Bill Gates Rules Out a Full-time Return to Microsoft

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gamebrigada

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Oh look at all the Badasses we have over here.. Seriously comparing Steve Jobs to Bill Gates?

But to end ALL OF THIS FIGHTING. Every single bit of it. What does Bill Gates do with his money? Yeah. What did Steve Jobs do with his money? Made more products to herd people by. Good Game all of you.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]Comparing Bill Gates to Steve Jobs is a bad joke. Bill Gates and Microsoft thrived because IBM chose them for their initial operating system. An operating system Bill Gates and Microsoft did not even write. After that, they used the monopoly to get into other businesses, often times illegally by using monopoly power. Without their monopoly leverage, Microsoft almost invariably fails. Anyone remember Microsoft Bob? Not that Bill Gates is an idiot. He's a good business man, but a terrible visionary.Steve Jobs did the opposite. He fought AGAINST the monopoly, created products that almost invariably succeeded, created markets, and did it all without any of the leverage Microsoft had.Apple, incredibly, is worth more money than Microsoft, despite having none of the advantages Microsoft leveraged since 1981. And despite being in very bad shape in the 1990s. Does anyone doubt Steve Jobs is responsible for most of that? What product did Bill Gates create? What market did Microsoft create under his reign? Nothing. He'd keep Microsoft profitable, but they already are. He's not a visionary. He's a good, if sometimes illegal business man. But, they're doing fine from that perspective.[/citation]
Your bias blinds you. Let go of your anger, it leads to hate and that leads to suffering.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]brucen13[/nom]More so to your point, that is the work of a expert marketer and not a visionary. The visionaries were at Stanford Research Institute and Xerox PARC, which provided the revolutionary products Apple used as a foothold to establish themselves. Steve was good at knowing how to best package and present the technology in a way the public could understand and consume. He was an expert marketer and salesman, not a visionary.As for stopping the monopoly.... what a farce! Apple sued Microsoft over the GUI, something Apple never invented. Steve had a long history for protecting things that he never invented, but was top-notch at selling and claiming belonged to Apple.[/citation]

I never said he "stopped" the monopoly, you did.

Actually, you don't know much about computers, so I'll give you a short history. Apple was very successful before the MacIntosh, with the Apple II line. So, no, they didn't use it as a foothold to establish themselves. They used it to go to the next technological stage.

As I said, he didn't create the GUI, he made it relevant. He didn't great the MP3 player, he made it relevant. He didn't create the cell phone, he transformed the market. He didn't invent the tablet, he made it the "must-have" item.

Bill Gates? LOL.

tzhu07

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Bill Gates likely has a greater passion than Microsoft now, his foundation work. His legacy is sealed with his work in business. His foundation is Act II of his life. Ballmer is terrible, but Bill is not going to come back into a full-time position.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]He didn't great the MP3 player, he made it relevant. He didn't create the cell phone, he transformed the market. He didn't invent the tablet, he made it the "must-have" item.[/citation]

Tablets are toys; I prefer old T9 phones, I'm MUCH faster with physical T9 keyboard. And again, iPod only made the mp3 players relevant due to people's stupidity. They're all almost the same, why choose an iTunes-tied POS?

aidynphoenix

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
Everybody has sand in their vagina today.

I could care less what Bill, or Steve, do. unless they help the flood in Thailand, and get those HDD prices back to normal.

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]Because you're completely oversimplifying everything, and missing what's important. Not because you believe it, but because you're trying to change reality to meet what you want.Gates never created a market. Jobs brought GUIs to the market (yes, they didn't invent them, but they made them relevant). He brought the mouse. He created the tablet market. Tablets existed before, but no one wanted them. iPod was a big success. iPhone changed the market almost overnight. These were all markets that Steve Jobs created, or transformed. He created products that worked the way people wanted them to. That created excitement. That created whole new industries. Don't get me wrong, I don't buy Apple stuff, and I had the displeasure of using a Mac about a week ago, and was disgusted by it. Almost as much as I was disgusted by having to use Windows years ago after using OS/2.By the way, the Mac OS was not always based on Unix.But, the reality is, Microsoft never created a market. Operating Systems? Guess not. GUI? Ummm, nope. Office software? Hmmmm, late to that party. Browsers? Nope, again. Wait, game consoles! Ummm, damn, no again. What market did Microsoft create? NOTHING. They used monopoly power to destroy the office market, other operating systems, and even browsers for a while. They destroy, not create. You really can't see any difference? You can, you just don't want to.[/citation]

Looks like your the one distorted reality to make it look appear Apple and Steve Jobs created a market for everything they've ever produced. Apple and Steve Jobs took advantage of making markets out of nothing. Tablets did exist long before the iPad, but Apple used their pixie dust to make people think they need a tablet? The iPad is simply an over-sized phone without the phone and lacks most computing tasks a laptop could do. Apple herded the sheep into thinking theres such a place for such products when they bringing nothing truly innovated, besides a new form factor to play with.

jjtober1

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
I really don't like Microsoft, they got a monopoly and used it to bully other companies through underhanded business practices and litigation. I used to not like Bill Gates because of they way Microsoft was run. He really seems like a decent guy, and it's hard to hate him when he's going around running charities and stuff. I used to root for Apple, but their just a bunch of jerks suing everyone too, that's just business I guess.

Anyways, hat's off to Mr. Gates and his non-Microsoft work.

EightyFour

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]Comparing Bill Gates to Steve Jobs is a bad joke. Bill Gates and Microsoft thrived because IBM chose them for their initial operating system. An operating system Bill Gates and Microsoft did not even write. After that, they used the monopoly to get into other businesses, often times illegally by using monopoly power. Without their monopoly leverage, Microsoft almost invariably fails. Anyone remember Microsoft Bob? Not that Bill Gates is an idiot. He's a good business man, but a terrible visionary.Steve Jobs did the opposite. He fought AGAINST the monopoly, created products that almost invariably succeeded, created markets, and did it all without any of the leverage Microsoft had.Apple, incredibly, is worth more money than Microsoft, despite having none of the advantages Microsoft leveraged since 1981. And despite being in very bad shape in the 1990s. Does anyone doubt Steve Jobs is responsible for most of that? What product did Bill Gates create? What market did Microsoft create under his reign? Nothing. He'd keep Microsoft profitable, but they already are. He's not a visionary. He's a good, if sometimes illegal business man. But, they're doing fine from that perspective.[/citation]

dude.. you lost.. i reckon the difference between a meanie and a "VISIONARY WHOM WILL BE MISSED DEARLY IPHONE ZOMG" is a stupid looking turtleneck?

sirgumby1

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]Gates never created a market. [citation]

Hmm... I seem to remember this XBOX fad doing well... Sure there were Nintendos but MW3 would't be around if not for the likes of XBOX.

aidynphoenix

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
[citation][nom]sirgumby1[/nom][citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]Gates never created a market. [citation] Hmm... I seem to remember this XBOX fad doing well... Sure there were Nintendos but MW3 would't be around if not for the likes of XBOX.[/citation]

dont forget, pc gaming. gaming on the pc is what sets the bar. consoles simply make it possible for everybody to play.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

yea, apple has only a phone to thank for its success, where as Microsoft has an os and buissness applications to thank.

apple is a hardware company with a lack luster os (at least pre vista era apple) and over priced the crap out of the hardware. and they are doing the same with the phone.

post vista microsoft is chasing morons who couldn't use windows xp, and instead of releasing a new os core and leaving all the functionality it had with xp, they changed everything for no reason, but to look different and more like a damn mac.

and so you know, in 10 days i will be running 7 reluctantly, and i have found many tweaks to make i more tollarable, but i still despise damn near everything that is done by default with the user interface.

if gates went back to ceo for an os, i could see a change for the better, getting rid of the graphical crap and the it looks pretty and a return to xp like ui, and feel, not catering to morons who cant use the os, but allowing programs to help with the experience.

as it stands there are 2 key functions broken in windows 7 that have yet to be fixed, tile was taking out for areo snap (i despise that function) and folder size was taken out because ?????? you tell me, because no one else can find a reason.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

Exactly what markets did Apple create under Steve Jobs?
Digital media players existed before the iPod
Tablets existed before the iPad
Smartphones existed before the iPhone

Exactly how did Steve Jobs "fight against the monopoly"?
Originally Apple didn't permit anyone to write software for Apple computers (under Steve Jobs)
Apple maintains total control over Apple branded devices (under Steve Jobs)
Apple files frivolous lawsuits against any company that tries to compete against them (under Steve Jobs)
Hell, originally, Apple had a "monopoly" in the software market for Apple branded computers. (Under Steve Jobs)

Hell, lets look at reality for a moment. Steve Jobs was not the founder of Apple. Steve Wozniak was. Steve Wozniak recruited Steve Jobs as a partner. Under Steve Jobs, Apple originally failed....very badly. Steve Jobs left Apple to save his own tail. Steve Jobs returning to Apple didn't save the company. Bill Gates/Microsoft saved Apple. Had Bill Gates not decided to provide financial assistance to Apple, the company would have ceased to exist. Apple, as a company, has never actually "invented" anything, or "created" any market. They simply steal ideas from other companies, then file lawsuits as an attempt to prevent any type of competition.

As for the idea that "nobody wanted Tablets".....ummmm, tablets have been a commercial fixture for more than a decade. The automotive industry has been using tablets since the mid-90's....as has the military. My local utility companies have been using them for more than a decade as well.

Apple has done absolutely nothing that Microsoft didn't do. Funny thing is, Microsoft is looked down on for such actions, whereas Apple is praised for doing the exact same thing. Microsoft didn't create the OS market....IBM did. Apple stole the GUI and mouse from Xerox. Apple stole the smartphone from HTC, RIM, Palm, etc. Apple stole the "tablet" from Palm, HTC, HP, Panasonic, etc. Hell, Apple even "stole" the digital media player.... If you want to get technical, Apple has "stolen" everything.... Now, exactly what "industry" did Steve Jobs create????

brucen13

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]If you want to get technical, Apple has "stolen" everything.... Now, exactly what "industry" did Steve Jobs create????[/citation]

Game... Set... Match! sykozis FTW!!

G

TA152 is right. Bill Gates is a corporate thug, not a maker of awesome products, as evidenced by the fact Microsoft can't make money doing anything without having a monopoly handed to them on a silver platter, f.e. internet searches, phones, anything else really.

Microsoft is also extremely detrimental to the economy, they sell perpetually buggy, bloated, and over priced software to small/medium sized businesses. What makes the over pricing so bad is this ridiculous licensing scheme you have to comply with, until Microsoft decides to "audit" your business and figure out how much more money you owe them. Even if you manage to have your CAL licensing in order, they'll also see if you're using competing software such as Linux, Openoffice/LibreOffice, etc... and try to extort more money out of you by threatening to sue you for patent infringement.

Of course, the free market republican retards in the comments section thinks that Bill Gates overcharging for Windows Server, or alternately suing your business for using alternatives to Windows like Linux is good for the economy, but paying corporate taxes is bad.

iLLz

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003
Bill, MS needs you! At least give them direction, you are a genious, point them in the right direction. Hell, even Steve Jobs took your ideas, iPad, anyone?

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
[citation][nom]madooo12[/nom]another thing, bill gates always had nice things to say about steve but steve had the opposite, he called him unimaginative and stuff like that i don't remember[/citation]

“Each one thought he was smarter than the other one, but Steve generally treated Bill as someone who was slightly inferior, especially in matters of taste and style. Bill looked down on Steve because he couldn’t actually program.” Right from the book.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I agree that Bill likely has an influence on MS still but not enough of an influence in my view. While he doesn't have to come back full time it would be of great help to MS if he perhaps would head at least one major project , it would be an inspiration for the rank and file at MS.

The problem I see at MS is they have left behind their small company roots which allowed increased feeedom and innovation and replaced it with the typical staid stale corporate model, if anything Bill needs to kick some butt and change the culture back to what it was as a young dynamic company!

Status
Not open for further replies.