Bill Gates 'Not Satisfied' With Microsoft's Innovations

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I guess no one here read Bill's AMA where he said windows 8 was better than windows 7. Also surface is a tablet, not a table. The "table" PC is now called PixelSense, and Surface has been re-branded to their tablet.

Haters gonna hate. If you don't like windows 8 that's your choice. No one is forcing you to leave windows 7.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]boogalooelectric[/nom]They already have such a phone, its called the Nokia Lumia 920.[/citation]

The Nokia Lumia 920 is near 600 dollars without a contract. The Nexus 4 is $300.....

I don't think you understood what I was saying.

And yeah Nokia does make a Lumia 900..... but the specs are nothing like the Nexus 4 (A8 600mhz processor versus Quad Core 1.5ghz Krait.....).

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
All the Windows 8 apologists are just Microsoft loving twits. It blows, but they're so busy sucking up to their god, they don't want to notice, and just come up with lame excuses why the OS has to be altered to work like it should out of the box.

Here's the reality for the Microsoft Zombies - Windows 8 was not made for the desktop. It's true that it sucks for the desktop PC, because they didn't make it for that. It's true Microsoft wants to be Apple, because Apple makes more money. It's true Ballmer lacks the talent of Jobs, so he can't make Microsoft another Apple.

Instead, he's going to ruin the company Gates built by being ruthless, and using monopoly power illegally to eliminate competitors. Sure, Gates lacked talent and vision, and only succeeded because IBM decided to use his OS, instead of another, but at least he was competent in making bad products no one liked, and making everyone use them anyway. Ballmer can't.

Now with Jobs gone, Apple seems to lack vision. At least Ballmer has a chance against the current clown at Apple. It makes you wonder where they get these guys from, but Microsoft is irrelevant, and Apple is beginning to look like they will be in a few years. Samsung and Google will fill the void??? It should be fun to watch.

[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]All the Windows 8 apologists are just Microsoft loving twits. It blows, but they're so busy sucking up to their god, they don't want to notice, and just come up with lame excuses why the OS has to be altered to work like it should out of the box.Here's the reality for the Microsoft Zombies - Windows 8 was not made for the desktop. It's true that it sucks for the desktop PC, because they didn't make it for that. It's true Microsoft wants to be Apple, because Apple makes more money. It's true Ballmer lacks the talent of Jobs, so he can't make Microsoft another Apple. Instead, he's going to ruin the company Gates built by being ruthless, and using monopoly power illegally to eliminate competitors. Sure, Gates lacked talent and vision, and only succeeded because IBM decided to use his OS, instead of another, but at least he was competent in making bad products no one liked, and making everyone use them anyway. Ballmer can't.Now with Jobs gone, Apple seems to lack vision. At least Ballmer has a chance against the current clown at Apple. It makes you wonder where they get these guys from, but Microsoft is irrelevant, and Apple is beginning to look like they will be in a few years. Samsung and Google will fill the void??? It should be fun to watch.[/citation]

I have no love for MS whatsoever and I still disagree with you in that Windows 8 is not bad. You don't even need to use third party programs to make it usable, that's just an option for people who are too stubborn to adjust. Windows 8 works just fine on desktops without third party programs.

Whether or not it could have been better is not worth arguing over. The fact is that it could have been much, much better. It does have a slightly steeper learning curve than Windows 7 and a few features don't make sense. No one who's likely to be worth listening to is denying that.

I'll even go as far as sayign that MS's intentions are clearly to adopt some of Apple's practices and that Ballmer does lack the intuition to do that successfully.

However, that does not stop Windows 8 from being fine. It is fine, it is usable, and it has many advantages of its own too.

xpeh

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]I guess no one here read Bill's AMA where he said windows 8 was better than windows 7. Also surface is a tablet, not a table. The "table" PC is now called PixelSense, and Surface has been re-branded to their tablet.Haters gonna hate. If you don't like windows 8 that's your choice. No one is forcing you to leave windows 7.[/citation]

OEM PC Makers

[citation][nom]xpeh[/nom]OEM PC Makers[/citation]

You can buy prebuilt systems with Windows 7 all over the web. Examples:
http://www.dell.com/us/soho/p/laptops.aspx?c=us&cs=ussoho1&l=en&s=soho&~ck=mn#!facets=80770~0~1791344&p=1
Dell has well over a hundred systems with Windows 7.
http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/Laptops
HP has a few dozen if you go through them all.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=Property&Subcategory=32&Description=&Type=&N=100006740&IsNodeId=1&IsPowerSearch=1&srchInDesc=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&PropertyCodeValue=449%3A49570&PropertyCodeValue=449%3A49738&PropertyCodeValue=449%3A104081&PropertyCodeValue=449%3A56405&PropertyCodeValue=449%3A313825&PropertyCodeValue=449%3A314567
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=Property&Subcategory=3090&Description=&Type=&N=100020039&IsNodeId=1&IsPowerSearch=1&srchInDesc=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&PropertyCodeValue=449%3A49570&PropertyCodeValue=449%3A49738&PropertyCodeValue=449%3A104081&PropertyCodeValue=449%3A56405&PropertyCodeValue=449%3A313825&PropertyCodeValue=449%3A314567
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=Property&Subcategory=10&Description=&Type=&N=100019096&IsNodeId=1&IsPowerSearch=1&srchInDesc=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&PropertyCodeValue=1413%3A49632&PropertyCodeValue=1413%3A49790&PropertyCodeValue=1413%3A108528
Newegg has around a thousand systems with Windows 7.

I could go on, but I think that my point is made well enough.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Windows 9 just needs to be leaner, more efficient, less vulnerable, and more easily user configurable and customizable some of which should come from the installation level and be installable or uninstallable modular like to reduce the OS footprint keeping the system running smoothly and quickly.

Android root development is a great example of the sort of thing Microsoft should be doing on the Windows front with their next OS they should take steps towards supporting and encouraging customization options. Get users more interested in a more custom tailored leaner more efficient and secure system.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]hydac7[/nom]I'll bring gasoline and lighters[/citation]
You could spend only $5 and get Start8 instead. It'll be cheaper than gasoline and lighters.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
In order for Microsoft to move forward, the must first and foremost accept they

1. Made yet another mistake
2. Realize they aren't a "mobile" company

Sadly Ballmer seems unwilling to accept either 1 or 2 and they press forward with Windows 9 being a the same as Windows 8 only "better" ?? In other words, blind optimism to see Microsoft thru the day, month, year.

For many years now, Gates has been supportive of Ballmer, this the FIRST time Gates has ever even suggested Ballmer made a mistake ... sooooo

Lets ALL hope Ballmer leaves and someone (not just another bonus gather puppet) takes over.

The desktop is alive a well, we just need an OS that meets OUR needs not some garbage that forces junk we don't want.

diddo

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Someone please stick deep in the skull of those peoples that INNOVATION has nothing to do with "improve profitability for my company adding near-mandatory registration and an advertising page of my services before the desktop" but rather with "provide users better tools to do the real work".

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]So Bill Gates has no clue as to what's going on at Microsoft. It's a table, even MS refers to it as a tablet. His entire speech is BS.[/citation]
It used to be a table, then they recycled the name to be used for the tablet
Articles have been written about it on Tom's and the websites at Microsoft have been updated
As to who has no idea of what of what is going on a Microsoft I think the answer is more likely you

truefoe

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
[citation][nom]achoo2[/nom]It's pretty hard to be critical of a man whose well-funded mission is to bring good health and good toilets to children everywhere.[/citation]
it's not that hard when you think of all that good will as a marketing campaign.... his wife has more to do with it than he does. I do not know what he really feels, I just know that Win8 is not as good as it should have been, Win7 is going to linger as long as Win XP has. Neither of those are good for MS, the Surface is a brilliant little device, but who will spend on it other than rich little kids who are already buying iPads?
The workforce may, but then that little thing is not up to the level of punishment it will get in use on a Corporate level.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]truefoe[/nom]it's not that hard when you think of all that good will as a marketing campaign.... his wife has more to do with it than he does. I do not know what he really feels, I just know that Win8 is not as good as it should have been, Win7 is going to linger as long as Win XP has. Neither of those are good for MS, the Surface is a brilliant little device, but who will spend on it other than rich little kids who are already buying iPads?The workforce may, but then that little thing is not up to the level of punishment it will get in use on a Corporate level.[/citation]
So he gave up running MS and has poured almost $30 billion into projects such as eradicating polio, malaria, etc
All to be some elaborate marketing campaign?
BS, absolute BS, you are so negative it makes me sick, if he wanted to run a effective marketing campaign for Microsoft he could have buried Samsung, Google and Apple under a ton of R&D and traditional advertising for a fraction of the amount spent saving lives

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]So he gave up running MS and has poured almost $30 billion into projects such as eradicating polio, malaria, etc...All to be some elaborate marketing campaign?...BS, absolute BS, you are so negative it makes me sick, if he wanted to run a effective marketing campaign for Microsoft he could have buried Samsung, Google and Apple under a ton of R&D and traditional advertising for a fraction of the amount spent saving lives[/citation]

I don't think that truefor was trying to be negative, but just stating that he/she wasn't sure of whether or not Bill cared and cited that his wife does most of the work as evidence. IDK either way and won't claim either way, but I can say that it does seem like too much to be a mere marketing campaign.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
He has had sit down interviews on the subject before now and stated that the Foundation was always his longterm goal after he stepped down from MS
Very rare individual, he realises that once you attain a certain level of money you literally cannot spend it no matter how many houses, cars, yachts, etc you want
Melinda may have started the project but his money gave it legs, it is clear that without him onboard also the number of billionaires in the world that would have pledged their fortunes would be either zero or very few, Warren Buffet would likely not have pledged his own $30 billion without Bill being onboard
But forget intentions for a moment, even if it was some cynical marketing campaign, if the outcome happens to be wiping out disease and hunger then I really don't mind

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
meh, they should be critical of what they did with windows 8. Though yes, the earlier windows phones were a bit horrible. WP 7 and 8 have been really nice, looking forward to owning one.

G

It seems Microsoft like all large corporationg has gone from innovation to preservation of those innovations. Hopefully, that will change; competition is good and I love gadgets.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]01847cvn3BV7[/nom]It seems Microsoft like all large corporationg has gone from innovation to preservation of those innovations[/citation]
Explain?

Outlook.com, Skype, Skydrive, Office 365, Xbox Music, Surface, WP8, Windows 8

All new products, all pushed out within the last 12 months, hardly a spit & polish with rounded corners

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Explain?Outlook.com, Skype, Skydrive, Office 365, Xbox Music, Surface, WP8, Windows 8All new products, all pushed out within the last 12 months, hardly a spit & polish with rounded corners[/citation]

Outlook was just reworking their email stuff yet again, MS bought Skype, Skydrive was made in reaction to Google Drive and previous technologies like it, Office 365 is just another way of paying for Office, Xbox Music is just a music store, Surface has some promise but isn't nearly the first of its kind, WP8 is very nice but needs some work, and Windows 8 needs even more work.

MS has done some good things, but they're mostly not innovation and they've had a lot of screw-ups too. Even WP8, perhaps universally the best of them, is just an improvement on WP7 much of what it is, is again, just a reaction to other companies such as Apple and Google. MS needs to get into higher gear with polishing and when practical, innovation (granted that's really a buzz word at this point).

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]I use Win8 daily on my new 2012 XPS 15. It frustrates me regularly. Win7 doesn't want to install on that laptop and that's really a shame.[/citation]

There are a few shell replacement programs you can use:
Classic Shell
Start8
IOBit StartMenu8
Make Your Own Start Menu
Pokki
ViStart
StartW8
StartMenu7
Win8 StartButton

Paid alternatives
start8+RetroUI=win7
StartMenuPlus8

both win7+win8 and some added ui features you can try RetroUI Pro

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]techguy911[/nom]There are a few shell replacement programs you can use:Classic ShellStart8IOBit StartMenu8Make Your Own Start MenuPokkiViStartStartW8StartMenu7 Win8 StartButtonPaid alternativesstart8+RetroUI=win7StartMenuPlus8both win7+win8 and some added ui features you can try RetroUI Pro[/citation]
I've been using Start8 since November. The Metro UI isn't my catalyst for frustration. The lockups and lags are. ...could be immature Dell drivers. I also miss my clock and CPU/RAM gadgets. Rainmeter is close but no cigar...I don't want to be bothered.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]I use Win8 daily on my new 2012 XPS 15. It frustrates me regularly. Win7 doesn't want to install on that laptop and that's really a shame.[/citation]

Use classic shell or start8 and then Metro will be hidden

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Outlook was just reworking their email stuff yet again, MS bought Skype, Skydrive was made in reaction to Google Drive and previous technologies like it, Office 365 is just another way of paying for Office, Xbox Music is just a music store, Surface has some promise but isn't nearly the first of its kind, WP8 is very nice but needs some work, and Windows 8 needs even more work.MS has done some good things, but they're mostly not innovation and they've had a lot of screw-ups too. Even WP8, perhaps universally the best of them, is just an improvement on WP7 much of what it is, is again, just a reaction to other companies such as Apple and Google. MS needs to get into higher gear with polishing and when practical, innovation (granted that's really a buzz word at this point).[/citation]
Outlook.com almost gives me the power of the Outlook program from Office 365, but web-based and free, OK email itself isn't very interesting but it must be doing something right because 20 million of the 60 million are former Gmail users
MS did buy Skype, but now it is fully integrated system, it is on phones, PCs and soon to be Xbox 720, integrated into Office and will be merged with Lync, MS may have bought the Skype name but it is vastly differant animal
Skydrive may be just cloud storage but it is not a reaction to Google Drive, several companies pushed out cloud storage all at the same time and the popularity of the services have only come to a head very recently, cloud storage is again pretty boring stuff but it is the total integration that makes it a good product
Office 365 is not just another way of paying for Office, it is a way to have a full strength Office Suite that is totally mobile and I can use it anywhere even if it is not installed on a machine. Googe Docs is good, but serious businesses will want to stick with Office, things like BYOD will mean all you need is a network connection and you may as well be sat in your office
Xbox Music is not just a music store, it has free streaming music similar to Spotify and can integrate all the existing music already on your PC, it looks amazing on a big screen TV
Surface Pro is the first of it's kind and a very good attempt, it willl make a lot of people very happy - please note I only refer to the Surface Pro, I still think the ARM RT is a toy and a huge mistake - if the Surface Pro manages to sell well, which I hope it does, then the Surface Pro 2 will be a monster to be feared by all the lazy OEMs that have got rich and fat off the back of the PC industry and not innovated into the tablet era
WP8 is very good, Windows 8 has some niggles that I have worked around alreay but so did XP and Windows 7 prior to service packs or some basic 3rd party customisation, the global software industry is awash with people that have made a very good living making skins, customisations and such and Windows 8 is just another OS to work with, the UI aside Windows 8 is fast, stable, secure and has loads of under-the-hood improvements - it has even resolved some issues I had with DOSbox for some really old games and memeory management is fantastic - does it need more polish? Maybe, but I would prefer a product that works that I polish myself than the alternatives that look polished but just don't have the function or the capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.