[SOLVED] BIOS configuration change has possibly bricked my motherboard ?

axeder

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2014
Hi there, my name is Mathew.

Recently ran into trouble with a completed build after altering a setting in the bios. I'm fairly certain issues is mobo related. Bought the parts a long time ago but got busy with work and never built until now. Everything is basically brand new/unused until build was completed a couple weeks ago. Not sure why I messed with bios but I slap myself now.

The build is

Msi b550a pro mobo
2x8gb ripjaws
Amd ryzen 5600x
Ftw3 3070ti
Seasonic 650w
Samsung 970evo 1tb
Wd blue 8tb

So all was fine and well until I went into the bios, the only setting altered was enabling pbo(precision boost overdrive; don't ask why, I was just bored and had to be in bios to check if faulty hdd showed up). Afterwards I had no power to monitor, mouse or keyboard on boot but fans and lights would still run. After some digging around I tried clearing cmos, flashing the latest bios via button on mobo, reseating gpu and trying to boot with display through mobo instead of gpu, all no go. I'm now I'm stuck with a white vga debug light on the mobo without making any progress; power is back to mouse and keyboard but no signal for monitor after flashing bios update. My last thought is to try flashing an earlier version of the bios before throwing in the towel and taking it in for service/replacing it. Any thoughts?

Ps. I did make sure the flash drive had no partitions and was formatted in FAT32 with only the unzipped bios file present and renamed to MSI.ROM. After pressing the flash button a red light blinked for about 15s and power cycled, then after about 5min of flashing power cycled again and the flashing stopped. I presume the bios successfully flashed but could be mistaken.

Thanks!

Matt

Solution
Problem solved, gpu got fried. Thanks for the help! I'm glad at least to have gone through a thorough learning process. I don't think I'll be going near bios if I can avoid it in the future.
Do you have a spare GPU to try ?
By the way your CPU does not have a iGPU, therefore you will never get any image by connecting the monitor to the mobo. You need a GPU.
My guess is that the changes in the Bios are a red hering, and that you have a problem with the 3070ti

axeder

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2014
Do you have a spare GPU to try ?
By the way your CPU does not have a iGPU, therefore you will never get any image by connecting the monitor to the mobo. You need a GPU.
My guess is that the changes in the Bios are a red hering, and that you have a problem with the 3070ti

I don't have a spare but that's certainly a possibility, and more costly repair haha. I had it running fine just up until I went into the BIOS settings last night. If I can't get it working today I'll suggest that when I bring it in for repair.

axeder

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2014
Problem solved, gpu got fried. Thanks for the help! I'm glad at least to have gone through a thorough learning process. I don't think I'll be going near bios if I can avoid it in the future.

Solution