[SOLVED] BIOS Checklist for installing Windows 10 on new M.2 NVMe SSD ?

Sep 7, 2021
Just wondering what are some BIOS settings I need to ensure are enabled before installing Windows 10 OS on a new NVME SSD. This is my first time using an M2 SSD. My previous SATA SSD died so this will be a fresh install.

The main thing I've come across is that "Launch CSM" in the boot settings needs to be disabled. While rifling through some of the BIOS settings I've found some entries that I'm unsure of. Current settings are in brackets followed by the other available options.

PCIe Express Configuration
PCIe Speed: (Auto) Gen1 Gen2 Gen3

USB Configuration
Legacy USB Support: (Enabled) Disabled

Secure Boot
OS Type: (Other OS) Windows UEFI Mode

PEG Port Configuration
PCIEX16_1 Link Speed: (Auto) Gen1 Gen2 Gen3

DMI/OPI Configuration
DMI Max Link Speed: (Auto) Gen1 Gen2 Gen3

Any help would be appreciated. Just for reference my motherboard is an ASUS Prime B250M-A and the SSD is a Samsung 970 EVO Plus.

Solution
I would think this sets the speed PCIe lanes run at, https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pcie-definition,5754.html. I would leave it as auto

Secure Boot
trick question - do you intend to install win 11?
what CPU do you have?

if you thinking about Win 11 you will want that set to UEFI
This item allows you to select your installed operating system.
Execute the Microsoft® Secure Boot check. Only select this option when booting on Windows® UEFI mode or other Microsoft® Secure Boot compliant OS.

PEG Port Configuration
PEG = External Graphics card. Leave that as auto...

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would think this sets the speed PCIe lanes run at, https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pcie-definition,5754.html. I would leave it as auto

Secure Boot
trick question - do you intend to install win 11?
what CPU do you have?

if you thinking about Win 11 you will want that set to UEFI
This item allows you to select your installed operating system.
Execute the Microsoft® Secure Boot check. Only select this option when booting on Windows® UEFI mode or other Microsoft® Secure Boot compliant OS.

PEG Port Configuration
PEG = External Graphics card. Leave that as auto if you use one

you know where you found those are things I didn't answer in the bios, use the link below to find a fuller description:
One trick I learned with Asus manuals is most of the time the B board manuals won't tell you anything about whats actually in the BIOS. So I don't know about yours but I would expect the bios is a lot like this ones is and you might find the descriptions in there that explain what the things do -- https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_Z270-A/E12293_PRIME_Z270-A_AR_BIOS_EM_WEB.pdf

Solution
Sep 7, 2021
Thanks, yes I do plan on eventually installing windows 11 so I guess all I need to do is set that to windows UEFI mode and disable the CSM. My CPU is Intel i7-7700 3.60Ghz.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I should have looked, how to say this... you can't install win 11 on that motherboard or CPU.

Intel didn't put support for PTT into that motherboard series, I just remembered when I read your CPU model. I helped someone else
PTT = TPM. Win 11 won't install without it.
Short answer: You don't have PTT

Long answer: Blame Intel.

At the time the MB was released, the only MB that got PTT support were Corporate models, so the Q270 or Q250.

Z270, H270 & B250 don't have PTT support in bios

Your motherboard is based on H270 chipset.
See the table here under same sockets, new chipsets - https://www.techspot.com/review/1299-intel-core-kaby-lake-desktop/

the only 7000 series CPU that can run WIn 11 are the high end HX models. https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ne-specific-cpu-after-re-examination.3721290/

Win 11 isn't worth updating PC just to have anyway. Its really hard to spot the differences. Wish I hadn't mentioned it now.

So um, about UEFI, You probably want it on anyway with secure boot enabled and disable CSM.

Sep 7, 2021
Ok gotcha. I'm fine with windows 10 anyway so not a huge issue till I get a new rig some time down the line. Incidentally regarding PTT/TPM I did see this entry under PCH-FW Configuration:

TPM Device Selection. Discrete TPM/Firmware TPM
Selects TPM Device: Firmware TPM or Discreet TPM. Firmware TPM - Enables PTT in SkuMgr. Discrete TPM - Disables PTT in SkuMgr. Warning! PTT/Discrete TPM will be disabled and all data saved on it will be lost.

Its currently set to Discrete TPM. Not sure if that even applies to anything you've said lol but thought I'd include it just in case.

Sep 7, 2021
Uuhh ok so new problem. After disabling CSM and changing OS Type under secure boot to windows UEFI mode, the new SSD no longer shows in the boot settings in BIOS. Only the UEFI flash drive with windows 10 is showing up. Does that sound right? I'm guessing I'd still be able to choose the SSD drive during installation?

TRENDING THREADS