Bionic Hand Makes Time's Top 50 Innovations

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
the i-LIMB? lol That's horrible. Last night I went to i-McDonald's and ordered some iMcNuggets, an iBigMac, some i-ries and an iShake. Then I had to drop by iChevron to refuel. Sadly enough my iPod ran out of power, so I plugged it into my iPod charger after I plugged that into my iCigarette lighter. I even watched iUrnMan (hehe) last night. What a great movie. It beats going to the iMovies and paying outrageous prices for iPopcorn. The iNachos are good though.

G

WooHoo!
I'm getting famous!
They should pay me a fee for using my name in here!
My name is CopyRight!!
lol
ProDigit, for real? Couldn't they come up with another name?
Well they get the Finger, you know? The finger, for using my name!

G

It says you can control fingers... the only real advancement for artificial limbs (hopefully nobody will need them...) but I know this stuff is extremely helpful for those without a limb... i mean its basically impossible to understand... but the only thing i'd consider AMAZING...

Is if your able to control all fingers fluidly and naturally... as you would your own hand... so you can type normally... play sports... and do things that require dexterous hands... until then I'll try not to lose a limb :D or ever for that matter

johnnysgraf

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Current myoelectric technology works simply by receiving an electrical signal (activated by nerves) to start closing the device. Once that signal stops coming it stops and once the signal starts up again it starts opening unitl the signal stops again. Put simply

I'd assume the iLimb will use the same concept except there are more sensors to detect individual nerve activations.

So I wouldn't expect to see it useful in sports or typing, thogrom

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I was watching an overview of the Paralympics where people missing legs or in wheelchairs compete. The guy representing the US in defending the 100m had 1 missing leg. They guy that won, had 2 missing legs. The guy from the US..... well during the race his 1 good working (human) leg failed (achilles tore or something.) At least in this case, bionic was better.

Status
Not open for further replies.