Bill Gates: Tablets Frustrating Without Keyboards, Office

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fkr

Splendid
I use windows 7 and almost never use the start button. I use a little program called fences that lets me keep every program on my desktop without taking up hardly any space. also can you not still use the windows key to bring up a search menu really quick. clicking on the start button and trying to find something nowadays seems like going back to dos and doing a dir/w command. I cannot wait to replace my third monitor with a touch screen that I can detach and still keep connected just so I can lounge and stay connected to my computer. I also want to be able to voice commands for everything they just need to produce something like the military uses that sits on your throat and only hears what you say and can be heard at a really low volume also. I think everything will work itself out and using a touchscreen is the way to go but just like always with technology software will never be ahead of hardware. I say another year or two and everything will even out. hell we are just getting games that can use a quad core so it just takes time.

diddo

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
tablets sized devices with keyboard and office were called netbook and were priced 200$ years ago, do you remember Bill?

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
"But a lot of those users are frustrated. They can't type"
Bill does know you can get a freak ‘n keyboard for an iPad too, right? It's not like the man invented the keyboard.

JackFrost860

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Ipad-type devices can't have keyboards! What rubbish. I writing this on an iPad that is connected to a blue tooth wireless keyboard.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
The bold claim that the PC is dead is nothing but a marketing ploy to get people who don't know better to buy tablets instead of PCs. Of course for many people a tablet is enough, but not for work. It's time we face the facts. If I had to do my work by typing on onscreen or projected keyboards or waving my arms in the air or even talk to my computer then I'd lose my fucking mind. And I'd probably quit my day job and become a beach bum.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
The bold claim that the PC is dead is nothing but a marketing ploy to get people who don't know better to buy tablets instead of PCs. Of course for many people a tablet is enough, but not for work. It's time we face the facts. If I had to do my work by typing on onscreen or projected keyboards or waving my arms in the air or even talk to my computer then I'd lose my fucking mind. And I'd probably quit my day job and become a beach bum.

Wunderland

Honorable
May 9, 2013
If they want Windows RT to sell, they need to aim at the enterprise. In order for the enterprise to accept it, two things need to happen:
Open up the damned API for third party VPN software, a la Cisco.
Let RT tie in and be managed by Active Directory.
Bam. Sales. Pro is a good mobile computing substitute, and we're looking at outfitting our roaming staff with them.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Bill's right. The solution will com shortly with the "Blue" updates to Windows and Office added to new products like HP's ENVY x2 refresh with a release in the commercial space (ENVY x2 is consumer market only) and a move to Intel's Haswell platform with a meaningful amount of memory and storage.
Like I told my dad around Christmas time: "The 2nd generation of Windows 8 systems will be awesome. The current crop is best described as 'meh'."

InvalidError

Titan

Plugging in a USB or Blutooth keyboard and mouse is always an option so lack of keyboard and mouse on current shipping tablets is not a valid reason to reject tablets as viable future computing form factor.

Imagine the possibilities if tablets implemented Thunderbolt... pick whatever tablet you like, pick whatever Thunderbolt-based laptop (keyboard+mouse, 2.5" HDD/SSD, DVD/BD drive, GbE, etc.) or desktop (3.5" HDD(s), PSU/charger, DVD/BD drive, PCIe slots, GbE, etc.) docking station you want and get on with your business. If you have both laptop and desktop docks, you can daisy-chain them to access all your HDDs and expansion connectors.

People who say tablet-based computing will never take off due to current IO limitations need to realize that there is no reason for tablets to remain as IO-challenged as they are today.

Give it another 2-3 years.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
I think the Surface tablets are the way to go, with the keyboard dock. Convertible/hybrid devices and keyboard docks with a tablet are great, but still too expensive for a decent model.

Status
Not open for further replies.