Bill Gates Patents Plasma Injector, for Your Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

born2rock4life

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
For some odd reason something that's combusting fuel designed by the same person who gave us our computing favorite past times (Blue Screens), isn't my idea of a reliable vehicle.. I think KIA just might buy into it!

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
An interesting news note, but I have to ask - what is up with these double titles that I've been seeing lately?

"Bill Gates has invaded most home PCs, laptops, netbooks, and even cell phones with the Windows operating system. Now he wants to redesign how cars work."
"Bill Gates' vision is part of most home PCs, laptops, netbooks, and even cell phones with the Windows operating system. Now he wants to redesign how cars work."

Year?? 2050

Car?? Ford XP~lorer

Suddenly stops working on the highway, requiring the driver to operate the key, gearshift, and windshield wipers all at once. For some reason, people accept this.

shushikiary

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
o_0 is it just me or is this less efficient than a normal car engine.... the coupling of a magnetic coil like he's using is FAR less efficient than spinning a normal generator or alternator. You might as well just use a normal engine to spin an alternator to power an electric motor..... which is less efficient than a hybrid. ANY time you have to convert the energy from one form to another you LOSE efficiency. This whole thing just looks like a bad idea to me.

HA!! Found it!

IF MICROSOFT BUILT CARS.....

1. Every time they repainted the lines on the road you would have to buy a new car.

2. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason, and you would just accept this, restart and drive on.

3. Occasionally, executing a maneuver would cause your car to stop and fail and you would have to re-install the engine. For some strange reason, you would accept this too.

4. You could only have one person in the car at a time, unless you bought "Car95" or "CarNT" Group Licence. But, then you would have to buy more seats..

5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was much more reliable, five times as fast, twice as easy to drive - but would only run on 10 percent of the roads.

6. The Macintosh car owners would get expensive Microsoft upgrades to their cars, which would make their cars run much slower.

7. The oil, gas and alternator warning lights would be replaced by a single "general car default" warning light.

8. New seats would force everyone to have the same size butt.

9. The airbag system would say "are you sure?" before going off.

10. If you were involved in a crash, you would have no idea what happened.

11. We'd all have to switch to Microsoft (tm) Gas.

G

@scotteq;

I can agree with you on everything but the Mac part. See I've owned Macs and PCs and they each have their own problems. My theory is the same one that applies to people that say airplanes are safer than cars. There are fewer airplanes than cars, and thus there are fewer airplane crashes. There are fewer Macs than PCs, and thus there are fewer reports of problems...

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Ah the "If Microsoft built cars".... we need to update it from Windows9x era to Vista.

12. Before making certian exits off the freeway, the UAC will ask you to access or deny... twice.

13. Removing the Microsoft(tm) radio or other standard Microsoft(tm) equipment and replacing with aftermarket hardware will cause Microsoft(tm) Genuine Advantage to confirm your car is still Microsoft(tm) certified and will require re-activation from an authorized MSCE dealer. If upgrades are done at home, car will be non-functional after 3 miles, and you'll need to call geeksquad for towing.

(Hey, its a start)

vladtepes

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
[citation][nom]shushikiary[/nom]o_0 is it just me or is this less efficient than a normal car engine.... the coupling of a magnetic coil like he's using is FAR less efficient than spinning a normal generator or alternator. You might as well just use a normal engine to spin an alternator to power an electric motor..... which is less efficient than a hybrid. ANY time you have to convert the energy from one form to another you LOSE efficiency. This whole thing just looks like a bad idea to me.[/citation]
Maybe there is less friction involved in this concept engine

knutjb

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
Given the basic drawing it does look crude. That being said, some are missing the simplicity of it. It has fewer parts and potentially less friction than a conventional engine spinning a generator. It's packaging appears to be a small foot print giving it an advantage on placement and configuration, i.e. multiple cylinders operating independently based on load could be more efficient than a crankshaft based motor. How well it works remains to be seen.

Regected

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
This would be a more efficient way of converting the chemical energy into electrical energy as compared to a typical hybrid system. Even a efficiency of 40% would be greater than the current way of doing things.

G

I thought Bill gates resigned as chairman of MS; does he still work there?

G

Hehe,Let's build a truck around that smart's engine! Then slowly upgrade it to a dual engine, or quadengine because a single engine isn't capable of dragging the weight!
Ow,and let's build a pool into the truck and take a microwave in it, together with a second generation fridge! (those bulky big ones, with an ice cube maker in).
You could later get the latest from the updateshop! Purchase aerodynamic wings for the truck to stay on the road, and buy a big gas tank.. yes, the one that's not available right now.. Let's wait another 3 years before mass production of those 500gallon tanks come out!

FlayerSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
[citation][nom]stradric[/nom]Didn't Xerox really invent windows? Well, at least they invented the GUI.[/citation]Tim Paterson wrote DOS, Xerox created GUIs and the basic mouse tech, Douglas Engelbart and later PARC created windows, Tim Berners-Lee and later Mosaic/Netscape created web browers.

But now, thanks to cutthroat (and brilliant) marketing and business practices (of questionable ethics), all we hear is: MS-DOS, MS Windows, Internet Explorer, etc.

Microsoft doesn't innovate, it acquires and integrates. But the end IS a fairly decent suite of products that really work fairly well, even if third-party software may outperform and be more feature rich.

[citation][nom]FlayerSlayer[/nom]Tim Paterson wrote DOS, Xerox created GUIs and the basic mouse tech, Douglas Engelbart and later PARC created windows, Tim Berners-Lee and later Mosaic/Netscape created web browers.But now, thanks to cutthroat (and brilliant) marketing and business practices (of questionable ethics), all we hear is: MS-DOS, MS Windows, Internet Explorer, etc.Microsoft doesn't innovate, it acquires and integrates. But the end IS a fairly decent suite of products that really work fairly well, even if third-party software may outperform and be more feature rich.[/citation]

The start menu. Innovation in its own right, my friend.

That's just one example.

Greatwalrus

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I'm just going to go ahead and say that I believe this was a very well-written article from some of your past, recent ones Kevin. There seemed to be none of that fluffy weird intro and conclusion stuff, and you explained the patent/technology very well.

In my opinion, Bill Gates has led an amazing life; he designs an operating system, runs a huge charity foundation, and is working to develop new technologies like this for our cars. Bravo.

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Gates design does look inefficent on paper. How bout using a rotary engine like the RX-7 & use have 1 BIG magnetic reaction to generate lots of power. It would take a lot of power to start so you would most likely have to start it with gas or alchahol or have the magnet assembly move closer as it is started to generate more power.

kccboy2004

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Boy, you MS haters. I think that I can state with confidence that you intellectual imps are talking about a man with a brain the size of a planet.

Bill Gates is one of the most successful men in history. Without him you would be locked into an OS that works with only with one hardware product no choice. You would be cursing the name of Steve Jobs. Mind you without Bill Gates Steve Jobs would not even exist.

Current estimates of Steve Jobs' decision to lock his software up as a monopoly = $1 Trillion Dollars. I am sure he still mutters under his breath.

G

original?
prior art?

check:

http://www.faktuell.de/StelzerMotor/

Status
Not open for further replies.