Bios detects HDD but nothing else does really

TheManicMan

Reputable
Mar 8, 2017
Got a Computer which runs win7, Sata HDD. When trying to boot, it claims there is no harddrive present. When I check Bios, and swap between two harddrives (the current one and a blank spare) it can correctly detect the serial and size. When using Hiram's BD tools, I think Harddrive Sentinel detects the harddrive is there and has no bad sectors, but any partition program or formatter claims there is no harddrive present. Annoying, I currently do not have access to my External cables to try plugging the harddrive in another machine as an external.

Other then waiting/getting hold of them cables which may or maynot be able to find the harddrive, any ideas?

TheManicMan

Reputable
Mar 8, 2017
It doesn't detect the spare one anymore then the original one.. so it's pretty much as I expected in the way of bung the drive into another machine or external cables when I get hold of them.. thanks ^_^

TheManicMan

Reputable
Mar 8, 2017
Okay, i'm an idiot ^_^ not uncommon really..

I thought, Bios detects it all right, a low level checker says it's fine, but it isn't detected as bootable? why?
I doubled checked it with another machine and it worked fine, so that ruled out the harddrive.
So it had to be something up with the machine itself.. but like I said, Bios detected it without problems, so what was the problem? turns out the RAID feature was turned on.. and of course, if it's trying to use RAID and the drive isn't RAID, it won't be able to boot.. So disabling RAID in Bios sorted it out. Why it flipped on I don't know.. CMOS battery is fine.

Oh well. Sorted out now ^_^