Bill Gates Says Ctrl+Alt+Delete is IBM's Fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

funguseater

Distinguished
There were a number of functions attached to ctrl + alt. How would adding an extra key simplify the user experience without endangering your data (its easy to hit a single button by mistake but a combo is much harder to accidentally push)? Not sure of the point to this story, Bill Gates doesn't like it... who cares. And Ctrl+Alt+Delete was for rebooting the machine not specifically for starting a program unless it had its own boot environment.

Kieran Warren

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013
they still could have changed it to a single button years ago. Just have support for both so that old keyboards can do ctrl+alt+del and the newer ones would do button 'x'

I think Ctrl+Alt+Delete is a great mistake. On windows 98, if you do it twice, it reboots the computer. How many times did win 98 froze and the only thing that worked was "Ctrl+Alt+Delete"

Same thing with xp, vista, 7 and 8. If your trouble shooting, removing viruses. Most of the time it's a great tool!

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
That combination is used by me more than a hundred times.. More likely I've hit those 3 keys thousands or even a million times. It does what it was intended to do. Get me out of pickles with my PC.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Meh, I'm with whoever designed the IBM keyboard. Ctrl-alt-delete as one button would be worse than the accidental clicks of the sleep mode buttons some keyboards have. Huge pain in the arse and then you're trying to figure out what the heck happened as your screen suddenly goes blank.

brucen13

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
It may have been a bigger mistake for Microsoft to get the single key function. At least it takes a conscious effort to hit Contl-Alt-Del instead of fat-fingering a single button. Oops! Grrrr... Damn!

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I think making it a single button would be fine, depending on where you put it. All it does ctrl+alt+del does is open up Task Manager (older OS iterations potentially restart your PC). It doesn't automatically change anything, and all you would need to prevent such accidents is what is common now anyway, which is a prompt asking if you're sure about doing whatever it is you're doing. Putting a single button up by the F keys would keep it out of the way - how likely is anyone to accidentally press an F key? But either way, it's not really a big deal.

hiryu

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
Single key to replace Contl-Alt-Del would cause more problem. In DOS era, the combination would instantly warm reboot the computer. Accidentally pressing the single key would mean someone would lost the unsaved work, or even worse, if the computer reboots while writing on the disk, it would corrupt the file and lost the whole thing.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"He also said that "640 KB of RAM is more than you will ever need" was IBM's fault."

I think that could be blamed on Intel, not IBM, with its segmented memory architecture x86 chips (640K low memory, 384K high memory in the first MB).

Still wonder what the computing world would be like had IBM chosen the 68000 for its PC like the engineers originally wanted. Oh well.

lsc

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Wait a moment... is he saying that he wanted a single button to do what Ctrl+Alt+Del did back in the age of DOS and up? Ok, how many people here accidentally hit the "Windows" key while in the middle of something and screamed out loud in profanity? How many developers and apps made an option to shut off the "Windows" key to protect us from the critical moments where an accidental Shift, Ctr, or Alt, was mistyped by one key? I like my Ctrl+Alt+Del dammit!

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Out of all the things Microsoft could've owned up to regarding mistakes with Windows, they pick something that wasn't even a mistake at all, and then blame it on someone else?

o_O

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
Heh a single button would have been absolute stupidity. The windows keys are already bad enough when you accidentaly hit them and it boots you out of the application youw ere in to pull windows up. I have physically ripped the windows keys, and sleep keys, etc off of keyboards before because those one touch buttons do more harm than good.

A reboot function should require more effort then a single key press. Ctrl+alt+delete is pretty much impossible to accidentally hit, but its very easy to do. Whats the problem...i think its perfect.

nicodemus_mm

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
I'm kinda glad it's not a single button. CTRL+ALT+DEL has meaning to some of us. Aside from reset or flipping the switch on the PSU it's the closest thing to being able to give a PC "the finger". When I CTRL+ALT+DEL I mean it. A single button would just ruin the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.