Bing Falls for the First Time Since Launch

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Wait until people start migrating from (Vista?) XP to Windows 7 at the end of the month... Bing is the default search provider for IE7 and IE8 and you have to select something else from the drop-down list to continue using Google, et.el... We should see movement in the percentages once the 7 market starts up.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Tried Bing a few times... looks pretty.

Haven't used it again in 2+ months. Microsoft has enough of a monopoly with their OS and Office software, etc.

They don't need another market share to destory.

Once you get used to something like Google, which rarely fails to find what you are looking for, it's quite hard to switch. With that said, I haven't been impressed with Bing the few times I have used it.

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
bing needs to be better than google for me to use it..

I think the first few monthes maybe people were checking it out since it was advertised HEAVILY on tv.

now they are like.. ok big is just ok.. back to google I go.

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
sigh BIG=BING is just ok.. nothing special.

I remember back in the day before google.. I used to use..
excite and metacrawler for search engines.. dont miss those :p

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]hpapanto[/nom]i suppose you use Linux so Microsoft stays in check and Windows is not an obscene monopoly this is good news indeed...[/citation]
As a matter of fact, I do. It's my primary OS on multiple computers powered by AMD chipsets and ATI graphics ;)

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]Bing was new. Lots of people decided to try it out.However, most of them had brains in their heads, and preferred Google's fast loading, accurate, low on ads searchengine over Bings.In other words, now that nearly the whole world knows Google rocks, only the Bing fans and geeks stay with MS' solution of inaccurate links, spam, ads, and amounts of unnecessary data.[/citation]

Huh? You say that Google is good because it is low on ads then complain about Bing being bad because it also has ads? I just typed in "muscle gain" on Bing and got 3 ads. Typed it in on Google and got 9 ads that took up well over a quarter of the page.

Have been using Bing for months now and have no spam, rarely a dud link (whic also happened with Google) and, well, let's talk about Bing image search vs Google image search...

Also looked for the unncessary data you speak of. All I can find is the picture on the homepage. Are you talking about a jpeg that also teaches you something? (hover your mouse over it...)

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
i use to use msn search, but now with bing i always seem to bring up a bunch of junk. bad junk to, the type that if you search on it the results will be the type that if you click on it you will go to a bogus website, and pick up 50 viruses along the way. :( bad bad bad

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Change is hard too used to using google search and typing in searches that google likes. i feel like an ipod user that bought one then bought a bunch of shit to go with it the ipod died and now im suck in a cycle of buying more ipods because else i would have to toss all the other shit away.

xyz001

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
only reason they have ANY market share at all is because bing comes as default search engine on Internet explorer. I simply don't believe anyone would ever actively choose to use it.

Its like msn.com....they have hits because MS makes it the default homepage and a certain percentage of people dont know how to change it.

Microsofts products are like fcking viruses....

danny69t

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I read "Big Balls" in the title instead of "Bing Falls" - LOL
I don't like Bing, i tried it a few times. I find google is better and has a "cleaner" look than Bing.

Status
Not open for further replies.