get people at work all the time trying to send insane file sizes through email, one person thought it was ok to attach a 1 gig file and try and send that...? sure small attachments would be fine but it's not a file sharing or storage program as a lot of people think, unless you need the email for legal purposes it should be deleted. Some of our users have emails going back 10 years "just in case" they need them WTF! seriously.

informationsynthesis

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I guess the more fundamental point that nobody is talking about is that Google wants you to use all of that storage space. Why? Because that's one of their most important information assets, and it is how they know so much about you. Ever wonder why Google pushes you to use all of their free, neat stuff so much? It's because when you have 30 gajillion terabytes of data that is personal to you, on their servers, that they index, they know more about you than even your closest family and friends. They know who you're talking to, what you're talking about, what you like and don't like, and everything else in between. And how many of you leave your gmail open while you're browsing around the web? Guess who's tracking everywhere you go when you do that...

At any rate, I have no problem with Google. I do have a problem with people who think they are this super-cool, super-altruistic company, though. I also have a problem with that much personal information being archived and available via a single entity. Our world rivals have an extreme interest in getting that data, and as smart as the people at Google may be, they are not impervious (as we've already seen).

Just be careful out there, and try to get to know as much as you can about the online tools that you use.

wowohwow

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
[citation][nom]Drag0nR1der[/nom]Whenever there's a story that makes me think I'm going to think less of Gate's after reading it, I always somehow find something that makes me like him even more.[/citation]
How does this make u like him even more?

It just makes him sound like an arrogant w4nker.

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
Gates is a visionary, but for "ancient" times. when 120 MB of hard disk was enough. 17" of CRT was huge. and 56kbps was the way to connect.
like it or not, time has changed. and in today's world where storage is dirt cheap, especially for company like google, Gates is "old school".

but i still respect the dude.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Who is going to use email for JUST pure text based email? "Hey, here's my email address, but please FTP those PDF docs to my web server, because I only want email in my email account."

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
[citation][nom]Flameout[/nom]google is creative. microsoft is not. apples and oranges.[/citation]

dude, you compared google as apple. I think you just brought on the next great purge.

enterco

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
Of course 1 GB is enough (really?). When Win XP and Outlook Express were designed, no folder Outlook Express could hold mroe than 2 GB of messages. That limit still persists... and from time to time mail OE folders still get corrupted after compacting procedure.
PS: 1 GB may have been enough back in 2000.

hksduhksdu

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Gates is right for his hotmail service. How much space you really need when you cannot treat hotmail as a serious service? Like, really, how many times hotmail servers got spammed badly that distributing spam email and messages through contact list??? How reliable hotmail is when it treats your trustworthy email as spam and the other way around? We really don't need that much on hotmail, and to be honest, we don't even need hotmail EXCEPT: whenever I register on some sites that are not 100% trust, I use hotmail as login/contact because hotmail is the best candidate for spam trap.

G

it's like giving a house to guy. if he never cleans up, even a mac mansion will not be enough for his trash that he piles up everyday.
if you does clean up your email account, you should not have to need 1G of space. if you don't clean up and let all the junk mail from all these companies that want to sell you stuff keep sending you html junk mail ....yea...it can fill up ....eventually....do you need to store 365 a year daily email advitisment from walmart?target? newegg?....not really. they are useless once you pass that day since the deals are no longer valid...but to some people...they just never delete them like they have all the space in the internet...

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]K2N hater[/nom]I'm with Gates here. I'd much rather download all the stuff to my PC daily and keep backups regularly. Local search works a lot better and large remote files are vulnerable to connection drops, which occur when you need them the most... I guess Levy never had issues with 3G internet.[/citation]

That does not work well with a business. In a business, you might need to remote in and keep track of your correspondence from more than one computer.

This is especially important if you move between countries as part of your business, as keeping data secure requires nothing be on a laptop that could be stolen or seized.

If you are in a business, you can afford to get a better connection remotely if your people working out of the office in the field are that important.

bumnugget

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
well,you have plenty of derogatory comments and put-downs for my bud BG.
So-which one of YOU developed Windows? Ah-as I thought-big mouth,small ideas.
And Adiposity-there's no such thing as an 'important document'-just 'documents'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS