Bios can't detect SSD

joonkimdds

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Hi guys.
This thread can be confusing but I will try to make it as clear as possible.

2 days ago, my pc started to freeze or show blue screen every 30 min ~ 1 hr.
Since then, I think I had entered bios about 20 times.
Out of those 20 times, it wasn't able to detect SSD half of times.
The other 10 times, it was able to detect it.
When it couldn't detect, I usually restarted pc or changed the sata port and it works for about 30 min and the same thing happens again.

It doesn't have to be graphically intense games to freeze. Sometimes MS word or internet can cause it to freeze.
I don't think it's CPU or GPU temperature. I checked their temp.
about 3 times, my games were working fine, and then the sound goes crazy first and then about 10 sec later, the game screen freezes.

Currently, I am typing w/ the PC that had this problem.

Here are my questions.
1) Like I said, I am currently typing with my SSD PC. Doesn't that mean my SSD is still alive? or is it squeezing out the juice before it completely dies?

2) Why does bios sometimes can/can't detect my SSD connected to SATA port? It always detect my DVD drive connected to SATA. This brought me couple of questions. Maybe SATA cable is bad? Maybe power plug or sata cable are not plugged in correct? None of these had a problem.

What do you guys think is the solution to the problem? I don't want to invest money on another SSD if it's not the SSD that is causing the problem. But I can't think of any other causes. Thanks.

Solution
First I'd make sure the cable connections are firmly connected. If that's not an issue I'd make sure that they cables themselves are not defective. I'd also make sure that the bios settings are being saved and that the ssd is showing to be master if the case may be or slave if it's a slave.Then make sure all bios settings reflect your setup, save and reboot. When it gives the blue screen does it give any error codes?:??:

Gumby24

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
First I'd make sure the cable connections are firmly connected. If that's not an issue I'd make sure that they cables themselves are not defective. I'd also make sure that the bios settings are being saved and that the ssd is showing to be master if the case may be or slave if it's a slave.Then make sure all bios settings reflect your setup, save and reboot. When it gives the blue screen does it give any error codes?:??:

Solution

Gumby24

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013

If the SSD is master and is working, albeit on and off I'd say there's nothing wrong with the drive itself. It's some other configuration causing your errors. including but not limited to all the sata cable and power connections to and from the drive.Could also be a multitude of other things. Keep me posted.