[SOLVED] Bios detects 4x8GB sticks, total memory only 16gb

Status
Not open for further replies.

geckovic02

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
Hi!

I just moved from an AsRock B450m Pro4 to an MSI X570 A Pro motherboard. With the AsRock board I could easily use my 4x8GB G.skill aegis 3000mhz sticks (running at 2666mhz, 32gb total) without any issues.
The new motherboard somehow doesnt like them. In the bios, it detects 4x8GB sticks, but the total memory size os only 16384MB.
Every slot and every stick is working fine (was testing it for around 2h with all kind of combinations) and none seem to work with 32gigs in total.
In the RAM spreadsheet my ram model should technically work with 4 dimms.

Any help appreciated...

Solution
Are all 4 sticks from the same factory matched package or are they mix/match? Boards these days are very picky about RAM and using non factory matched sets are almost guaranteed not to work together. It doesn't matter that they worked fine on the old board, it's gone. It only matters what works on the new board.

geckovic02

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
When you changed your mobo, did you do a full reinstal of Win10, or just moved your SSD to the new one ?
At least installed the newest chipset drivers for your X570 ?
Just moved it. I have so many things on it, that I don't really want to reinstall it. And no, didn't updated that. Do you think it could help?

Are all 4 sticks from the same factory matched package or are they mix/match? Boards these days are very picky about RAM and using non factory matched sets are almost guaranteed not to work together. It doesn't matter that they worked fine on the old board, it's gone. It only matters what works on the new board.

Solution

geckovic02

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
They are two seperate 16gig sets. Bought them around 1 year apart. Well that's unfortunate

Status
Not open for further replies.